• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Skybound Energon Universe Thread! COBRA Commander #3 Out NOW!
3 3

144 posts in this topic

Figured someone may as well get this started. What are we looking forward to? Has anyone read the SDCC ashcan yet? I've got a copy of it, but it'll be at least 3 weeks before I get it in-hand in all probability. What'd we all think of Jetfire's appearance in Void Rivals? Are there any IDW talent you'd like to see return? If so, who and why? Do we like the initial line-ups for the ongoing? Discuss it all and more in this thread! 

EDIT: As of November 2023, the following books are part of the Energon Universe. Void Rivals - Ongoing. 

Transformers - Ongoing

Duke - Miniseries

COBRA Commander - Miniseries

This list will be updated when appropriate. 

Edited by Cat
Edited to make it clear this thread is now for all EU books, so TRANSFORMERS, GIJOE and Void Rivals

Those rosters again, for anyone who missed them: Autobot fiid9fkqks7b1.thumb.jpg.7ac86cf89fd2a8baf1c678ac7e78e189.jpg

Decepticon TF_RosterRevealA9_full.thumb.jpg.9bb7b3aee38bcdc39e6b7080ac7a3d40.jpg

If you missed Void Rivals #1 a second printing is now available at your LCS, featuring Jetfire. One in a beautiful pose in robot mode on top the Autobot logo, the other a cartoony Sesame Street send-up that is REALLY not to my taste. I opted to get the first to add to my collection. That turned out to be a good choice, as my store hated the B cover so much they didn't order any, they thought it was unsellable. I hate to say it but I think they were right on that one. It's for a very specific person. Good on you if you are that person, it's just not me. 

Here's the cover I strongly dislike and that my shop didn't even order - STL285167.thumb.jpg.879c5a982d0890db26f494e7f9f5222e.jpg

This is the one I went with. STL285165.thumb.jpg.1cf02b4570f78401b0dfe4d925c56b71.jpg

Happy hunting, folks! 

On 7/23/2023 at 10:04 AM, Cat said:

Figured someone may as well get this started. What are we looking forward to? Has anyone read the SDCC ashcan yet? 

Which version? There are two A colored cover version that was sold at the Skybound booth and a black and white version given at the panel.

Edited by catch21

On 7/25/2023 at 12:32 AM, catch21 said:

Which version? There are two A colored cover version that was sold at the Skybound booth and a black and white version given at the panel.

Well, any. I only got the coloured version, which I'm happy with. To be honest I didn't even know about the black-and-white version until earlier tonight. 

I'm just looking forward to some well-crafted stories that stick true to the brand.  They don't need to reinvent the wheel.  At times, keeping the stories simple is fine to set up the future.  That was something that IDW lost sight of at times with putting subplot after subplot into the stories.  

Old news now, but see the SDCC ashcan sold out on Friday. I hope everyone got a copy. 

I'm not a fan of that second print cover A. Good idea bad execution. The face looks weird and he forgot the auto-bot logo on the chest. Cover B is just terrible lol Really Like the first print 1/100 and the SDCC exclusive as well. Loved Jetfire as a kid, so might just have to track one of those copy's down once prices come down a bit. So far just picked up the sketch cover blank #1 from my LCS. Hoping to get someone to sketch something cool for me preferably a Jetfire. We shall see. 

I don't really buy new books, but I'm tempted to pick this up. I mean, it is a new Transformers story, from a new publisher, so that's not nothing. Normally I'd just wait for a HC or trade, as I do with other modern books I'm interested in reading. 

My primary excitement about the new deal is the return of collected editions. Hoping for a new HC treatment for the Marvel stuff, maybe finish up Marvel UK. And since we're talking pipe dreams, I'd love to trade in those last several random trades for a proper finishing up of the IDW Collection Phase 3 in HC. I know, I can't imagine that would happen, but I can dream.

I may just wait and see what you guys think. If you read it and say "It's a must read, so exciting!" I may pick up the floppies. If it's a "meh" reaction, I'll wait for the collection. 

On 8/1/2023 at 9:25 AM, eastbayrudy said:

I'm not a fan of that second print cover A. Good idea bad execution. The face looks weird and he forgot the auto-bot logo on the chest. Cover B is just terrible lol Really Like the first print 1/100 and the SDCC exclusive as well. Loved Jetfire as a kid, so might just have to track one of those copy's down once prices come down a bit. So far just picked up the sketch cover blank #1 from my LCS. Hoping to get someone to sketch something cool for me preferably a Jetfire. We shall see. 

Spoiler

There is no Autobot logo for Jetfire at this stage of the story, so the cover is accurate. 

I am interested in this new series, and a number of non-Transformer people I've spoken with are also interested enough to want to pick up #1. From the art that I have seen via Daniel Warren Johnson's YouTube Live Friday with DDubs, it is a bit different from what I'm used to on TF books. Some panels don't do it for me, while others are incredible!  

On 8/25/2023 at 7:54 AM, JBrown said:

Some panels don't do it for me, while others are incredible!  

That's what I'm expecting, too. I'm having trouble adapting to his faces. Those broad grins and other facial expressions just don't work for me at the moment. I've really got to acclimatize myself to them.

A bit late, but covers for issue 1 have been revealed. Frankly I was a bit disappointed in them, I'm down for A, B, and C, to support the book, (that's all the DWJ covers, the regular Optimus one we've all seen a billion times by now, and the group shots of the Autobots and Decepticons), and the 1:50 Francis Manapul if they get it (I love his work). 

Here's most of those covers for your perusal. 

https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comic/4012478/transformers-1

On 9/1/2023 at 2:02 AM, Cat said:

A bit late, but covers for issue 1 have been revealed. Frankly I was a bit disappointed in them, I'm down for A, B, and C, to support the book, (that's all the DWJ covers, the regular Optimus one we've all seen a billion times by now, and the group shots of the Autobots and Decepticons), and the 1:50 Francis Manapul if they get it (I love his work). 

Here's most of those covers for your perusal. 

https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comic/4012478/transformers-1

You are not lying about that. These covers are really disappointing and the only one that has my attention is the 1:50 and I do like the group shots, but there is nothing unique here.

On 9/2/2023 at 12:04 AM, captainzombie said:

You are not lying about that. These covers are really disappointing and the only one that has my attention is the 1:50 and I do like the group shots, but there is nothing unique here.

Yeah, there's just nothing to get excited about here. I thought they'd go all out for issue one. Nope. 

Just finished Void Rivals #3. This was a much better book than what we've gotten so far. You can tell Kirkman is getting much more comfortable with the characters, and the issue added in quite a few Transformers Universe references (Nebulans, for one) in a totally natural way that didn't even make you blink, they didn't sound like something of any importance, just flavour text. Well done. Interesting is the revelation that we'll see a Decepticon next month and according to a supposed leak it's 

Spoiler

WARNING: DO NOT CLICK THIS IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW, BUT PLEASE ALSO KEEP IN MIND THIS INFO HAS NOT BEEN CONFIRMED, BUT BEST TO TREAT IT LIKE IT'S REAL 

Spoiler

Shockwave 

Haven't bought a Transformers comic since the Marvel run wrapped up in the 90s, but when I heard DWJ was doing the art, it was an insta-pull. Then I learned it was part of some Kirkman-Hasbro shared universe and got even more excited.

Void Rivals has been intriguing. I'm wondering how TF, VR, GI Joe, and other Hasbro stuff will fit together, it's rare that I get genuinely excited about new media these days, this Energon Universe thing has tons of potential.