• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Skybound Energon Universe Thread! COBRA Commander #3 Out NOW!
3 3

146 posts in this topic

I read the first issue the other day and was impressed with it.  Definitely a nostalgia vibe but also with a touch of the modern.  So far it feels like Transformers.  IDW lost their way after a while, so it's nice to get a fresh take on an old classic.  I only picked up the A cover of #1 and at some point (maybe while drinking, not sure) I ordered a TFAW variant.  I am going to pick up the group shot covers of #1 and the second prints of #1 with OP and Starscream.  I did the full completist thing with Dreamwave's and IDW's runs, and it was a lot of work, but worth it to me.  I won't do that with this run but I will pick up the covers I think are cool.  I agree that the wraparound of #4 looks sharp.  I'm still getting used to the art, but I was spoiled for years with Alex Milne, EJ Su, Don Figueroa, Andrew Griffith, Andrew Wildman, and others.  

On 10/21/2023 at 12:46 PM, Cat said:

Here are covers for Transformers #4. Also, #1 sold a minimum of 150,000 copies! That's just the first print, and doesn't include all of the world, or digital, so real sales are much higher. Let's hope those numbers remain high. 

Hopefully it's because people actually enjoyed it and it wasn't just for the quick flip that so many d-bags are in the hobby for.  

On 10/26/2023 at 6:59 AM, mec3437 said:

I read the first issue the other day and was impressed with it.  Definitely a nostalgia vibe but also with a touch of the modern.  So far it feels like Transformers.  IDW lost their way after a while, so it's nice to get a fresh take on an old classic.  I only picked up the A cover of #1 and at some point (maybe while drinking, not sure) I ordered a TFAW variant.  I am going to pick up the group shot covers of #1 and the second prints of #1 with OP and Starscream.  I did the full completist thing with Dreamwave's and IDW's runs, and it was a lot of work, but worth it to me.  I won't do that with this run but I will pick up the covers I think are cool.  I agree that the wraparound of #4 looks sharp.  I'm still getting used to the art, but I was spoiled for years with Alex Milne, EJ Su, Don Figueroa, Andrew Griffith, Andrew Wildman, and others.  

Hopefully it's because people actually enjoyed it and it wasn't just for the quick flip that so many d-bags are in the hobby for.  

I'm assuming that sadly, a lot of people (like me and most of us here) bought more than one copy for the different covers (though my actions aren't counted anyway), bringing those numbers down significantly. Still, even taking that into account I reckon it would have done over 125k based on those estimates alone, even excluding those peoples' duplicates. I wish we got a look at the whole market, surely it's doable in this day and age, but alas, it's just not to be. 

I thought I'd take awhile to adjust to the art too, but I was fine with it by about midway through the issue. Then on subsequent rereads it hasn't been an issue at all. It's definitely different, but I don't mind. If I can't accept Joe NG (okay well that one I can't) and Tom Scioli, then I reckon I'm ready for just about everything. It would be nice to bring in some IDW talent as we move on though. Just not Nice Roche though (wanker). 

May I also suggest getting the second print cover A of Void Rivals? It's Jetfire, posed in the same way as Optimus and Starscream in the second prints of Transformers #1. They should all go nicely together. 

Edited by Cat

Big Time Collectibles Is back with a Virgin Variant printing of their Starscream Cover (the one I, and I think CaptainZombie got). There's no foil option on it, all other versions are the same. I would post a picture, but I can't do that at the moment thanks to these carppy boards. 

Link is https://bigtimecollectibles.com/products/transformers-1-john-giang-exclusive-virgin-variant-2nd-ptg-11-01-23

On 11/2/2023 at 9:08 PM, Cat said:

Big Time Collectibles Is back with a Virgin Variant printing of their Starscream Cover (the one I, and I think CaptainZombie got). There's no foil option on it, all other versions are the same. I would post a picture, but I can't do that at the moment thanks to these carppy boards. 

Link is https://bigtimecollectibles.com/products/transformers-1-john-giang-exclusive-virgin-variant-2nd-ptg-11-01-23

TRANSFORMERS #1 JOHN GIANG EXCLUSIVE VIRGIN VARIANT (2ND PTG) - 11/01/23

I've got my covers sorted for #2. Cover A for reading, and cover C and D, the 1:10 connecting and the 1:25 Hitch, for enjoyment. Hopefully I can grab part 1 of the connecting cheap off eBay in the future (got other things to buy first). It's a good sign that my LCS has now ordered enough copies to be eligible enough for the 1:25. Only charging me $12 for it too. 

My SDCC Transformers #1 ashcan and Void Rivals #1 SDCC exclusive cover finally arrived today, after a long delay due to the friend they got sent to buying his first house and going through that whole process before having the time to send me out my parcel (it had other stuff in it too so it wasn't as easy as just dropping it in the postbox). These come to me courtesy of the wonderful Mr @greggy, whom I owe immensely, and am so thankful to. These are wonderful additions to my Skybound collection.

20231108_144629.thumb.jpg.a3416203f34ed5ce936cd6f05ae9697c.jpg20231108_144622.thumb.jpg.83b4fad6253fb8515a2400d8e7f2ae00.jpg

My LCS's shipment got held up in Customs, and they forgot to send it to me Express, so I probably won't have my #2 until next Monday or so. I'm super annoyed, but what are you gonna do, these things happen. 

I've so far avoided all spoilers for the issue, and I'd like to keep it that way, so I'm avoiding this thread, but I hope you guys are enjoying it. 

I'll be here just in time to discuss it by the time you're all done and over with it. 

On 11/16/2023 at 2:59 AM, eastbayrudy said:

So apparently the new GI Joe series that comes out today will tie in with these books. Are we just going to talk about that here or will it get its own thread? Anyhow, really looking forward to picking up GI Joe today. 

The new JOE out today does not tie info the Energon Universe. It's set in the original, ARAH universe from the original Marvel run, that then continued on at IDW, and now at Skybound. The other Joe books do fit in though. 

I just finished Transformers #2 and Void Rivals #5. Transformers #2 was a terrific read, with my favourite human death of all time. So darkly funny. SPLATT! 

Spoiler

And of course, a beautiful and memorable way to intro Duke. 

It also hit hard at the end with the revelation that 

Spoiler

Davey was Carly's father. What a horrific way for your father to die. 

It was good to add Cliffjumper to the active roster, I enjoyed his scene. I'm really anxious for Wheeljack though. Can't wait to see what he brings to the book. 

Overall definitely another hit with me, and I'm already sick of waiting for the next issue. :)

On 11/16/2023 at 2:59 AM, eastbayrudy said:

So apparently the new GI Joe series that comes out today will tie in with these books. Are we just going to talk about that here or will it get its own thread? Anyhow, really looking forward to picking up GI Joe today. 

Do you guys want me to just change this thread to be the general Energon Universe thread? Seeing the titles are supposedly going to be interlocking, it probably makes the most sense. 

Thoughts? 

On 11/16/2023 at 8:15 PM, Cat said:

Do you guys want me to just change this thread to be the general Energon Universe thread? Seeing the titles are supposedly going to be interlocking, it probably makes the most sense. 

Thoughts? 

Do you know what titles will be interlocking? Those are the ones I plan on following. 

On 11/18/2023 at 2:41 AM, eastbayrudy said:

Do you know what titles will be interlocking? Those are the ones I plan on following. 

So far it's just Transformers, Duke, Void Rivals for the 

Spoiler

Jetfire thing, though Kirkman has said he hopes to have them link up in the far future, so whether that counts or not is up to you, but I can see it launching more characters for Earth, 

And COBRA Commander. We don't know how heavily that interaction will be. If you've read Transformers #2, you'll know it's the whole backstory and drive for a certain JOE character, it's just a question of how much they'll play into it in the future. 

I'll change the thread though. 

On 11/16/2023 at 11:15 PM, Cat said:

Thoughts? 

Makes sense. I intend to at least see where the Joe books go. Void Rivals has been a pleasant surprise thus far, and the ending of issue 5 sets it up to stay a part of the Energon Universe nicely!

Edited by JBrown

So Void Rivals is now on a break until March, giving the creative team some time to rest and the rest of the universe some time to catch up.