• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Skybound Energon Universe Thread! COBRA Commander #3 Out NOW!
3 3

146 posts in this topic

On 1/11/2024 at 9:46 PM, Cat said:

I'll reserve judgment once issue #7 comes out. The artwork in this first batch of issues has not been too bad, but I did really like the IDW artwork. It really felt like it brought the Transformers to life, so hoping we can get close to that.

On 1/12/2024 at 11:01 PM, captainzombie said:

I'll reserve judgment once issue #7 comes out. The artwork in this first batch of issues has not been too bad, but I did really like the IDW artwork. It really felt like it brought the Transformers to life, so hoping we can get close to that.

It would be nice to see some IDW artists return sometime, like Casey Coller or Andrew Griffith. Or EJ Su, since if iirc one of his first pro jobs was with Kirkman on a He-Man oneshot for Icons Of Evil (I think). Plus they later worked together on Tech Jacket. 

On 1/12/2024 at 9:35 AM, Cat said:

It would be nice to see some IDW artists return sometime, like Casey Coller or Andrew Griffith. Or EJ Su, since if iirc one of his first pro jobs was with Kirkman on a He-Man oneshot for Icons Of Evil (I think). Plus they later worked together on Tech Jacket. 

I loved the artwork from the IDW days, and EJ Su would be awesome to see him return.

On 1/13/2024 at 2:47 AM, captainzombie said:

I loved the artwork from the IDW days, and EJ Su would be awesome to see him return.

He's done a cover for one of the issues, hasn't he? Or is going to be, at least. Now if only we can get some interiors... 

On 1/12/2024 at 11:50 AM, Cat said:

He's done a cover for one of the issues, hasn't he? Or is going to be, at least. Now if only we can get some interiors... 

He did the Transmissions Podcast exclusive cover of issue #1.

I enjoyed Transformers #4, especially the unexpected appearance of 

Spoiler

Jazz 

, even if he's not the first bot that comes to mind for fire-power. I'm just going to assume he was in the best nick. An issue that very easily could have fallen into cheesy, but managed to stay away from it, so well done. I do wish we'd see Wheeljack soon though. I'm starting to get annoyed that he keeps getting pushed back. 

Duke #1 really surprised me. Wasn't expecting much out of this, and I really enjoyed it. Very much looking forward to seeing where it goes next. Well written, with pleasing art. A great start to the miniseries. 

I like #4 as well. I unfortunately saw the solicit for #7 before I got to read #4, and thought that was quite the spoiler! I have many questions as to how that works...

On 1/16/2024 at 8:41 AM, JBrown said:

I like #4 as well. I unfortunately saw the solicit for #7 before I got to read #4, and thought that was quite the spoiler! I have many questions as to how that works...

Yeah I saw that too. I still wasn't expecting him quite so soon, so ultimately I was still surprised. It does make me wonder about Wheeljack. Is he going to get ANY play? 

Edited by Cat

Transformers #5 Preview. Spoilers Warning! 

Finally got a hold of Cobra Commander #1. Not quite what I was hoping for there, with the whole

Spoiler

Cobra-La

thing. That was one thing I never liked back in the 80's. I am intrigued with

Spoiler

Having Megatron captive and creating technology from him.

Wonder where it will go from here?

On 2/5/2024 at 7:13 AM, JBrown said:

Finally got a hold of Cobra Commander #1. Not quite what I was hoping for there, with the whole

Hide contents

Cobra-La

thing. That was one thing I never liked back in the 80's. I am intrigued with

Hide contents

Having Megatron captive and creating technology from him.

Wonder where it will go from here?

So not as good as Duke? 

Note everyone, there's an Energon Universe Special due out for Free Comic Book Day, and it's then getting reprinted, possibly with extra material (not quite sure on that) and being sold through Previews at regular comic price. 

What's we all think of Transformers 5? That ending!! Can't wait for #6. 

And it's so good seeing 

Spoiler

Thundercracker 

In action. 

And we were complaining about there being too many covers for Transformers #1.... 

Thundercats #1 came out this week from Dynamite. It was supposed to be America only due to licensing restrictions, but a box of cover A accidentally got shipped in with my LCS' orders. I happily took a copy, as I'd been hoping their order would go through, even if I'd been hoping for a different cover. Anyway, there's a cover gallery in the back of the issue. It takes up FIVE PAGES of the book, and they're not large images, they're about a centimetre by 7 millimetres, so not big at all. All up, there are 127 covers for the book. That's right, not a typo, 127 different covers for Thundercats #1!! And that's not even to service the entire world, that's JUST for America only. 

How insane is that? 

Not EU related but may be of interest to some of you: a Marvel GIJOE Compendium is being released in October, collecting issues 1-50.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/G-I-JOE-Real-American-Compendium/dp/1534371508

Two new GIJOE miniseries set to come out starting in June! Scarlett and Destro, and yep, they're part of the EU. Here's the press release, including the creative teams. 

https://imagecomics.com/press-releases/yo-joe-new-g-i-joe-miniseries-scarlett-and-destro-coming-from-skybound-image-hasbro

I received my month's comics today, and read Transformers #1-5 in preparation for #6. When I opened #6 something in my gut told me to check the letters page first, and lo and behold, I'd been published! After trying for 4 issues they finally published one of my letters, the first time I've ever been published like that, but also the only time I've ever tried. Fun stuff. 

Now to enjoy the actual issue! 

Just read the actual Transformers #6. SPOILERS AHEAD. 

Spoiler

The victory didn't feel earned to me. I feel like killing Sparkplug was a mistake, but well, a bit late for that isn't it. What's done is done. What I'm saddest about is losing DWJ on art duties, his pencils are stunning. I've got to go through his catalogue and find other works of his I'd like. All I know about at the moment is a wrestling one, and I'm really not the audience for that. 

On 3/18/2024 at 12:21 PM, Cat said:

I received my month's comics today, and read Transformers #1-5 in preparation for #6. When I opened #6 something in my gut told me to check the letters page first, and lo and behold, I'd been published! After trying for 4 issues they finally published one of my letters, the first time I've ever been published like that, but also the only time I've ever tried. Fun stuff. 

Now to enjoy the actual issue! 

:whee::peace: