• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Comic Forums, Conventions, Stores, Sellers, etc Have Banned You And Why? {SERIOUS}
6 6

141 posts in this topic

Back in the 1990s  as a young dude. Met Steven Hughes twice . Nicest man ever. 

Linsner  wasn't my cup of tea. Ego.  Met him. He had long hair thought he was a  rock star. Glad age made him realize.

It seemed we were buying his Dawn books and he wasn't greatful, nah sorry give me Steven Hughes of Death Lady who loved his fans.

To Linsner if you reading this Dawn wasn't all that great for bad girls comics. Give me Rob Liefeld Avengelyne and William Tucci SHI over your stuff. Respect your fans like @Dr. Balls.

Edited by The humble Watcher lurking

On 7/29/2023 at 5:18 AM, Logan510 said:

He does.

You've only heard one side of the story. I can honestly say in my 20+ years ( dating from AOL ) interracting with Byrne on various message boards I've never seen anyone unjustly banned.

My story is honestly exactly as presented. I've since seen dodgier bannings too, though I gave up on that place many years ago. It used to be awful. He used to be awful. Maybe he's settled in his older age. Good for him. But I assure you, what I said is true and happened as stated. 

I saw him ban a guy for referring to speech balloons as 'speech bubbles' for goodness sake! 

On 7/28/2023 at 2:37 PM, Cat said:

My story is honestly exactly as presented. I've since seen dodgier bannings too, though I gave up on that place many years ago. It used to be awful. He used to be awful. Maybe he's settled in his older age. Good for him. But I assure you, what I said is true and happened as stated. 

I saw him ban a guy for referring to speech balloons as 'speech bubbles' for goodness sake! 

Post a link to the thread and let others judge for themselves  (shrug)

On 7/28/2023 at 1:12 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Back in the 1990s  as a young dude. Met Steven Hughes twice . Nicest man ever. 

Linsner  wasn't my cup of tea. Ego.  Met him. He had long hair thought he was a  rock star. Glad age made him realize.

It seemed we were buying his Dawn books and he wasn't greatful, nah sorry give me Steven Hughes of Death Lady who loved his fans.

To Linsner if you reading this Dawn wasn't all that great for bad girls comics. Give me Rob Liefeld Avengelyne and William Tucci SHI over your stuff. Respect your fans like @Dr. Balls.

I met JML at DragonCon a few years before all that stuff went down and I got the same vibe from him and the guys at his table. He was just really Indifferent towards fans. At the time, I never held that against him - some people are that way, and that’s fine by me.

Over the years, I heard nothing but great things about The Tooch. And he’s still at it, as he was hanging out with Brian Pulido at SDCC. I’ve got a variety of Lady Death art, but have not landed a Hughes yet!

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 7/29/2023 at 5:45 AM, Logan510 said:

Post a link to the thread and let others judge for themselves  (shrug)

I don't think it'd still be there. This was from like 2007.

The three nicest artists I ever met were  J. Scott Campbell, Dawn McTeague, and Ramos. Dawn was just starting out I think and she even gave me her number (in a professional manner) to keep in contact that weekend while she completed my custom cover. 

Artists/writers are just like any other group, some are nice, some not so much.

On 7/28/2023 at 11:58 AM, Dr. Balls said:

So, the story about Joe Linsner is still archived in this thread here. My side of the story from 2014 is below in italics.

I'd like to explain a few points before I get to that: The counterfeit CFD thread isn't on the CGC boards anymore - I've rambled on in various posts here about my insights into offset printing, etc before - at the time, I had obtained a counterfeit CFD #1 to fill in my collection but also to analyze it and catalog the differences between that and an authentic one. Not for profit or celebrity status, but because I found it interesting and wanted to help people not get duped into buying a counterfeit. @Ryan. and I both had copies, and he was also nuked by Linsner, but I'll let him tell that tale if he wants to.

In the days following my post here on the Boards, Linsner did his level best to publicly run me down on his website with his minions also taking part - as a result, a great many people who had run aground of Linsner's Child Rage had reached out to me for support. These people who lent a sympathetic ear got treated far worse than I did - former business associates, people who he had screwed over on commissions, etc. It's my opinion that Joseph M. Linsner is one of the worst people in the comic business. He is a complete douchnozzle right down to the bone, and I'm sure nine years later he's squandered any sort of wisdom or virtue that life has put in front of him since.

My use of his work had been clarified to me as "fair use" by two Boardies who reached out via PM back then. My website was to show off my collection of unique CFD stuff, and the counterfeit thread was beyond a doubt: made for educating people. One of those boardies surmised that he and his wife were trying to lay the foundation for a lawsuit, claiming I was using his work to sell my work - which may have held up if I was actually selling my work (I wasn't, and hadn't for five years). I 100% believe that is what his initial attempt was - because he's a dirtbag - but likely gave up when he saw there wasn't much of a case. Especially since that isn't what I was doing. And honestly - he sold more of his artwork in one year than I did in my lifetime. I have no idea why he would be threatened by some digital artist from the past posting about a personal CFD collection. But, there we were.

Here was my initial story encountering him and his numbnut of a wife back in 2014:

Posted October 10, 2014

I'll try to keep this explanation brief, as I spent all of yesterday battling this stupidity and still lost.

After 20 years of buying Cry For Dawn and Dawn-related stuff - yesterday, I finally met the real Joe Linsner. Unfortunately, he decided to make me, my artwork and my Dawn tribute website the target of his ire regarding counterfeit books.

My role in all of this? Helping people identify how to spot a counterfeit. Yep. I spent the entire day fighting this guy and his wife simply because I posted information about comparing a real book to a counterfeit one. Here's the thread.

I created a site back in February that featured a lot of the hard-to-find CFD books, including a detailed post (taken from my thread here) for collectors to be able to spot a counterfeit. I wrote Joe about the site, asking for his "blessing", which I never got a reply. Seeing that it was a tribute site, and I wasn't selling anything - I made it anyways, and loaded it with plenty of references that this was a tribute site for JML with links to contact him on every page. Here's a screen cap.

The site was hosted on the same server as my own website, which meant it carried my name in the URL along with the name of the site: jasonbeam.com/churchofdawn. Despite explaining how this worked to his wife, she refused to accept that, and continued to insist I was using Joe's name to somehow confuse people about my work and misrepresent it as his - and most insulting of all, that my work is derivative of his art, when it's clearly not - unless Joe has figured out a way to copyright scantily-clad women.

There are many other points to the conversation I won't get into. It went on in public most of the day, with this wife threatening to "release information" about me and so forth. When I asked his wife if it could be a private conversation, she responded with a statement along the lines of that I was "harassing" her. So, with that comment, I blocked her, Joe and blacklisted his emails coming in on my server. And from her threats, it sounds like they will be releasing a "Part Two" to his blog, which will likely contain more smearing about me, my work or the website (which has now been removed).

The sad part about all of this is that the entire situation could have been resolved in a professional manner simply by asking me to remove the content, or hell - maybe just asking me about what was going on! The last thing I intended was to trample on another creator's rights - if they felt that way, I would have gladly complied. I like to think the people who know me here on the boards can at least attest to the fact I'm not the kind of guy who goes around with the intent of ripping people off.

What's truly unfortunate is that this guy had inspired me as an artist since I first saw his work. And while most of us here can relate to finally meeting your hero only to find out they are a colossal , it's even worse when you find out your hero is not only a colossal , but tries to destroy your reputation simply because he's having an online temper tantrum. It was a sad display of complete unprofessionalism that I would have thought was far below the kind of artist that JML was.

I was simply a fan. All I really wanted to do was create an online resource where there wasn't any for people to find out information on Cry For Dawn books. What I got from the creator and his wife was a smear campaign against me while expressing thier distaste over counterfeit books, which I had nothing to do with other than offering people a way to identify them. They were insistent that I was intent on ripping them off or scamming them - and when presented with my side of the story, they flat rejected it and continued on badgering me about it.

For the record, I understand how he feels about counterfeits. Now. Personally, I see both sides of the argument - but he never gave anyone a chance to hear his POV and make changes to their viewpoints or beliefs. He just ragged out his fans, and singled out one in particular: me. I have a counterfeit in my collection, because I'm a completist. And, had he framed his POV a different way, I could see myself changing my views on it - I respect creator rights; had I known he was so vehemently opposed, I'd like to think that I would have given it some thought about owning one.

So, I guess we'll see where this all goes - It's very likely that they will show up here to continue the fight - after all, it is Friday. :banana:

If Linsner had contacted me directly, either on ebay or through here, both places of which he is very aware, I would have happily considered his position and worked with him to resolve his concerns. Instead his unhinged passive aggressive scorched earth approach means I'll never support his work ever again. The great irony, to me, all these years later, is that I was actively buying the monthly book he had at the time he went on his tirade. I immediately discontinued that as soon as I interacted with the guy.

I've met many comic creators over the years, and the majority of them are just regular people with a cool profession. Some, unfortunately, have a sense of themselves inconsistent with reality. Don Rosa is a creator who is all of these things.

Edited by Ryan.

On 7/28/2023 at 5:14 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

I met a lot of those bad girl creators. We have to talk. Pm.

Loop me in, I’d love to hear stories about the guys from that era.

On 7/28/2023 at 5:13 PM, Ryan. said:

If Linsner had contacted me directly, either on ebay or through here, both places of which he is very aware, I would have happily considered his position and worked with him to resolve his concerns. Instead his unhinged passive aggressive scorched earth approach means I'll never support his work ever again. The great irony, to me, all these years later, is that I was actively buying the monthly book he had at the time he went on his tirade. I immediately discontinued that as soon as I interacted with the guy.

I've met many comic creators over the years, and the majority of them are just regular people with a cool profession. Some, unfortunately, have a sense of themselves inconsistent with reality. Don Rosa is a creator who is all of these things.

Looking back, the amazing part is the level of vitriol he spewed, when it was clearly easier to simply say: hey, can you not post pictures of my stuff?

To be that angry, that sustainably venomous towards complete strangers from the first second you encounter them is a sign of something seriously wrong with your brain.

On 7/28/2023 at 3:47 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I met JML at DragonCon a few years before all that stuff went down and I got the same vibe from him and the guys at his table. He was just really Indifferent towards fans. At the time, I never held that against him - some people are that way, and that’s fine by me.

Over the years, I heard nothing but great things about The Tooch. And he’s still at it, as he was hanging out with Brian Pulido at SDCC. I’ve got a variety of Lady Death art, but have not landed a Hughes yet!

Hughes all the way. 

104992027_Scan_20210220(12).jpg.84e359e4b5faaae86525dbbc31db7e30.jpg