• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Comic Forums, Conventions, Stores, Sellers, etc Have Banned You And Why? {SERIOUS}
6 6

141 posts in this topic

To be fair, ebay takes a decent chunk out of your sale plus our wonderful Congress passed that law taxing small time ebayers so we can build windmills in Utah or whatever so I understand ebayers pricing stuff above GPA. In their calculus, they’ll be clearing around GPA after all the fees are deducted so it’s fair. 

Now the ones on there who still price stuff like it’s 2020 or guys at Cons asking 20% above GPA when you’re dealing in cash money, those people have no excuse.

On 7/28/2023 at 9:58 AM, Dr. Balls said:

So, the story about Joe Linsner is still archived in this thread here. My side of the story from 2014 is below in italics.

I remember when that went down. He was so hopelessly wrong, rude, socially inept, and an all around horrible person to a super-fan who was doing him a solid.

I'm unable to divorce his work from the gross man-child behind it.

On 7/30/2023 at 7:08 PM, mrlatko said:

He took the Hulk out of my hand and said "Ok, we're done here.  You insulted me."  So I insulted him by pointing out the facts?

I tried again to smooth things over, but he was determined to act the petulant child, so I left him and moved on.  The next time this show was held in 4 months, the same guy was there and he didn't even remember me.  So, I am no longer banned apparently, but would never ever try to deal with this guy again.

In other words, he gets called out for his overpricing so often, he can't possibly remember all the people who are smarter than he is. You remember what happened that one time because you're NOT a d-bag. He doesn't remember it because it's an everyday occurrence for d-bags.

On 8/1/2023 at 11:21 AM, valiantman said:

In other words, he gets called out for his overpricing so often, he can't possibly remember all the people who are smarter than he is. You remember what happened that one time because you're NOT a d-bag. He doesn't remember it because it's an everyday occurrence for d-bags.

This is exactly what I thought after reflecting on it later.  This guy must fight with customers constantly if his reaction to me was so aggressive and combative.  Anybody who knows me wouldn't call me someone who is difficult to deal with.

On 8/1/2023 at 8:06 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

I remember when that went down. He was so hopelessly wrong, rude, socially inept, and an all around horrible person to a super-fan who was doing him a solid.

I'm unable to divorce his work from the gross man-child behind it.

I'm not one to hold many lifelong grudges and I try to let most things go as time goes on - but I'll always take time out of my day to call that guy out for being a douchnozzle.

On 8/1/2023 at 5:49 AM, Cman429 said:

To be fair, ebay takes a decent chunk out of your sale plus our wonderful Congress passed that law taxing small time ebayers so we can build windmills in Utah or whatever so I understand ebayers pricing stuff above GPA. In their calculus, they’ll be clearing around GPA after all the fees are deducted so it’s fair. 

Now the ones on there who still price stuff like it’s 2020 or guys at Cons asking 20% above GPA when you’re dealing in cash money, those people have no excuse.

I'm not sure that the overhead of selling at a convention works out to be any less than the variable costs of selling on Ebay.  If the dealer spends just $2K on booth fees and logistics, they will have to sell $20K to reach a 10% cost level.   

On 8/1/2023 at 4:49 AM, Cman429 said:

On 8/1/2023 at 9:56 PM, Nick Furious said:

I'm not sure that the overhead of selling at a convention works out to be any less than the variable costs of selling on Ebay.  If the dealer spends just $2K on booth fees and logistics, they will have to sell $20K to reach a 10% cost level.   

I was thinking the same thing. Between the costs of Ebay, Auction Houses and Conventions - and the fact that there are so many of them (spreading out the customer exposure due to all the options instead of concentrating it with limited options and venues) that there is a lot less chance of recuperating the cost of participation.

Add in the "flip" factor, and you have a similar effect that what happened in the housing market: as values increased, so did the opportunity to sell - each time a home flipped, a realtor got paid 6%. I sense that comics books went this way as well. A $100 book on GPA actually has an additional 10-15% of value unaccounted for (GPA factors in BP, but not the cost of 10-15% loss to the seller). So to break even for the next seller - numbers-wise - that $100 book now goes to $115 asking price so the seller can account for selling fees that aren't reported.

Want to make 10% profit? The book is now $127. Want to sell it at a place like Heritage or CC? Add buyer's premium on that $127 sale, now it's $150-$160 to the new buyer. Flip it a few more times, and now it's priced 2-3X it's true value.

My point to that is that like home sales, realtors, auction houses and even conventions are the only ones making money - and it's hand-over-fist, selling the same book (or having a venue to sell) over and over again - while it skyrocketed in value and now as it's in freefall.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 7/31/2023 at 3:30 PM, october said:

Screw you for selling comics at a profit that I sold to you at a profit! Only certain people in the product foodchain are allowed to make money. Rules are rules.

This is the truth.

On 7/31/2023 at 9:45 PM, Nick Furious said:

The Donkey Show in Tijuana is not the place to go if you're inclined to defend a lady's honor.  It's got nothing in common with the trained animal shows at Seaworld or Universal Studios.   

NOW you tell me.

Wish I knew what was trimmed from the thread.  I got a lot of alerts that I cannot see.  lol

Pathetic 

In the 90's, I would sometimes watch over my local comic book store when the owner was going on vacation and the guy he hired could not work.  I already knew that several people had been banned and would try to come in on off hours to shop.  People got banned for being caught stealing, or coming in and trying to sell to customers or things like that or just been god awful annoying. 

On 8/7/2023 at 10:57 PM, FlyingDonut said:

Sir, we speak American here.

Try telling someone from the UK that your pants or too tight, or they have nice pants, or anything involving the word "pants." When I was living in Europe, It took over ten years to get used to the word "trousers", then I moved back to the US.

On 8/8/2023 at 3:33 PM, paqart said:

Try telling someone from the UK that your pants or too tight, or they have nice pants, or anything involving the word "pants."

It also means rubbish or carp in British English.

Remember when Patz and Carbo was banned from the Javits and all other Reedpop shows?  

https://www.cbr.com/booth-thieves-banned-from-new-york-comic-con-comicon-bandit-arrested/

Carbo is very noticeable and still can be seen floating around.