• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I missing something here? Why is it so much?
3 3

19 posts in this topic

So I recently bought a 9.4 Signature Series Nightwing 1 (1995). One of my favorite covers.

So I saw a 9.8 Nightwing 1 (1995, not signed) for $179.

Is this overpriced? I don't think any recent ones sold anywhere near that price. 

It also has 24 watchers, so it feels like I'm missing something here.

What am I missing?

Screenshot_20230801-162307_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230801-162236_eBay.jpg

Edited by Comiclover3000
Correct a mistake

People can ask whatever they want for a comic. The watchers are probably following to see if it actually sells for that, not necessarily interested buyers. But I didn't research the specific comic. Just saying it is not uncommon to have a lot of watchers on a way overpriced item. Maybe 9.8's are particularly challenging. Some people pay up for the grade.

On 8/1/2023 at 5:17 PM, Lightning55 said:

People can ask whatever they want for a comic. The watchers are probably following to see if it actually sells for that, not necessarily interested buyers. But I didn't research the specific comic. Just saying it is not uncommon to have a lot of watchers on a way overpriced item. Maybe 9.8's are particularly challenging. Some people pay up for the grade.

So what happens if it does sell for that price?

On 8/1/2023 at 7:44 PM, Comiclover3000 said:

Does it affect stats on gpanalysis?

I'm only asking because if gpanalysis only judges value by ebay sales, its seems like a worthless site at that point.

GPA is simply a record of past sales from specific venues. (shrug)

On 8/1/2023 at 6:44 PM, Comiclover3000 said:

I'm only asking because if gpanalysis only judges value by ebay sales, its seems like a worthless site at that point.

Sure, it would be recorded on GPA unless the sale appears suspicious.  It would be a real data point perhaps indicating prices are going up on this book or the sale might just be a sale that doesn't fit the trend and general market and be a one off - a buyer willing to pay that price who doesn't care or know about previous sales

On 8/1/2023 at 8:44 PM, Comiclover3000 said:

Yes, it would get reported to GPA, presuming it's a legit sale. And it should be reported, again, if legit. They can't ignore it, any more than they could ignore a sale that is strangely low. But it's just 1 data point. You have to recognize it as an outlier.

That's why gpa shows you recent prices, 90 day average, and past year averages. They are only a reporting service,  not AI.

GPA records history.

It's a guide is all. It's not gospel.

Things change, history evolves.

Any collectible is only worth what someone wants or is willing to pay.

Too many people are hung up on GPA.

When books are losing thousands when flipped because the fad or market has nosedived...GPA won't help you.

On 8/4/2023 at 11:36 AM, World Devourer said:

Long wait ahead! :tumbleweed:

Kidding, of course.  That book isn't worth the costs of getting it graded as far as I'm concerned. 🤣🤣