• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Hampshire Pedigree?
2 2

18 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2023 at 9:55 PM, entalmighty1 said:

I don't know any specifics beyond what's on the website, but here's my copy from the collection. 

Outlaws.jpg

Nice book! I love the "?" instead of month lol -- I think it makes it more interesting. I've always found western books to be appealing and I want to learn more but not too sure where to start. 

Jmbo_121_NH.thumb.jpeg.dcf241eea0a633d57a53739e2c290a45.jpeg

This is an NH book from my own collection-- don't know why I find the pedigree thing so interesting, but I'd love to learn more about the origins of these NH books if anyone knows the story. 

Edited by aleccomix

Got this off the net.

Assembled by a young man who was born around 1929, the New Hampshire pedigree contains approximately 1,400 books mainly representing the western genre of the late ‘40s and ’50s. This collection contains more western comics than almost any other pedigreed collection. In 1989 the man sold his collection through an agent to Jim Payette, who in turn offered the books in his catalog. This was named the New Hampshire collection after the city in which the books surfaced. Many were subsequently purchased by Bob Overstreet. They are easily identified because of a distinct penciled date on each cover. Long considered a pedigree by collectors, CGC has finally recognized the collection’s status. (per CGC website)

On 8/1/2023 at 7:56 PM, action1kid said:

In 1989 the man sold his collection through an agent to Jim Payette, who in turn offered the books in his catalog. This was named the New Hampshire collection after the city in which the books surfaced. Many were subsequently purchased by Bob Overstreet. They are easily identified because of a distinct penciled date on each cover. Long considered a pedigree by collectors, CGC has finally recognized the collection’s status. (per CGC website)

First time I've ever heard of this collection, but rather interesting that CGC would go all the way back some 30+years to finally recognize a collection as a pedigree that's no longer intact and one that's already been disseminated into the marketplace decades ago.  :whatthe:  (thumbsu

On 8/2/2023 at 1:42 AM, lou_fine said:

First time I've ever heard of this collection, but rather interesting that CGC would go all the way back some 30+years to finally recognize a collection as a pedigree that's no longer intact and one that's already been disseminated into the marketplace decades ago.  :whatthe:  (thumbsu

Maybe they feel the date marks make them easy enough to identify. It may be a combination of factors. What is the PQ like on them in general?

On 8/2/2023 at 10:44 PM, Marty Mann said:

Of the 61 recognized pedigreed collections how many of the original owners are still alive and

in possession of their collection?

Don't know about the alive part, but I don't think any pedigree is still in the possession of the OO.  In fact, with the exception of the Chinatown Pedigree, I don't think any pedigree is still in the possession of just one person.

On 8/2/2023 at 7:46 AM, tth2 said:

In fact, with the exception of the Chinatown Pedigree, I don't think any pedigree is still in the possession of just one person.

In talking with Pat during the past few years, he's opined that one can never live forever and eventually you have to put the wheels in motion. (thumbsu

Since the collecting time period for the Chinatown Pedigree tended to overlap with the Promise Collection, I got the impression from speaking with him that we would have seen the Chinatown books sooner rather later if the Promise books had not come along when they did.  hm

Then again, you never know since he's procrastinated on what to do with this collection for over two decades now.  All I will say is that he's clearly spent a ton of money up front getting them prepped and then reprepped for the marketplace, and have yet to get even a dime back from them to this current point in time. (shrug)  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 8/2/2023 at 7:44 AM, Marty Mann said:

Of the 61 recognized pedigreed collections how many of the original owners are still alive and

in possession of their collection?

On 8/2/2023 at 10:11 AM, batman_fan said:

I know of one :baiting:

Looks like you are NOT referring to one of the 61 officially recognized pedigree collections here though.  :bigsmile:

On 8/3/2023 at 1:42 PM, Marty Mann said:

Any one know why there are no actual images for 28 of the 61 CGC Recognized Pedigrees shown?

I think the site supporting the pedigree book--if that site is still functioning--has scans of multiple books for each pedigree. 

On 8/3/2023 at 10:42 AM, Marty Mann said:

Any one know why there are no actual images for 28 of the 61 CGC Recognized Pedigrees shown?

Marty, here's the website that has scans of books from all the CGC-indentified pedigrees:

Comic Book Pedigrees, the online pedigree comic scan gallery. www.comicbookpedigrees.com (comicpedigrees.com)

On 8/13/2023 at 10:05 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Marty, here's the website that has scans of books from all the CGC-indentified pedigrees:

Comic Book Pedigrees, the online pedigree comic scan gallery. www.comicbookpedigrees.com (comicpedigrees.com)

THANKS...!

My question was why are there no scans of actual CGC PEDIGREED COMICS on the PEDIGREE site listed under

RESOURCES...just images of PLANET COMICS.

On 8/2/2023 at 11:32 PM, lou_fine said:

In talking with Pat during the past few years, he's opined that one can never live forever and eventually you have to put the wheels in motion. (thumbsu

Since the collecting time period for the Chinatown Pedigree tended to overlap with the Promise Collection, I got the impression from speaking with him that we would have seen the Chinatown books sooner rather later if the Promise books had not come along when they did.  hm

Then again, you never know since he's procrastinated on what to do with this collection for over two decades now.  All I will say is that he's clearly spent a ton of money up front getting them prepped and then reprepped for the marketplace, and have yet to get even a dime back from them to this current point in time. (shrug)  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

I'm unclear what you mean by having them "reprepped"?    Were they graded more than once?

Edited by Bronty