• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dealers Aren’t Your Friends…!
9 9

256 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2023 at 8:45 AM, joeypost said:

I have many friends that are full time comic dealers. 

Of course dealers will make actual friends over the decades (I think my previous post may have given the impression a buyer and a dealer can never be friends, which as you point out, isn't so).  What I, and likely others, are referring to is the concept that you would walk into a show, strike up a conservation with a dealer, and have an expectation of some sort of bonding because of it.  The friends you make over the years likely has a lot to do with other interests beyond just the dealing in comics (or any collectible), whether it's sports, or movies, or family, or pets, etc.  This is probably easier to do if you have a shop as opposed to being an exclusive show-dealer who is on the road all of the time.

On 8/9/2023 at 7:36 PM, Nick Furious said:

YouTube schmucks are not your friends.  

Yeah this is the guy kicked out of Basement comics earlier this year.  Happened right before I got there.  The owner was mad af about it lol

Edited by StingerMcK

On 8/19/2023 at 10:16 AM, Bookery said:

What I, and likely others, are referring to is the concept that you would walk into a show, strike up a conservation with a dealer, and have an expectation of some sort of bonding because of it.  

This. Exactly this. People unfortunately have this misguided notion that someone selling the things they like are the same as them. This is absolutely not the case. I owned a video store in the 90s (yes, I'm that old) and my partner had ZERO interest in movies. It was comical when people would come in and try to engage him in conversation about this movie or that when he maybe watched 3 movies a year. 

Different friend of mine is a hardcore card flipper. Makes close to six figures a year at it. But the ONLY sport he cares about is football. Doesn't stop him from flipping Giannis popcorn exploding refractors or Steph champagne cork parallels all day long. I help him when he tables sometimes and again it's fairly comical when someone walks up wanting to talk hoops with him when I think last game he watched was the 1996 Bulls.

Dealers just want your money. Period. 

Im sure at some point some dealer got a 1st impression or was just in a plain good mood to be extra nice to favor a deal, not an entitlement!

I've heard stories, but to post a video that it should be "like every dealer, every sale ????" 

Because why? Does having a tape recorder help moving the needle one way or the other? There is sure a reality check, but I feel it is lost on the YouTube guy.

What's the saying insanity doesn't think it's insane? Or something to the point, if he has people who likes his video or any controversy being something "good", then I could see how the guy got wrapped up into it. 

Example if not for this thread, I'd have watched the video and not batted an eye, as it is a duh comment, and there is no reason to dwell on this one comment, cause I realize it's his one and done comment. In short I'd never take it as gospel, as I've had plenty of dealers that are in dealer mode, but when you've been pleasant and constant there are "perks."

I think it's his entitlement that makes it sound so bad. He recorded and posted, but in person I'd have commented, "they're not YOUR friend?" As a question.

just-some-dude-it-was-yoda.gif

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/19/2023 at 11:49 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Can we be done with the internet now? I really like the Boards, but I'd be willing to sacrifice it all if it meant that the "social media stars" who walk around with a camera on their chest would disappear - it'd be worth it.

I agree but no one makes you watch. I know I rarely do. Then again, about as close I come to social media is here. 

I began watching at 7 minutes as requested. 

I completely disagree with the maker of the video. 

1. I could care less who I buy from or how big the booth is. I'm interested only in their stock and the asking price. 

2. The best salesmen will always make you feel like friends. I find nothing wrong with this relationship. The guy in the video acts like personalized customer service is a bad thing. As long as they don't use the relationship to their advantage by being deceitful, who cares if they are chummy? I don't expect them to show up at my daughter's wedding. That would be a little unreasonable. There are levels to relationships. I've enjoyed interacting with various salesmen before, but I never fooled myself by thinking, or expecting, any sort of favor when it came right down to business. 

When I build these sort of relationships as a buyer or seller, I tend to respect the deal even MORE than if I were dealing with a faceless entity. As a man with solid business ethnic, I'm going to provide the same sort of service regardless, but I would especially hate to hurt someone that I had been "chummy" with. 

2c

On 8/21/2023 at 6:20 PM, Robot Man said:

I agree but no one makes you watch. I know I rarely do. Then again, about as close I come to social media is here. 

Very true. But they are out there...lurking...