• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk has passed.
12 12

184 posts in this topic

On 8/13/2023 at 10:59 PM, adamstrange said:

My favorite comic from Jon's collection.

He took it out of the mylar and held it so I could get a decent photo of it.  The ink reflectivity is off the chart.

Fantastic3Churchclose.jpg

Is that his 9.4 before it was graded  or a different one?

On 8/14/2023 at 1:39 AM, Professor K said:

Is that his 9.4 before it was graded  or a different one?

That's the Church copy prior to grading.

Edited by adamstrange

On 8/14/2023 at 1:57 AM, adamstrange said:

That's the Church copy prior to grading.

Ok thanks (thumbsu. I would have loved to see his face when that auction ended. He was probably dancin on the ceiling and doing back flips. What a book,  and what a price it got. And for him to take it out and handle it so you can take a picture of it. That gesture alone says a lot. 

On 8/14/2023 at 1:50 PM, action1kid said:

Were Jon’s books slabbed before he decided to sell?  Or did he decide to slab because he was selling? He struck me as a raw guy who appreciated the interior of a book.

To my knowledge, Jon only bought a few slabbed books.  By the time CGC was a thing, he had stopped acquiring comics and was only collecting original art.

Jon gave his raw collection to Metropolis who handled all aspects of prepping them for auction, including decisions of slabbing/not-slabbing.

Edited by adamstrange

I had read that Jon kept a few books when he sold his collection, I think he posted about that on the boards. So he did keep some material with him to end. Can anyone confirm that. John is a collector they just do not make anymore.

Edited by Mmehdy