• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baltimore Comic Con Sept 8-10, 2023
4 4

162 posts in this topic

A lot of dealers were complaining of slow sales, people coming up to the booth wanting books that are priced under current GPA, are wanting an even bigger discount, and then walking away when they have been back around 2 or 3 times.  I don't know what to tell these people, you can only bend on the price so far.  (shrug).  Then there are other,  "I'm looking for Spawn 119"  Yes, I have it right here"  response is "Ok, I'll think about it"   then never see them again, books are fairly priced with current market.  Starting to think most people just go to comic cons just to look at books they have no interest in buying unless it's dirt cheap   

On 9/11/2023 at 3:28 AM, Kevin76 said:

A lot of dealers were complaining of slow sales, people coming up to the booth wanting books that are priced under current GPA, are wanting an even bigger discount, and then walking away when they have been back around 2 or 3 times.  I don't know what to tell these people, you can only bend on the price so far.  (shrug).  Then there are other,  "I'm looking for Spawn 119"  Yes, I have it right here"  response is "Ok, I'll think about it"   then never see them again, books are fairly priced with current market.  Starting to think most people just go to comic cons just to look at books they have no interest in buying unless it's dirt cheap   

With dozen and dozens of dealers in one place there has to be a lot of window shopping for the lowest price for a book.  

On 9/11/2023 at 3:28 AM, Kevin76 said:

Then there are other,  "I'm looking for Spawn 119"  Yes, I have it right here"  response is "Ok, I'll think about it"   then never see them again, books are fairly priced with current market.  

I do this when I'm looking for a certain issue.  For example, at Heroes Con this year I was looking for a X-Men #6 and asked at the various booths.  Only a few dealers had one, and I ended up buying the one, but the one that I bought was at the last booth that I checked.  When talking to the dealer, I will normally say I need to think about it and that I'm going to continue to look around and if they sell it before I return, it is my loss, but I rarely will buy anything without first window shopping the other booths.  Even if I'm really interested in the book, I never ask anyone to hold a book for me, since I don't feel like it is fair to them, if I come back and say I'm not interested. 

Psy

On 9/11/2023 at 1:01 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

food/dining experience- lots of choices within a 5-block radius from the convention centre.  Most of the sit-down restaurants (ie NOT Jimmy John’s, Subway, etc) were overpriced/expensive and take a toll on your budget so plan accordingly.

Safety- I live in a big city and I’ve been to shows in the major metropolitan areas along the East Coast so I do not say this lightly, but I did not feel safe in the downtown Baltimore area at night.  It is not a place you want to be alone walking in the dark

Another positive is the aisles weren’t clogged by an over-abundance of cosplayers or fans with carts carrying long boxes of books.  Will be back next year, schedule permitting 👍🏻

Honestly I think the restaurants are fairly priced for being in a city. Nothing more than I am used to anyway. And definitely a good variety. 

I'm not sure where you stayed, but we always stay close to the aquarium and have never felt unsafe fairly late at night. I will say one year we stayed a few blocks out from there and it wasn't exactly the best experience getting from the hotel to any place else. 

This is the least crowded I remember in the last several years. We always go in right at opening on Saturday and usually know we only have a few hours before the aisles get really crowded. Not this year. It never got very crowded. And cosplay seemed to be way down. Way less scantily clad ladies than I remember. 

Awesome you had a good time!!!

On 9/11/2023 at 5:36 PM, wombat said:

Honestly I think the restaurants are fairly priced for being in a city. Nothing more than I am used to anyway. And definitely a good variety. 

I'm not sure where you stayed, but we always stay close to the aquarium and have never felt unsafe fairly late at night. I will say one year we stayed a few blocks out from there and it wasn't exactly the best experience getting from the hotel to any place else. 

This is the least crowded I remember in the last several years. We always go in right at opening on Saturday and usually know we only have a few hours before the aisles get really crowded. Not this year. It never got very crowded. And cosplay seemed to be way down. Way less scantily clad ladies than I remember. 

Stayed at the Residence Inn...the one across from the 7-11, where the security allows entrance to 5 people at a time and locks the door, letting each person out one at a time, before letting the next group of 5 in, locking the door, etc.

The Aquarium is a mere 5 blocks away from my hotel.

On 9/11/2023 at 5:40 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Stayed at the Residence Inn...the one across from the 7-11, where the security allows entrance to 5 people at a time and locks the door, letting each person out one at a time, before letting the next group of 5 in, locking the door, etc.

The Aquarium is a mere 5 blocks away from my hotel.

That sounds terrible lol. Honestly I think in a lot of cities things can take a pretty drastic change in 5 blocks and which direction those blocks are in. Next year try get something right by the aquarium/fells point if you can (Pier 5 Hotel, Homewood Suites). A lot of the restaurants are right there anyway. 

We stayed at the Lord Baltimore hotel one year and it was a very nice hotel, but you had to make your way though some pretty big homeless sections. 

On 9/11/2023 at 5:47 PM, wombat said:

That sounds terrible lol. Honestly I think in a lot of cities things can take a pretty drastic change in 5 blocks and which direction those blocks are in. Next year try get something right by the aquarium/fells point if you can (Pier 5 Hotel, Homewood Suites). A lot of the restaurants are right there anyway. 

We stayed at the Lord Baltimore hotel one year and it was a very nice hotel, but you had to make your way though some pretty big homeless sections

yes, agreed.  there was a CVS very close to the aquarium and I was surprised to find the oral hygiene products, laundry detergents, sodas/water/juices, and even toilet paper locked behind glass.  Have to call an employee to unlock the glass case, give you the product, and walk directly to the cash to pay.

I ended up staying 15 minutes south of town and it worked out great.  Hotel was much better - beds were great - no charge for parking over night.  I’ve not had terrible experiences staying near the convention center but being able to leave the city at night had its merits.

Edited by 1Cool

On 9/11/2023 at 5:36 PM, wombat said:

I did hear a few people complaining about the smaller crowds and some complained about the lack of onsite grading.  The on-site grading definitely added some excitement to the Con which has been missing.  A ton less cosplay on Friday which makes me wonder if that “fad” is winding down. 

On 9/11/2023 at 4:29 PM, blazingbob said:

My take on Baltimore this year was good buying,  very bad selling show for me.

I either didn't have the Timely's or DC Golden Age,  Horror books that customers wanted this year or I didn't have the books customers did want at the price point they wanted to buy at.  

There are always shows out there that require "you the dealer" to have a tractor trailer in negotiation room in order to close the sale.  Baltimore is one of those shows.  Motor City was one of the shows,  Megacon another.  If you don't hit that buyers "version of fair" after your offer the "I'll think about it guys" move on looking for that book that qualifies for their version of a "Deal". 

Box stock didn't sell that well and It looks like it is time for a inventory evaluation.  

Cash/trade offers this year unfortunately were on books that while I liked them didn't have the eye appeal to make them easy to sell.  And frankly if a cash/trade offer is net a check to the customer I would prefer getting something that I like.  

Even though there are plenty of "reports" stating dealers won't adjust their pricing lets NOT FORGET those owners of books having a hard time letting go of what their collection WAS worth a year or more ago.  The Bronze age Billionaire's as I call them aren't exactly singing the "Hills are alive with the sound of cha-ching" in their new reality.   

My assessment on the Bronze age market is one where I really feel like it is marching to the Gasoline market.  Up and downs every day where I'm happy one day and disgusted the next.  It almost feels like I don't want to be a buyer of this part of the business for awhile.  I'm tired of stepping up,  paying what I feel is a fair price for something and 3 months later looking at it going WTF did I buy this?  But look while I may be disgusted at this time of the day on this post doesn't mean I will feel the same way tomorrow.  Fanexpo Chicago was a great show for me which was a very pleasant surprise.  Baltimore was a very big disappointment and frankly I'll own up to my issues on why it was.  

Thanks for the detailed review of what you experienced.  I heard quite a few seller expressing similar lack of sales so you were not alone in having a bad sales year.

On 9/11/2023 at 9:00 AM, PsylockeSmythe said:

I do this when I'm looking for a certain issue.  For example, at Heroes Con this year I was looking for a X-Men #6 and asked at the various booths.  Only a few dealers had one, and I ended up buying the one, but the one that I bought was at the last booth that I checked.  When talking to the dealer, I will normally say I need to think about it and that I'm going to continue to look around and if they sell it before I return, it is my loss, but I rarely will buy anything without first window shopping the other booths.  Even if I'm really interested in the book, I never ask anyone to hold a book for me, since I don't feel like it is fair to them, if I come back and say I'm not interested. 

Psy

Glad you nabbed that X-Men 6 at a grade and price you were happy with. Nice to be after books that you have choices with. I go for more obscure early GA. Not a whole lot I am still after. So when I am lucky enough to find one at all, I don’t usually have the luxury of being picky grade or price wise. Sometimes it is it or nothing.

Speaking from the back of the table, I NEVER hold a book without a non refundable deposit. The only books I hold are ones bought and paid for. If you want to “think about it”, by all means do so. There are books you just jump on when you get the chance…