• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baltimore Comic Con Sept 8-10, 2023
4 4

162 posts in this topic

Thanks to everyone for their reports on the show. A big shout out to @blazingbob on his very honest and frank comments. It is easy to say you did great but not so easy to admit you didn’t and to provide information concerning the state of the market.

I haven’t been to Baltimore in probably 7-8 years. I used to find it probably the best show of the year. The amount of old books in the room was mind blowing. All the bigger dealers were there as well as a lot of smaller and “mom and pop” dealers. A box diver’s paradise.

It looks pretty much the same in the photos provided. A LOT has changed since my last trip. Other than Terry O’Neil’s CAL CON last Feb, cons look to be having a lot lower amount of attendence especially actual vintage comic buyers. Vendors have become a lot less as well. We are obviously in a state of correction and both buyers and dealers have become a lot more cautious. This has also become the norm for other collectibles as well. I also deal in vintage toys, advertising, sports items as well. I have noticed the same trend at other non comic shows like toy and antique shows and the local flea markets that I set up at. Hard to find the good stuff and hard to sell when I do.

Sorry to hear Baltimore has become a little more “sketchy”. Was always a wonderful town. This, sadly, is true of pretty much any big city all over the country. I’m not afraid to go out but am much more observant and careful.

Hopefully, you folks had a great time and went home with a few things that made you happy! 

I was at the Shortboxed dinner on Friday night.

Richard Evans of Bedrock summed up "market reports", Convention sales and the "State of the Market" perfectly.

He said your market report in the OSPG for the year and frankly for conventions is really based on the inventory that you have available to sell. 

If you have great inventory at great prices then things are generally pretty good.  

If you don't have the books or the pricing power your market and convention sales reports will reflect that.

But where will you read a convention report or OSPG report where the seller admits that they haven't really gotten anything good lately or have lousy pricing models?  

As usual when I think I know a lot he has come up with something that is absolutely true.  

Edited by blazingbob

It was a solid show for me and Bob, Brian, Greggy and Joey helped make it so with their business on Friday plus some referrals. Thank you also to Shadow and Wombat for stopping by and to Andrew and Rob from Motion Pictures for giving us a lift. 
Just like the Tampa Con six weeks ago, wall books were slow but my 50 cent, $2 and discounted boxes did outstanding. I’m sure my $5 boxes would have done just as well but they were so depleted from Tampa that I didn’t have time to get them restocked so I left them behind. True collectors and run fillers were out in full force and the several long boxes of sets I brought did very well.

There is nothing I can add to the current state of the market that hasn’t already been said except to say I agree with most of it. Every retailer I talked to, no matter what they were selling, was down from last year. One comic dealer was down 75% :whatthe:. The smaller crowd left everyone scratching their heads. I heard a couple of dealers say they are not returning next year. There were some good deals out there if you were willing to do some serious box diving. 

Me and Steve had a guy come to the table and wanted to see a Batman 121 CGC 3.0 (last GPA Sale $2100) and he also wanted an ASM 10 CGC (I forget the grade, I think a 5.0)  He had the Batman 121 priced at $2000 and the ASM 10 priced at $550.  He said "What can you do on the Batman"?  I said "I can do $1800"  Then he said "What can you do if I take both this and the ASM"?  (total is $2550 sticker)  I said "For both I can do $2300.  He said "I'll think about it"   

He comes back around again and he said "Can you do $2150 for the pair"?  Steve (owner) said "I'll do $2200"  Again, He walked away....Dealers can only bend so far, but he did come by about 3 times and still didn't pull the trigger over $50.  Price was more than fair and he wouldn't have gotten that price from any other dealer or online.  I offered the batman to him for $300 under last sale and he still walked  (shrug)  Some men you just can't reach.  

I know Steve prices his raw books using the overstreet and doesn't sell raw books for the graded price, then dealers are wondering why they can't move their stuff, that probably works in San Diego/LA and NYC but definitely doesn't work in the New England area, people just aren't gonna pay it then blame the show instead of their pricing model.  

I would have enjoyed the show more if I didn't hurt my back 2 weeks ago, I'd walk for 5 mins then my hip would start burning off, so wasn't too mobile to be beebopping around like I wanted, picked up some really nice Batmans under 200 and DC bronze horror in really high grade from a dealer selling the Fantast collection. Picked up a Punch Comics 14 from Bedrock that looked VG/VG+, Nice copy.  

Edited by Kevin76

On 9/11/2023 at 6:29 PM, Murphman13 said:

It was a solid show for me and Bob, Brian, Greggy and Joey helped make it so with their business on Friday plus some referrals. Thank you also to Shadow and Wombat for stopping by and to Andrew and Rob from Motion Pictures for giving us a lift. 
Just like the Tampa Con six weeks ago, wall books were slow but my 50 cent, $2 and discounted boxes did outstanding. I’m sure my $5 boxes would have done just as well but they were so depleted from Tampa that I didn’t have time to get them restocked so I left them behind. True collectors and run fillers were out in full force and the several long boxes of sets I brought did very well.

There is nothing I can add to the current state of the market that hasn’t already been said except to say I agree with most of it. Every retailer I talked to, no matter what they were selling, was down from last year. One comic dealer was down 75% :whatthe:. The smaller crowd left everyone scratching their heads. I heard a couple of dealers say they are not returning next year. There were some good deals out there if you were willing to do some serious box diving. 

As a buyer, I always do better box diving rather than “wall gazing”. I look for any boxes marked Golden Age. No matter the genre. A lot of interesting stuff is overlooked by lazy buyers. And not just “men in tights”. 

As a seller, I find my cheaper and discounted GA/SA/BA boxes do real well. No biggie for individual books but there are still a lot of run collectors and casual buyers looking for affordable books. But they often stack up large piles. Enough of those piles and you have a great day whether it not I sell many pretty well books. Plus, my profit margin is very good on the cheaper stuff. 

On 9/11/2023 at 6:31 PM, Kevin76 said:

Me and Steve had a guy come to the table and wanted to see a Batman 121 CGC 3.0 (last GPA Sale $2100) and he also wanted an ASM 10 CGC (I forget the grade, I think a 5.0)  He had the Batman 121 priced at $2000 and the ASM 10 priced at $550.  He said "What can you do on the Batman"?  I said "I can do $1800"  Then he said "What can you do if I take both this and the ASM"?  (total is $2550 sticker)  I said "For both I can do $2300.  He said "I'll think about it"   

He comes back around again and he said "Can you do $2150 for the pair"?  Steve (owner) said "I'll do $2200"  Again, He walked away....Dealers can only bend so far, but he did come by about 3 times and still didn't pull the trigger over $50.  Price was more than fair and he wouldn't have gotten that price from any other dealer or online.  I offered the batman to him for $300 under last sale and he still walked  (shrug)  Some men you just can't reach.  

I know Steve prices his raw books using the overstreet and doesn't sell raw books for the graded price, then dealers are wondering why they can't move their stuff, that probably works in San Diego/LA and NYC but definitely doesn't work in the New England area, people just aren't gonna pay it then blame the show instead of their pricing model.  

I would have enjoyed the show more if I didn't hurt my back 2 weeks ago, I'd walk for 5 mins then my hip would start burning off, so wasn't too mobile to be beebopping around like I wanted, picked up some really nice Batmans under 200 and DC bronze horror in really high grade from a dealer selling the Fantast collection. Picked up a Punch Comics 14 from Bedrock that looked VG/VG+, Nice copy.  

I try to just price my stuff very fair to begin with. I have never been a fan of the discount “game” but know it is a necessary evil. I have a lot of buyers who get it and just pay full sticker. But there are just those people who just have the need to stick it to a dealer and think they have “won”. I have limited patience with them and have no problem taking it back and putting it under the table. It is strictly a hobby for me so I can afford to do so especially on books I can’t replace anymore.

Sounds like you picked up some cool books. Punch #14…:x one you just don’t see every day! 

On 9/12/2023 at 7:21 AM, MrBedrock said:

We had fantastic sales at the show. Lots of golden age, but also silver, bronze and a few 90s books. And for the most part the folks asking for discounts were very respectful. 

Great to hear Ritchie. Your discounts are always very fair. Sure wish I’d seen that Punch #14 at Torpedo. Maybe I missed it. Would have probably been all over it. 

On 9/12/2023 at 9:29 AM, Robot Man said:

Great to hear Ritchie. Your discounts are always very fair. Sure wish I’d seen that Punch #14 at Torpedo. Maybe I missed it. Would have probably been all over it. 

I had just picked it up in a collection a few days before I left for B-More.

From a buyer’s perspective, everyone I bought from had great prices and selection.  I had some time to talk with @MrBedrock and @blazingbob which to be honest, I enjoyed more than searching for books, although I certainly did enjoy that as well.  I was able to find several Timely funny animal issues I needed.  I spent a great amount of time with my boys at the @Superworldbooth.  

I had a wonderful time at the show.  That being said, it really isn’t safe to walk by yourself.  I’ve been in some sketchy situations in my life, even still I did get a bit nervous a few times.  So, we all agreed to Uber to our destinations instead of walking, which was definitely the correct choice.

On 9/11/2023 at 1:29 PM, blazingbob said:

My take on Baltimore this year was good buying,  very bad selling show for me.

I either didn't have the Timely's or DC Golden Age,  Horror books that customers wanted this year or I didn't have the books customers did want at the price point they wanted to buy at.  

There are always shows out there that require "you the dealer" to have a tractor trailer in negotiation room in order to close the sale.  Baltimore is one of those shows.  Motor City was one of the shows,  Megacon another.  If you don't hit that buyers "version of fair" after your offer the "I'll think about it guys" move on looking for that book that qualifies for their version of a "Deal". 

Box stock didn't sell that well and It looks like it is time for a inventory evaluation.  

Cash/trade offers this year unfortunately were on books that while I liked them didn't have the eye appeal to make them easy to sell.  And frankly if a cash/trade offer is net a check to the customer I would prefer getting something that I like.  

Even though there are plenty of "reports" stating dealers won't adjust their pricing lets NOT FORGET those owners of books having a hard time letting go of what their collection WAS worth a year or more ago.  The Bronze age Billionaire's as I call them aren't exactly singing the "Hills are alive with the sound of cha-ching" in their new reality.   

My assessment on the Bronze age market is one where I really feel like it is marching to the Gasoline market.  Up and downs every day where I'm happy one day and disgusted the next.  It almost feels like I don't want to be a buyer of this part of the business for awhile.  I'm tired of stepping up,  paying what I feel is a fair price for something and 3 months later looking at it going WTF did I buy this?  But look while I may be disgusted at this time of the day on this post doesn't mean I will feel the same way tomorrow.  Fanexpo Chicago was a great show for me which was a very pleasant surprise.  Baltimore was a very big disappointment and frankly I'll own up to my issues on why it was.  

big props to @blazingbob for this honest convention report. though never the most warm and fuzzy dealer out there, bob is no-nonsense, a straight shooter, and usually fairly priced at cons. i always buy something from him when i see him at a show. it's incredibly rare on these boards to hear this kind of report from dealers. it's either something useless like "we sold alot of books" or crickets. +1

On 9/12/2023 at 2:50 PM, alexgross.com said:

big props to @blazingbob for this honest convention report. though never the most warm and fuzzy dealer out there, bob is no-nonsense, a straight shooter, and usually fairly priced at cons. i always buy something from him when i see him at a show. it's incredibly rare on these boards to hear this kind of report from dealers. it's either something useless like "we sold alot of books" or crickets. +1

I think Bob is incredibly warm and fuzzy.

On 9/11/2023 at 7:43 PM, blazingbob said:

I was at the Shortboxed dinner on Friday night.

Richard Evans of Bedrock summed up "market reports", Convention sales and the "State of the Market" perfectly.

He said your market report in the OSPG for the year and frankly for conventions is really based on the inventory that you have available to sell. 

If you have great inventory at great prices then things are generally pretty good.  

If you don't have the books or the pricing power your market and convention sales reports will reflect that.

But where will you read a convention report or OSPG report where the seller admits that they haven't really gotten anything good lately or have lousy pricing models?  

As usual when I think I know a lot he has come up with something that is absolutely true.  

"t was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way--in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only." :peace:

On 9/13/2023 at 4:48 AM, 1Cool said:

Isn’t being blind a severe disadvantage as a comic dealer?

I actually set up next to a blind dealer at Terry O’Neil’s con one year. Yeah, stone blind. He had his family with him. When you spend a day with a stranger at a con you get to know them well. He explained he was a big comic collector before he lost his sight. A VERY funny guy with a great attitude on life. We joked back and forth all day. 

On 9/12/2023 at 11:37 PM, El Toro Rojo said:

This video seems to concentrate on non comic vendors, I was hoping to attend a Baltimore show in the not too distant future, but this video has put me off, I wouldn't fly all the way from the UK for what is on show in this video. :frown:

On 9/12/2023 at 3:37 PM, El Toro Rojo said:

Jeeze, what a video. My feet hurt and I am blinded by wall shots of books. If you can’t find anything you wanted, you are not a collector. That is a huge room.

Something occurred to me. With that amount of cool dealers, competition must be pretty stiff. If dealers didn’t do well, that might be just part of the problem. That and the fact that many collectors seem to be holding back and being a lot more picky.

As a buyer and collector, this room, if you are willing to work it, could really be worthwhile. Lots of smaller dealers, most of which for me being a West Coaster, I have never seen. I know there were plenty of deals in there. 

On 9/13/2023 at 11:17 AM, batmiesta said:

This video seems to concentrate on non comic vendors, I was hoping to attend a Baltimore show in the not too distant future, but this video has put me off, I wouldn't fly all the way from the UK for what is on show in this video. :frown:

I think the massive glare off of most the wall books made the cameraman pass by those booths without stopping much. The other merchandise could be videoed much better. Trust me there are A LOT of comics in that room.