• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baltimore Comic Con Sept 8-10, 2023
4 4

162 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2023 at 8:59 AM, Murphman13 said:

I think the massive glare off of most the wall books made the cameraman pass by those booths without stopping much. The other merchandise could be videoed much better. Trust me there are A LOT of comics in that room.

Yeah, filming and even trying to SEE books was tough thanks to the glare - add the fact that a lot of dealers had their books in old, wrinkled bags and it became a game of "what issue is that? how much?" every 10 seconds.

But yes, LOTS of dealers, LOTS of comics and LOTS of...weapons? What was with all the sword, knife and light saber vendors?

On 9/13/2023 at 12:49 PM, El Toro Rojo said:

Yeah, filming and even trying to SEE books was tough thanks to the glare - add the fact that a lot of dealers had their books in old, wrinkled bags and it became a game of "what issue is that? how much?" every 10 seconds.

But yes, LOTS of dealers, LOTS of comics and LOTS of...weapons? What was with all the sword, knife and light saber vendors?

Must be what is in demand.  I saw a lot less Pops booths then a few years ago and there seemed to be less mystery box / shirt booths also.  I do agree there was a lot of sword booths!

On 9/13/2023 at 1:08 PM, 1Cool said:

Must be what is in demand.  I saw a lot less Pops booths then a few years ago and there seemed to be less mystery box / shirt booths also.  I do agree there was a lot of sword booths!

Shirts, yes! That's it, I thought there was something different, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

On 9/13/2023 at 3:48 PM, ttfitz said:

Shirts, yes! That's it, I thought there was something different, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

There typically is some huge shirt booths right in the center of most bigger cons that I've gone to and I didn't see any of those this year.  There was shirts to be bought but the mega shirt booths must have not been profitable. 

Edited by 1Cool

On 9/13/2023 at 4:23 PM, Robot Man said:

Jeeze, what a video. My feet hurt and I am blinded by wall shots of books. If you can’t find anything you wanted, you are not a collector. That is a huge room.

Something occurred to me. With that amount of cool dealers, competition must be pretty stiff. If dealers didn’t do well, that might be just part of the problem. That and the fact that many collectors seem to be holding back and being a lot more picky.

As a buyer and collector, this room, if you are willing to work it, could really be worthwhile. Lots of smaller dealers, most of which for me being a West Coaster, I have never seen. I know there were plenty of deals in there. 

You have to admit this video is pretty book shy. 

On 9/13/2023 at 2:08 PM, batmiesta said:

You have to admit this video is pretty book shy. 

Maybe it was who shot it and why. I know there were a LOT of big dealers that were there but I didn’t see on the video. There were a lot of smaller booths with comics and other stuff. The smaller dealers are often where the best deals are if you are willing to look. 

On 9/13/2023 at 10:31 PM, Robot Man said:

The smaller dealers are often where the best deals are if you are willing to look. 

At this show there is at least one exception and that would be the display for "Comics, Cards, and Collectibles" ... Mark Nathan's outfit. For this show it is run by Flying Donut, a respected Forumite, and their set-up is so large there can be 10 folks looking through boxes and not in each others way. When I'm at Baltimore, it is the absolute first place I go .... it's box diving Heaven :cloud9: Get there early and you won't believe what you'll find in the boxes. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 9/13/2023 at 5:36 PM, wombat said:

I was very tempted by this amazing King Ghidora statue. Don’t think I could have snuck this by the wife. 

IMG_7443.jpeg

I thought about it too. But I was trying to figure out how I could get it in the overhead space on the plane. 

On 9/14/2023 at 12:29 AM, jimjum12 said:

At this show there is at least one exception and that would be the display for "Comics, Cards, and Collectibles" ... Mark Nathan's outfit. For this show it is run by Flying Donut, a respected Forumite, and their set-up is so large there can be 10 folks looking through boxes and not in each others way. When I'm at Baltimore, it is the absolute first place I go .... it's box diving Heaven :cloud9: Get there early and you won't believe what you'll find in the boxes. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Our booth every year is in the exact center of the show - perks of being the show promoter - and is on top of red carpet. You can't miss it. We have more comics at our booth in Baltimore than in probably 90% of comic shops in the United States. This year we had 101 long, 200 short, 300 magazine boxes, and 800 wall books. In comic booths, as in many things, size most definitely matters.

As someone that has been going to Canada Fan Expo for years and is becoming less and less interested in what they have to offer I ask 'has anyone been to both Canada Fan Expo and Baltimore Comiccon?' Are they as different as they feel to be on the boards with Baltimore being much more comic based and Toronto a disorganized mess?

On 9/21/2023 at 2:08 PM, ignimbrite said:

As someone that has been going to Canada Fan Expo for years and is becoming less and less interested in what they have to offer I ask 'has anyone been to both Canada Fan Expo and Baltimore Comiccon?' Are they as different as they feel to be on the boards with Baltimore being much more comic based and Toronto a disorganized mess?

Yes