• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

World's Largest Comic Book Collection
2 2

18 posts in this topic

I wonder if this is the largest by default? Seems like there should be larger collections out there.

On 8/18/2023 at 4:33 PM, mycomicshop said:

Bob's a friend and a great guy who's passionate about comics.

Sounds like a great guy, a great customer and a passionate collector. Really enjoyed his video and his level of organization.  Love to get a tour. As far as it being the largest we know the FANTAST collection recently was unearthed and marketed with over 300,000 comics if my memory serves. So there’s that. Heck, I haven’t counted lately but …

On 8/18/2023 at 4:20 PM, ThothAmon said:

Sounds like a great guy, a great customer and a passionate collector. Really enjoyed his video and his level of organization.  Love to get a tour. As far as it being the largest we know the FANTAST collection recently was unearthed and marketed with over 300,000 comics if my memory serves. So there’s that. Heck, I haven’t counted lately but …

The man who found Mike Tyson, collected many old boxing films, was an amateur boxer, was excelled in the handballing and a lifelong comic book reader and collector.    He didn't mention about the comic books until the comic book collection was found in the warehouse in LA.

His name is Jimmy Jacobs.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Jacobs_(handballer)

On 8/18/2023 at 8:17 PM, JollyComics said:

The man who found Mike Tyson, collected many old boxing films, was an amateur boxer, was excelled in the handballing and a lifelong comic book reader and collector.    He didn't mention about the comic books until the comic book collection was found in the warehouse in LA.

His name is Jimmy Jacobs.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Jacobs_(handballer)

"Jacobs also acquired an extensive collection of comic books, having read them since his youth. His collection was thought to contain between 500,000 and 880,000 comics, and had to be stored in a warehouse. Jacobs owned six copies of a rare Detective Comics issue from 1938, worth $10,000 each at the time of his death."

Holy :censored:

-bc

On 8/18/2023 at 7:17 PM, JollyComics said:

Wow.  I love Mike Tyson and followed his history, but never knew this about Jacobs.

On 8/18/2023 at 9:32 PM, media_junkie said:

No way in heck would I advertise that I keep that stuff in my garage and house "comic room" and let them say I have an AF15.  We may not know where he lives, but someone who just saw that article does.  

NO *SQUEE*!!  I was thinking the exact same thing!

Edited by TRMN8R5

I met Bob at a Long Beach comic show in 2009 or 2010 and he told me about his collection and passion for owning as many different comics as possible. He carries a large book with every title to avoid buying duplicates. He is a great guy to have a conversation regarding comics in general and his collection specifically. It has been my pleasure to to contribute to his collection over these many years. I hope to sell him a few more in a few weeks at Long Beach. 

On 8/18/2023 at 6:32 PM, media_junkie said:

No way in heck would I advertise that I keep that stuff in my garage and house "comic room" and let them say I have an AF15.  We may not know where he lives, but someone who just saw that article does.  

@Mmehdy

You're the first one I thought of when I saw this, Mitch.  I've scoffed at your preference for extreme privacy as regards your collection but, like media_junkie, even I don't get this level of exposure.

Edited by Dr. Love