• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sept Heritage Signature Auction
3 3

281 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2023 at 8:10 AM, grapeape said:

It could be you're right. But auctions make some of us do crazy things. I remember back in 2002 a friend called me in a panic. "I went crazy and did something stupid," he said. There was an ebay auction for a Ditko or Romita piece, I can't remember which. My friend looked at the page for days and in a moment of deranged fantastical thinking, he imagined himself a rich man and bid $16,000, which made him the high bidder. This man was responsible, worked hard, and paid his bills on time. That being said, he did not have that money in the bank if he won the auction. He'd only been collecting for a few years, and desire put his finger on the keyboard. I was really upset with him. We had to figure out how to cancel the bid in time.

I don't know who won the BB Hawkman. Was it a cash flashing snob who is about to get their comeupance? Maybe. Was it a flipper? Sure jumped in at the wrong time pal. Or was it a huge art loving collector with a desire bigger than his wallet? I'm guessing most of you would say, "good, he deserves to take a bath too." I'm just saying, when you want something, it can tempt you to go beyond your means.

I understand going beyond your means. What I don't understand is going beyond clearly delineated comparable values... this isn't FM DKR art, after all.

In a way, this sale will be good in that it should return the page value to expected parameters. Had this sale not occurred, it would have been used as justification by every dealer out there to demand a much higher price for this art.

Edited by KirbyCollector

So this was the first time I ever got approval for an extended payment plan with HA....and then I proceeded to forgot about the auction today and totally spaced the page I was after. If anyone has a Williamson ROTJ page...

To the winner, nice buy I think and in line with recent comps. I would have gone higher as I've been after one for awhile.

Took down the BR page yesterday though, nice provenance on both.

Edited by cstojano

On 9/14/2023 at 1:54 PM, cstojano said:

So this was the first time I ever got approval for an extended payment plan with HA....and then I proceeded to forgot about the auction today and totally spaced the page I was after. If anyone has a Williamson ROTJ page...

To the winner, nice buy I think and in line with recent comps. I would have gone higher as I've been after one for awhile.

Took down the BR page yesterday though, nice provenance on both.

Sorry you missed out on the ROTJ page -- a beauty of a page that went for a solid price. But that Blade Runner page yesterday is a nice consolation prize!

On 9/14/2023 at 2:23 PM, fsumavila said:

Sorry you missed out on the ROTJ page -- a beauty of a page that went for a solid price.

I thought it went low given the Leia content - was expecting $25K-ish myself. 

I thought the Star Wars #5 cover was a shocker. Shockingly low, that is. One of the first 6 Star Wars covers and a pretty good one, to boot? I thought $150K would be the dead set absolute floor and I was bracing for a bidding war that would take it even higher, maybe even a 2-handle result. I mean, I am floored by this result given that Star Wars art has continually surprised to the upside for so long. 

Uncanny X-Men #200 for $102K was another shocker to me - I thought the owner might get in the ballpark of breakeven on this sale, but this result is not even in the same state as the ballpark. I have to believe that this would have done waaaaaaaaaay better amidst the FOMO frenzy of 12-18 months ago. 

On 9/14/2023 at 12:34 PM, delekkerste said:

I thought the Star Wars #5 cover was a shocker. Shockingly low, that is. One of the first 6 Star Wars covers and a pretty good one, to boot? I thought $150K would be the dead set absolute floor and I was bracing for a bidding war that would take it even higher, maybe even a 2-handle result. I mean, I am floored by this result given that Star Wars art has continually surprised to the upside for so long. 

Uncanny X-Men #200 for $102K was another shocker to me - I thought the owner might get in the ballpark of breakeven on this sale, but this result is not even in the same state as the ballpark. I have to believe that this would have done waaaaaaaaaay better amidst the FOMO frenzy of 12-18 months ago. 

I agree, I was prepared to go to 25k on the page, and also noted the Leia content as a reason why. The last one HA auctioned sold for right about the same. Everything else has ballooned since then so I wouldn't have been shocked at 30k on the ROTJ paper. That said, for 20-30k I really should have gone for a Hakes strip. More regrets :)

Frazetta DD did not hit reserve.

On 9/14/2023 at 3:39 PM, cstojano said:

I agree, I was prepared to go to 25k on the page, and also noted the Leia content as a reason why. The last one HA auctioned sold for right about the same. Everything else has ballooned since then so I wouldn't have been shocked at 30k on the ROTJ paper. That said, for 20-30k I really should have gone for a Hakes strip. More regrets :)

Frazetta DD did not hit reserve.

Yep.   And honestly, that's not a $2m painting IMO, so in a way nice to see some sanity prevail although it sucks for the consignor.

Byrne Iron Fist 15 didn't meet reserve either.

Edited by Bronty

On 9/14/2023 at 1:31 PM, Bronty said:

Yep.   And honestly, that's not a $2m painting IMO, so in a way nice to see some sanity prevail although it sucks for the consignor.

Byrne Iron Fist 15 didn't meet reserve either.

I lose sleep at night when I feel like I am stuck with, and cannot sell, a 1k item let alone this.

On 9/15/2023 at 4:34 AM, delekkerste said:

Congratulations, you’re finally getting the bear market that you’ve always wanted.

That TMNT 1 is about half what it was going for during the pandemic push.  I was actually pretty tempted on that one.  Comic Link just had a 9.8 as well, so it looks like some folks may have been leveraged and are getting out.  It's pretty rare to see two different 9.8 copies come to market so quickly given there are only 42 total on the census.

On 9/14/2023 at 11:00 PM, tth2 said:

So a BWS Conan cover goes for less than a 9.8 Avengers 4 or 9.8 TMNT 1 these days.

Yeah, first the Conan #5 sells for only $70K at CLink last week and now $102K for the Conan #11.

I wonder if the Boris SSOC #12 cover is going to overtake either of these sales tomorrow. :whatthe: