• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attempting to collect the worlds best collection of video game comic 1st apps in 9.8 only!
2 2

181 posts in this topic

On 12/28/2023 at 5:55 PM, David Buck said:

Just out of Curiosity - would this be on the OP's list or not - it'a an 80's comic included in some UK versions of the game - which according to Wikipedia came out under  a different title "Rad Warrior" Stateside

image.png.6c84b80ba6571aed9e3dd66464b7af7d.png

image.png

Oh man keep these coming! I love learning about new comics i never about. the answer is yes! I will do some research on it now

On 12/28/2023 at 5:55 PM, David Buck said:

Just out of Curiosity - would this be on the OP's list or not - it'a an 80's comic included in some UK versions of the game - which according to Wikipedia came out under  a different title "Rad Warrior" Stateside

image.png.6c84b80ba6571aed9e3dd66464b7af7d.png

image.png

Currently bidding on a 9.8 canidate!

On 1/2/2024 at 5:46 AM, FloridianDemon said:

2003 Masters of the Universe: The Battle Begins #NN Grayskull video game CGC 9.8 | eBay this one just popped up! Same priced i paid for mine! great deal!

Thanks for the link, but I've got a line on one. I'm only after a raw copy, for my raw collection, so as long as it's NM, it's fine by me. I might have found one. 

I appreciate the link though. That's a good backup. 

"It's that time of year again!"

"To make bubbles with our spit?

"No, no, no to have a reminder of old lessons of not yet desirables!"

~to paraphrase the animatics wheel of morality! :whistle:

Wheel of morality turn, turn, turn, and show us the lesson that we should learn!  :banana:

I have yet to see this in a CGC slab, but finally dug out the pic of it lol, and back on a random shelf it will probably go!

IMG_20240105_200813266.jpg

IMG_20240105_200832461.jpg

here's some obscure ones - 

Take No Prisoners - a PC game from 1997 had a promotional comic - this is one that Ian Levine said was produced by DC, which he says someone at DC told him since there is nothing in the comic to confirm it 

Space Bunnies Must Die - this is an obscure Dark Horse mini promo cmic that I have mentioned before on a Dark Horse thread - it's missing from most online comic databases as far as I can tell

Tom & Jerry in War Of The Whiskers from DC - not sure how this will fit in with the first appearance of the game franchise in comics Theme - I guess it depends if the comic follows the plot of the game in any context in this instance & not just some generic Tom & Jerry stories 

Pryzm mini comic - worth noting on this that although the promo mini comic is common and well known - there's a second version where it''s the reverse of the instruction manual in flip-book format in some versions of the game (the instruction manual Varaint is the one with the white Border and TDK info in the bottom left corner - the regular promo comic has no border and a TDK logo in the bottom right corner with less accompanying text) 

Red Faction Handbook  - I'm not sure if Wildstorm's Red Faction Guerrilla #1 was published as a physical copy - so this Handbook may be the comic debut in print (maybe a different story - I don't have it to check) 

De Blob - Long Live (Color/Colour) - this was available digitally in several languages - I have only seen print copies in English but there are US and UK variants with the spelling difference to be aware of 

F3ar (a.k.a. Fear 3) - pretty obscure but you may know of this one 

Justice League Heroes #1 - not as well known as the DC Universe promo comics so may have slipped your notice 

Take No Prisoners.jpg

Space Bunnies.jpg

Tom & Jerry War Of THe Wkiskers PS2 gaeme case.jpg

s-l1600 (1)Tom and Jerry War Of The Whiskers 2002.jpg

pryzm in pack variant.jpg

red faction guerilla cover.jpg

red faction guerilla interior.jpg

deblob.jpg

deblob uk.jpg

F3ar.jpg

Justice League heroes.jpg

Edited by David Buck

On 1/5/2024 at 9:16 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

"It's that time of year again!"

"To make bubbles with our spit?

"No, no, no to have a reminder of old lessons of not yet desirables!"

~to paraphrase the animatics wheel of morality! :whistle:

Wheel of morality turn, turn, turn, and show us the lesson that we should learn!  :banana:

I have yet to see this in a CGC slab, but finally dug out the pic of it lol, and back on a random shelf it will probably go!

IMG_20240105_200813266.jpg

IMG_20240105_200832461.jpg

Whoa! Never knew about this, so after more research, I found out there is a promo version in comic form, just ordered one!

On 1/6/2024 at 10:33 AM, FloridianDemon said:

Whoa! Never knew about this, so after more research, I found out there is a promo version in comic form, just ordered one!

Mine has the poster, I didn't know if it came in smaller size, I know some call it the artbook from 2009.......

All good

On 1/6/2024 at 9:22 AM, David Buck said:

here's some obscure ones - 

Take No Prisoners - a PC game from 1997 had a promotional comic - this is one that Ian Levine said was produced by DC, which he says someone at DC told him since there is nothing in the comic to confirm it 

Space Bunnies Must Die - this is an obscure Dark Horse mini promo cmic that I have mentioned before on a Dark Horse thread - it's missing from most online comic databases as far as I can tell

Tom & Jerry in War Of The Whiskers from DC - not sure how this will fit in with the first appearance of the game franchise in comics Theme - I guess it depends if the comic follows the plot of the game in any context in this instance & not just some generic Tom & Jerry stories 

Pryzm mini comic - worth noting on this that although the promo mini comic is common and well known - there's a second version where it''s the reverse of the instruction manual in flip-book format in some versions of the game (the instruction manual Varaint is the one with the white Border and TDK info in the bottom left corner - the regular promo comic has no border and a TDK logo in the bottom right corner with less accompanying text) 

Red Faction Handbook  - I'm not sure if Wildstorm's Red Faction Guerilla #1 was published as a physical copy - so this Handbook may be the comic debut in print (maybe a different story - I don't have it to check) 

De Blob - Long Live (Color/Colour) - this was available digitally in several languages - I have only seen print copies in English but there are US and UK variants with the spelling difference to be aware of 

F3ar (a.k.a. Fear 3) - pretty obscure but you may know of this one 

Justice League Heroes #1 - not as well known as the DC Universe promo comics so may have slipped your notice 

Take No Prisoners.jpg

Space Bunnies.jpg

Tom & Jerry War Of THe Wkiskers PS2 gaeme case.jpg

s-l1600 (1)Tom and Jerry War Of The Whiskers 2002.jpg

pryzm in pack variant.jpg

red faction guerilla cover.jpg

red faction guerilla interior.jpg

deblob.jpg

deblob uk.jpg

F3ar.jpg

Justice League heroes.jpg

My man! Thanks a bunch, love this. I will be adding all of these to list. I just bought the take no prisoners. researching the rest right now

Big things you're going to want to hope for eventually include the Atari game pack-ins:

• Centipede
  • Yars' Revenge: The Qotile Ultimatum
  • Swordquest: Earthworld
  • The Atari Force mini comics (Defender, Berzerk, Star Raiders, Phoenix, and Galaxian)
  • And the He-Man pack-in. This one's particularly tough because effectively the same book (King of Castle Grayskull, with a mostly-purple cover) was ALSO the first toy line pack-in. The toy version has a red starburst FREE at the bottom right of the cover, and an extra centerfold page of ads. Most sites are terrible about distinguishing between these. MCS lists them both as "toy" pack-ins but does note the cover differences. Note that it is possible that a 3rd version (no FREE cover, but ad page included) might exist from a separate distribution channel. This whole series is poorly documented. Good luck!

Some of these books may literally not exist in 9.8 condition. They certainly don't exist as 9.8 slabs. The best Centipede in the Census is a 9.6, but the best Yars' Revenge is an 8.0!

Edited by Qalyar

Very awesome collection! I love collecting video game comics as well, but I'm not going for a 9.8 collection like you are. Here's a fun one I found earlier this week (my copy is very far from a 9.8) that you may find interesting. The comic is basically a beat 'em up comic, clearly homaging Final Fight, Streets of Rage, and more. But check out this unofficial appearance on the inside.

IMG_20240113_045414698.jpg

IMG_20240113_045339304.jpg