• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attempting to collect the worlds best collection of video game comic 1st apps in 9.8 only!
2 2

181 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2024 at 12:52 AM, FloridianDemon said:

WE DID IT!!!

jbmg0k9c.png.32c9711801463b424db805e41697c8aa.png

This is sick—congrats! Interestingly I see more of the convention ones on eBay than the one from the anthology box, but I imagine that’s because the box itself is a collectible for Doom fans, whereas plenty of non-collectors/Doom fans probably grabbed the E3 copy when it was given out.

Crazy hard to get either in 9.8! The anthology one was—get this—rolled up like a newspaper in the box set lol.

Edited by Nsschenks

On 1/21/2024 at 5:38 PM, Nsschenks said:

This is sick—congrats! Interestingly I see more of the convention ones on eBay than the one from the anthology box, but I imagine that’s because the box itself is a collectible for Doom fans, whereas plenty of non-collectors/Doom fans probably grabbed the E3 copy when it was given out.

Crazy hard to get either in 9.8! The anthology one was—get this—rolled up like a newspaper in the box set lol.

Thanks!!! and yeah I swear 90% of the listing I see on ebay mislabel the book. almost all the ones I see say "convention variant" and then I check the back and realize its the anthology version lol. yellow face = convention, grey face = anthology, in case anyone didnt know!

Edited by FloridianDemon

On 1/21/2024 at 5:58 PM, FloridianDemon said:

Thanks!!! and yeah I swear 90% of the listing I see on ebay mislabel the book. almost all the ones I see say "convention variant" and then I check the back and realize its the anthology version lol. yellow face = convention, grey face = anthology, in case anyone didnt know!

Honestly, the font differences are the easiest way to distinguish them. The convention release has "#1" in italics, and the graphic violence content warning at the top not in italics. The anthology printing has "#1" not italicized, but the content warning at top is in italics. 

The color balance is also different, but with the vagaries of comic color balance being what they are in general, I always look for other distinguishing features first.

On 1/21/2024 at 7:09 PM, Qalyar said:

Honestly, the font differences are the easiest way to distinguish them. The convention release has "#1" in italics, and the graphic violence content warning at the top not in italics. The anthology printing has "#1" not italicized, but the content warning at top is in italics. 

The color balance is also different, but with the vagaries of comic color balance being what they are in general, I always look for other distinguishing features first.

Yep! its so funny, im so bad at remembering which is which with the fonts, thats why I just look at the back lol, clear as day! completely different

On 2/19/2024 at 5:40 PM, eastbayrudy said:

Sick collection man! Love the video game theme...keep up the good work and looking forward to what you add next! 

Thanks man, means alot! This one just came in! Im in love with this variant cover, best one by far and very scarce. 1st tomb raider!! actually bought this raw for 10 and got it pressed and then graded! last sale was 350! Sometimes its worth to grab em raw!

mu7kl65l.png

Edited by FloridianDemon

On 2/7/2024 at 3:47 PM, FloridianDemon said:

Another rare one has been added!!! Been hunting a while for this one!

brx0g44y.png

Sweeet. Not really a video game guy, but I am an Aliens guy, and it took me forever to find a halfway decent raw. They tend to have dinged up spines. A 9.8 is really something special, congrats. Great book (terrible game, though!)

On 2/20/2024 at 10:32 AM, F For Fake said:

Sweeet. Not really a video game guy, but I am an Aliens guy, and it took me forever to find a halfway decent raw. They tend to have dinged up spines. A 9.8 is really something special, congrats. Great book (terrible game, though!)

Thanks! Yeah that all black/dark spine makes it REALLY hard. I tried going the raw then grade it route but just couldnt find a good 9.8 canidate for almost a year. Went for it already graded instead and haggled WAY down on price for it! One of my fav covers. and yes the game is HORRIBLE! lol

On 2/11/2024 at 6:56 AM, FloridianDemon said:

BIG NEWS!!! Another grail coming in! This year has been starting off great with the grails!!! getting them done faster then expected! 1st app of sonic!!

vczppcml.png

Amazing comic and that great! I made a recent discovery about Sonic's first appearance though, in the Sonic thread beneath this thread ~