• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missing pages/wraps affect on grade/value
2 2

11 posts in this topic

Hi there. Thanks for taking the time to read this. 

How much do missing pages/wraps the value/grade of a book? 

I bought a Seven Seas #4  maybe 12 years ago on the boards. Iirc it was missing 3 or 4 wraps. I’ve had no luck with the CGC search function (I could make a thread about that alone). 

I’ve changed my handle a few times over the years with each new email address. If anyone knows a better way to search here are a few details that may help: 

My old handles were RIP_ODB1 and Freeloading_Rusty. There could be another I forgot.

This book was possibly from the collection of a beloved board member named Nik. I know I have his copy of Batman 251, the Seven Seas may have been from his collection as well.

Thanks for your time. 

Jeremy 

Edited by That_Guy

I think based on past threads that an incomplete book gets an automatic 0.5.

It would make sense it would be in diminishing returns of that grade and amount.

By how much idk, it would be difficult and dependent on how incomplete, what book, and that's about as far as I know :)

On 8/29/2023 at 6:52 PM, That_Guy said:

I bought a Seven Seas #4  maybe 12 years ago on the boards. Iirc it was missing 3 or 4 wraps. I’ve had no luck with the CGC search function (I could make a thread about that alone). 

I’ve changed my handle a few times over the years with each new email address. If anyone knows a better way to search here are a few details that may help: 

My old handles were RIP_ODB1 and Freeloading_Rusty. There could be another I forgot.

This book was possibly from the collection of a beloved board member named Nik. I know I have his copy of Batman 251, the Seven Seas may have been from his collection as well.

Thanks for your time. 

Jeremy 

And by and by @CGC Mikemight be able to help out with the board handle if you're to stick around. :cheers:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

• Administrator
On 8/29/2023 at 7:52 PM, That_Guy said:

The first one is a 0 post user, and I couldn't find the second one.  

On 8/29/2023 at 10:09 PM, wiparker824 said:

.5 blue label

Or 

Qualified green label, which could be any grade at that point. 

Bless you I had forgot! Idk the threshold for higher grade green. I know detached staple can have blue at 4.5 or 5.0 even I think, but I'm not sure if that is the threshold for that either lol just in my own experience...

On 8/29/2023 at 8:29 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Bless you I had forgot! Idk the threshold for higher grade green. I know detached staple can have blue at 4.5 or 5.0 even I think, but I'm not sure if that is the threshold for that either lol just in my own experience...

Do you mean the min threshold before they give you a green instead of a 0.5 blue? 

What the impact of various missing whatever is on value (being what you can sell it for) seems to be a question few have a good handle on. Sometimes I see what appears to be ridiculously low or high sales prices (and asks) for various incomplete books or parts. Probably because not enough data out there. Coverless books account for most of the data, so the market seems to have the best idea with these.

i personally think many books take too big a hit (realized sales price) for a missing centerfold, page or piece, and IMO adding a repro replacement part to complete the book should often bring it to a value greater than 0.5, with an obvious qualitative qualifier. And books with married parts attract me; a books that presents as 4.0 with a married piece is often more desirable to me that a lot of 2.0’s with certain defects.

On 8/29/2023 at 7:52 PM, That_Guy said:

Thanks for your time. 

Jeremy 

That book is all about the cover, so I think you could still get a couple thousand for it as long as the cover is intact and presentable.

I think "affecting value" is somewhat a misnomer. If a book with missing pages has a lower value, that doesn't make it more sell-able. If it's a book I want, but it's missing the centerfold, even if you priced a $300 book with a missing CF at $100, I still wouldn't buy it - one, because I don't want an incomplete book, and two, I don't think I could ever get more than what I paid for it especially factoring in the length of time it would take to sell it again.

I think the majority of people steer away from incomplete books (there are plenty that don't, but they are not legion), so it likely affects the percentage of buyers that are going to buy the book as it is. I think "affects sale-ability" is probably a better term when considering the book's importance and/or rarity.