• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If You Could Spend an Hour with a Comic Creator (Living or Passed) Who Would You Choose?
3 3

61 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2023 at 4:10 AM, Larryw7 said:

I think Bill Gaines would be my number one choice. Good wine, good food at Patrissey's and some of the best conversation in the world. When you read his interviews, his enthusiasm and love for his creators, his comics and his fans is infectious.

I know a lot of people would disagree, but I would like to spend some time talking to Bob Kane. Why did he screw over Bill Finger? He should have realized that sooner or later the truth would be known and his reputation would be in tatters, which has happened. Also, why did he hog all of the glory and keep the names of his "ghosts" hidden. I'd tell him his autobiography is over the top with his ego ruining every story, true or not. But I would also thank him for paying his ghosts well, helping them to keep food on the table. Unlike Marvel, which never paid or gave credit to Jack Kirby for all of the books he wrote in the "Marvel Method", and for the scores of characters he created. 

Yeah, again Gaines for sure. I did have the pleasure of having dinner with Grant Geissman and Al Feldstein once. So many great stories including ones about Gaines. Al was a great guy.

Kane, not so much. He would probably just talk about how great he was the whole time. 

Reading some of these comments, it's funny because I can't remember how many times I passed by uber talents like Wrightson, or Neal Adams sitting at a table all alone in a convention, and I never stopped to say Hi.

I just wouldn't know what to say. I won a print from Tony DeZuniga one time and had a nice chat with him and his wife. But I never asked anything about his artwork because it felt awkward. Even though I consider

him a legendary artist.  Sucks being an introvert, sometimes.

Ditko. I feel like we have 659 interviews of Stan giving his versions of Spideys origins but there’s very very little from Steve. I know he was a recluse who refused to do such things. I’d like an hour to get his version of events. 

I would say the same for Kirby too but since the question specified an hour, I don’t think that’d be long enough to cover 1/10 of his work at Marvel. 

On 9/12/2023 at 11:17 AM, Robot Man said:

Yeah, again Gaines for sure. I did have the pleasure of having dinner with Grant Geissman and Al Feldstein once. So many great stories including ones about Gaines. Al was a great guy.

Kane, not so much. He would probably just talk about how great he was the whole time. 

Never had the pleasure to meet any of them, but interviews I've watched auth Al left the impression that's he's an extremely nice and gracious person. 

On 9/12/2023 at 2:53 PM, bronze_rules said:

Reading some of these comments, it's funny because I can't remember how many times I passed by uber talents like Wrightson, or Neal Adams sitting at a table all alone in a convention, and I never stopped to say Hi.

I just wouldn't know what to say. I won a print from Tony DeZuniga one time and had a nice chat with him and his wife. But I never asked anything about his artwork because it felt awkward. Even though I consider

him a legendary artist.  Sucks being an introvert, sometimes.

I feel the same way! I went to so many shows with some many great creaters. I was never one to seek autographs, let alone pay for them.  I always tried to respect people's privacy if I happen to spot them away from the booth.

Over the last few years, as we saw Neal, Perez, Sinnot, Romita Sr and many other greats pass on, I've found myself regretting never saying hi or thank you.

I did go out of my way last year to meet Sterenko for just that reason.  To say thank you and your work meant alot to me. 

Well, Kirby would be an obvious choice but I did have the honor of meeting him so I'll lean towards two I never did get the chance to meet. 

1. Allen Bellman - found out who he was in 2019 and had great correspondence with him and did a couple of commissions. Wanted to fly to a show he was attending but COVID prevented that

2. Herb Trimpe - Bummed I never had the chance to meet him before he passed

On 9/13/2023 at 2:11 AM, rexinnih said:

Well, Kirby would be an obvious choice but I did have the honor of meeting him so I'll lean towards two I never did get the chance to meet. 

1. Allen Bellman - found out who he was in 2019 and had great correspondence with him and did a couple of commissions. Wanted to fly to a show he was attending but COVID prevented that

2. Herb Trimpe - Bummed I never had the chance to meet him before he passed

Herb was an incredible gentleman.  I was lucky enough to have had supper with him and his wife and two daughters (and Art Suydam, and Harley Yee of couse) and had a great time talking with them all all evening.  He did a killer Captain Marvel (Shazam) sketch for me that I cherish to this very day.

PS - I also had a great night sitting beside Art, and heading out with him after our supper.  Montreal has a lot of...ionteresting...spots to visit, and so we did ;)