• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hey Stop deleting our books haha, but seriously? our books are disappearing from the registry and I don't want to tie up the "new add" thread
2 2

36 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2024 at 9:13 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I did but then it made me think of my rapport having started this thread, which at the time I didn't believe was in angst, to wit I didn't want to prolong those thoughts with a laugh reaction. Then thought I was being too deep about it and turned my brain off lol

I'd like to win too, they always show examples of sets complete and in 9.8 lol

I think I need to face "a reality" in my sets lol as passionate as I feel I may be. :cheers:

I’m rooting for you!

On 1/18/2024 at 7:13 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I did but then it made me think of my rapport having started this thread, which at the time I didn't believe was in angst, to wit I didn't want to prolong those thoughts with a laugh reaction. Then thought I was being too deep about it and turned my brain off lol

I'd like to win too, they always show examples of sets complete and in 9.8 lol

I think I need to face "a reality" in my sets lol as passionate as I feel I may be. :cheers:

Perhaps that's my issue: "as passionate as I feel"

I don't really care about "winning", but I do want to showcase my collection.  Perhaps I'll start a journal.  I just really liked the format of the registry.

ps. I think Iconics remark was funny.  :)

On 1/19/2024 at 12:23 PM, Yorick said:

Perhaps that's my issue: "as passionate as I feel"

I don't really care about "winning", but I do want to showcase my collection.  Perhaps I'll start a journal.  I just really liked the format of the registry.

ps. I think Iconics remark was funny.  :)

It serves a purpose for sure, I'm sure you can make it work, but idk the details too much. Maybe it'll take multiple sets?

On 1/19/2024 at 11:01 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It serves a purpose for sure, I'm sure you can make it work, but idk the details too much. Maybe it'll take multiple sets?

That's kinda the problem.  I'd need multiple sets of the same title by the same publisher.  I'll get over it, but I just don't understand why a price variant can't be included with it's counter-part.

• Administrator

@Yorick I sent you a detailed message about this yesterday if you'd like to take a look, but I'll put this information out here for everyone who might benefit. 

Foreign Editions are going to be awarded in their own category during the Awards cycles because there are many collectors of these books on the Registry. We can't evaluate progress or any completion of Foreign Editions if the books are buried in US sets. They had to go into their own sets with a measurable goal so that we could actually see them when we pull the data.

As well, you don't need a Foreign Edition to complete a US set, and vice versa. 

I completely understand wanting to showcase a collection of books all in once place, but this is what Custom Sets are for. We are also expanding the awards given to Custom Sets. I am also working with our developers and internal team to improve the programming for the Custom Sets section so that those sets have better categorization and can be more easily searched.

Competitive Sets need to have measured limits to ensure fairness, because when anyone requests, and is given, an addition to a Competitive set, it forces all participants to collect that book to complete the set, even if the book is not technically needed to complete it, i.e., reprints, books from other runs, cover homages, Foreign Editions. This is what was happening all over the place. In other words, Competitive Sets were becoming Custom Sets and that isn't their intended purpose. 

On 1/19/2024 at 5:44 PM, jstam said:

even if the book is not technically needed to complete it, i.e., reprints, books from other runs, cover homages, Foreign Editions.

Hi. Not looking for a rumble here on this fine Saturday morning, but the Marvel price variants of the Silver, Bronze and Copper Ages are NOT foreign editions for purposes of your "i.e.," phrase above.  When the cents version of Incredible Hulk #1 was printed in 1962, it was along with the pence version as part of the same run, the same day, on the same printer, while attaching covers to the same awaiting pile of interiors.  That is how these Marvel books entered the world:  as fraternal twins, cents/pence in the case of the UK price variants, for example. 

Your point about versions NOT created at the exact same time and place, like the "reprints, books from other runs, cover  homages, foreign editions" is sensible, but the UK, Canadian, and Australian price variants, like the experimental price variants (e.g., 35c v. 30c) are NOT those types of later-issued versions.  

Edited by Pantodude

• Administrator

@Pantodude I'm unsure what you're trying to point out here? Domestically distributed Price Variants are exactly that - a variation in the normal price of a book that was distributed in the US. Those books are eligible for All Variants sets. They are not considered Foreign Editions. 

Foreign Editions are any book distributed outside of the US. 

On 1/22/2024 at 9:18 AM, jstam said:

@Pantodude I'm unsure what you're trying to point out here? Domestically distributed Price Variants are exactly that - a variation in the normal price of a book that was distributed in the US. Those books are eligible for All Variants sets. They are not considered Foreign Editions. 

Foreign Editions are any book distributed outside of the US. 

I guess I'm just disagreeing that Marvel's foreign price variants should be classified as Foreign Editions, which typically refer to versions printed in another country, in a foreign language, years later, and with many differences to the cover and/or interior.  Due to their unique place in Marvel's history, the foreign price variants (UK, CAN, AUST) are fraternal twins of their cents counterparts.  Why not include them in the regular registry?   

The fairness point seems to be overblown?  Those who are lucky enough to hunt down the Marvel price variants (they are exceedingly uncommon) will earn additional registry points, sure.  But those who don't hunt down the pence variants and instead use their funds to obtain higher graded cents  books will earn additional registry points that way, so it evens out.   In other words, there is no good reason to keep excluding these misunderstood price variants from the main Marvel registry sets (by pegging them Foreign Editions or otherwise). 

It would be a heck of an accomplishment for someone to complete an early Spidey run 1-100 run that includes both cents/pence for all to see on the same registry!   That would be just WOW!   Even accomplishing that in low grade would be unprecedented (as far as I know) and a herculean task.  One day, should I have a PC with enough depth to try the registry, I hope cents and price variants can be listed as part of the same regular  (i.e., non-custom) registry for the Silver Age, Bronze Age and Copper Age Marvel issues that have those variants.  That's all I'm saying.  A man can dream, right?  :foryou:

• Administrator

@Pantodude In a competitive environment, fairness has to be at the helm when we're measuring completeness.

We can't say that someone with an entire run of Avengers 1-100 has an incomplete set because it doesn't include the Foreign Editions.

We can't fairly compare 2 sets that are 70% complete where one has a mix of domestic and Foreign Editions while the other has only domestic.

We can't fairly award someone at 100% complete in a set that has Foreign Editions, while the rest of the participants have the entire run of domestic issues but their sets show as 85% complete because of the Foreign Editions being included in the set.

None of these scenarios are fair, and that is what was happening.

Your points are very true that Foreign Edition books are hard to find in high grade or in any grade for that matter. For those reasons alone they are deserving of their own sets and their own Awards category. You're also right that it would be an incredible accomplishment for someone to collect both domestic and Foreign Editions of the same run. That hypothetical set would now have three opportunities to win. It could compete in the Custom Set awards as a whole, and separately in the domestic and Foreign Edition set categories.

On 1/18/2024 at 9:24 PM, Iconic1s said:

I’m rooting for you!

I keep throwing the kitchen sink lol 😂😆

Hopefully I'm not stretching it too thin, especially with back cover pictures. I keep taking the total slabs, minusing the wraparound covers and dividing by the reg covers to find a percentage. Idk that it'll ever be 100% of specialty back cover pics.

It's only about 87% at the moment.

Have like 18 wraparounds that need both covers present, and about 10-20 that I enjoy the back cover lol

I'm now at diminishing returns with the amount left lol 😂

Registry is still fun though :)

@Iconic1s

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/23/2024 at 2:40 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I keep throwing the kitchen sink lol 😂😆

Hopefully I'm not stretching it too thin, especially with back cover pictures. I keep taking the total slabs, minusing the wraparound covers and dividing by the reg covers to find a percentage. Idk that it'll ever be 100% of specialty back cover pics.

It's only about 87% at the moment.

Have like 18 wraparounds that need both covers present, and about 10-20 that I enjoy the back cover lol

I'm now at diminishing returns with the amount left lol 😂

Registry is still fun though :)

@Iconic1s

I'm putting thought into it of course!

And Yet,

I try not to make the back cover specialty pic too much of a thinker, as it is a lot of slabs I understand if for some reason people only "read the description" in the main gallery of things that 'interested' them!"

That is my main viewing area.

When going to my page instead of clicking on the sets, to just immediately going to the gallery tab. 

The Sets are descriptive too, it is just "a lot" any way you look at it lol 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

@ADAMANTIUM

Mark, I don't follow registry related stuff but I noticed that there is a new registry related addition to our profile pages - see below:

Capture.PNG.f9cf0ac825d43650f8455382ce05f500.PNG

You can access it on the left hand page (desktop) by selecting the 'See My Activity' button.

It may have been noted already, but I thought you were the man to tell if not, as you'll likely understand it's significance / potential use :)

On 1/24/2024 at 4:31 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

@ADAMANTIUM

Mark, I don't follow registry related stuff but I noticed that there is a new registry related addition to our profile pages - see below:

You can access it on the left hand page (desktop) by selecting the 'See My Activity' button.

It may have been noted already, but I thought you were the man to tell if not, as you'll likely understand it's significance / potential use :)

Thanks Steve! That would have been cool! Because if it showed Registry activity on the boards then at least people would have seen me fixing descriptions last night lol I think I dream this stuff now, because things I've thought were situated or fixed with sentence structure, somehow later still need fixing. 

I don't however see it now, and I don't think that anything was formally announced, but the two links you show in the screenshot used to be topics of pinned threads in this section of the forums.

Maybe there was a thought to implement it? I'm not sure though, as I hadn't seen it before :cheers: 

image.png.253ad1fedd2215353c712096237a8b29.png

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/24/2024 at 4:31 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

@ADAMANTIUM

Hmmm, when I click on 'See My Activity' I don't see the CGC COMICS REGISTRY NEW SET & SLOT REQUESTS section at all.

@jstam

• Administrator

@workingdog @ADAMANTIUM @Get Marwood & I Thank you all for the vigilance; it's much appreciated!

There was some testing happening yesterday with the way we'll be taking requests moving forward, and a few bugs seem to have cropped up. I'm aware of it and will be working with the developers to get it sorted. 

On 1/24/2024 at 3:38 PM, jstam said:

@workingdog @ADAMANTIUM @Get Marwood & I Thank you all for the vigilance; it's much appreciated!

There was some testing happening yesterday with the way we'll be taking requests moving forward, and a few bugs seem to have cropped up. I'm aware of it and will be working with the developers to get it sorted. 

Okey dokey. It's disappeared from my profile now :)