• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How can I start a collection of American comics as a Brazilian?
2 2

28 posts in this topic

Good evening everyone,
I'm going to tell you something that's happening to me, it's very frustrating being a collector in Brazil, I always follow American comics culture, I see all kinds of articles,
videos and news that I find, I'm fascinated by the amount of comics you buy, I always wanted to have an imported comic, I saved some money for 3 months
and recently I bought an incredible Spider-Man for which I paid 800 reais, shipping was 240 and even when I arrived in Brazil I had to pay a fee of 330 reais,
that the minimum wage in Brazil is 1400 reais, equivalent to 270 dollars, this left me very disappointed, you are lucky, in addition to having a salary 4 times higher
than in Brazil Furthermore, the comics are very cheap and are available in all the places. sorry for my english

Edited by mateus menor

On 9/28/2023 at 6:46 PM, mateus menor said:

Uma boa noite a todos, vou contar uma coisa que está acontecendo comigo, é muito frustrante ser colecionador no Brasil, sempre acompanho a cultura americana dos quadrinhos, vejo todos os tipos de artigos, vídeos e notícias que encontro, eu' Estou fascinado com a quantidade de quadrinhos que você compra, sempre quis ter um quadrinho importado, economizei algum dinheiro por 3 meses e recentemente comprei um incrível homem aranha pelo qual paguei 800 reais, o frete foi 240 e mesmo quando cheguei no Brasil tive que pagar uma taxa de 330 reais, que o salário mínimo no Brasil é 1400 reais, equivalente a 270 dólares, isso me deixou muito decepcionado, você tem sorte, além de ter um salário 4 vezes maior que no Brasil Além disso, os quadrinhos são muito baratos e estão disponíveis em todos os lugares. sorry for my english

Google translate:
Good evening everyone,
I'm going to tell you something that's happening to me, it's very frustrating being a collector in Brazil, I always follow American comics culture, I see all kinds of articles,
videos and news that I find, I'm fascinated by the amount of comics you buy, I always wanted to have an imported comic, I saved some money for 3 months
and recently I bought an incredible Spider-Man for which I paid 800 reais, shipping was 240 and even when I arrived in Brazil I had to pay a fee of 330 reais,
that the minimum wage in Brazil is 1400 reais, equivalent to 270 dollars, this left me very disappointed, you are lucky, in addition to having a salary 4 times higher
than in Brazil Furthermore, the comics are very cheap and are available in all the places. sorry for my english

There is a boardie from Mexico here, I forget his name..

Its the boardie with the cauldron as his avatar and comic shop logo....

I can only think it is cheaper to buy from Mexico, as it's nearer, but idk if it would help with customs.

Prayers there is a way, and Lord willing cheaper option, and if anyone remembers the boardie handle or I remember... post it.

On 9/28/2023 at 6:28 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I can only think it is cheaper to buy from Mexico, as it's nearer, but idk if it would help with customs.

Prayers there is a way, and Lord willing cheaper option, and if anyone remembers the boardie handle or I remember... post it.

@Mijael.Levy

On 9/28/2023 at 8:28 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Thanks for the post, have a good night

On 9/28/2023 at 7:32 PM, mateus menor said:
On 9/28/2023 at 7:28 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Thanks for the post, have a good night

Edited by jimjum12

Im from Switzerland i bought tons of comics online for one years now. If you know where to find you can make your dreams come true. 

When you re located very far from the place you buy the best way to get good deal is too buy a great lot of book in one order ( like that the delivery fees is like divided in each book) 

Ebay is a good place to buy, dont miss to look if the customs fees are included in the bill, to not have to pay more when you receive the package.

Website like mycomicshop.com is a good way too, because you can take every specific book that you want to get, the choice is wonderful.

My last and BEST option is the webshop of my friend Darren Collett, Splat Comics >

https://www.splatcomics.com/

Hope i was usefull for you and hope you not rennounce to this wonderful passion!

On 9/28/2023 at 6:46 PM, mateus menor said:

Good evening everyone,

There are also many collectors in the United States who are interested in Brazilian comics.  You may be able to find some fans here who would be willing to arrange an exchange plan where you send a shipment of Brazilian comics and an American collector sends a shipment of US comics.

Há também muitos colecionadores nos Estados Unidos que se interessam pelos quadrinhos brasileiros. Você pode encontrar alguns fãs aqui que estariam dispostos a organizar um plano de troca onde você envia uma remessa de quadrinhos brasileiros e um colecionador americano envia uma remessa de quadrinhos americanos.

Brazilian comics are very hot right now. People who collect foreign books are paying a lot of money . You should buy them , resell them and get the books you want. If you want to avoid taxes just ask the seller to declare lower value. 

Edited by Mijael.Levy

On 9/29/2023 at 8:30 AM, Mijael.Levy said:

Brazilian comics are very hot right now. People who collect foreign books are paying a lot of money . You should buy them , resell them and get the books you want. If you want to avoid taxes just ask the seller to declare lower value. 

Appreciate you taking the time to respond, I know some may say a vetted place like eBay, and I wasn't sure, as it is newer poster, if I should wait to tag you 😂

It was just a thought! I know Australia and Canada residents will do a drop to a facility in the USA that are experts in handling, in order to buy and then ship over to their country all at one time.

For some odd reason I thought the closer country to the country might matter.

On 9/29/2023 at 3:30 PM, Mijael.Levy said:

I never heard about it before lol

Is about real brazilian comics or american translated comics book?

On 9/29/2023 at 11:57 AM, BA773 said:

Both actually, Brazilian versions of US books and native Brazilian comics are getting more attention.  I'm in an Instagram claim sale group managed by a Brazilian seller.  He offers both kinds of comics then sends one big box to the US where his friend breaks them down into individual shipments to buyers.  It's much less costly than sending individual shipments internationally.

On 29/09/2023 at 09:08, wardevil0 said:

Há também muitos colecionadores nos Estados Unidos que se interessam pelos quadrinhos brasileiros. Você pode encontrar alguns fãs aqui que estariam dispostos a organizar um plano de troca onde você envia uma remessa de quadrinhos brasileiros e um colecionador americano envia uma remessa de quadrinhos americanos.

Há também muitos colecionadores nos Estados Unidos que se interessam pelos quadrinhos brasileiros. Você pode encontrar aqui alguns fãs que gostariam de organizar um plano de troca onde você envia um contêiner de quadrinhos brasileiros e um colecionador americano envia um contêiner de quadrinhos americanos.

thanks for the idea

On 9/29/2023 at 9:57 AM, BA773 said:

Both specially Golden Age books - they have original golden age terror books with covers from Jayme Cortez , he was great Brazilian artist and they have early DC issues translated to Portuguese . Here´s an example 

20230821_165124.thumb.jpg.2b2f487eb8008092159e0a0c81f100f1.jpg

326297318_693577452261558_2440885256959689719_n.thumb.jpg.e678a1dab798a18d760e5e27d5c8f23a.jpg

CGC4329603-007_OBV.thumb.jpg.877045f1e663f7dc408f7ecff55b5b1b.jpg