• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing ruined my comics, is there any recourse?
2 2

20 posts in this topic

I submitted 10 comics to CGC for a 9.8 prescreen. 5 of the comics were slam sunk 9.8s and 5 were borderline and none of them had any color breaks at all anywhere. so I decided to have them pressed before grading. Only two were slabbed 8 were rejected, when I got them back the 8 rejects were riddled with color breaking spine ticks. i mean like a half dozen color breaks.It looks like they were pressed but not humidified during the pressing. that is only a guess, I'm just thinking of the physics of the process, but I don't know. Has anyone else had their books wrecked like this? Not sure what I want them to do, it's not like they can fix them. I'm just so disappointed.

what was your 9.8 hit percentage previously with respect to your cgc submissions?

I'd say contact cgc, they may or may not be able to make it right, but you can give the feedback either way which may generate improvements in the long run.

I had some books that I had pressed by CGC that were CBCS 9.8s and came back with all types of color breaking spine ticks and lesser grades.  This was also the one and only time that I had CGC crack my holders.  I have also seen Youtube videos of people claiming the same thing.  Matt Nelson on the other hand is a Wizard, and unless he is pressing my book, I avoid CGC's presses as well as letting CGC crack my cases.

On 10/2/2023 at 12:22 PM, Yorick said:

Postal handling can be a problem too.  Don't rush to assign blame on the presser.

Postal handling isn't going to cause color breaking spine tics unless they are removing the book, manipulating the book, and repacking it before sending it through.lol 

On 10/2/2023 at 10:47 AM, Biggin747 said:

5 of the comics were slam sunk 9.8s and 5 were borderline and none of them had any color breaks at all anywhere. so I decided to have them pressed before grading.

If you like throwing your money away, send some my way. 

Seriously. If it's a slam dunk 9.8 why on earth would you send it off for pressing? INSANE. 

You think you're going to turn it into a 9.9 or a 10? It doesn't work that way. 

On 10/2/2023 at 11:47 AM, Biggin747 said:

I submitted 10 comics to CGC for a 9.8 prescreen. 5 of the comics were slam sunk 9.8s and 5 were borderline and none of them had any color breaks at all anywhere. so I decided to have them pressed before grading. Only two were slabbed 8 were rejected, when I got them back the 8 rejects were riddled with color breaking spine ticks. i mean like a half dozen color breaks.It looks like they were pressed but not humidified during the pressing. that is only a guess, I'm just thinking of the physics of the process, but I don't know. Has anyone else had their books wrecked like this? Not sure what I want them to do, it's not like they can fix them. I'm just so disappointed.

Before and after photos would be very helpful. Also, consider this a valuable life lesson---what have you learned from this experience?    hm

On 10/9/2023 at 6:23 PM, newshane said:

Postal handling isn't going to cause color breaking spine tics unless they are removing the book, manipulating the book, and repacking it before sending it through.lol 

Nothing so involved as that.  They could simply drive their truck over your package.  Maybe the books were shipped in a bubble mailer?  :baiting:

On 10/10/2023 at 12:34 PM, Yorick said:

Nothing so involved as that.  They could simply drive their truck over your package.  Maybe the books were shipped in a bubble mailer?  :baiting:

I mean, anything is possible. That doesn't make it likely. 

In both instances, there would be other damage like massive folds, bends, or ripples across the cover. But a series of color-breaking spine tics? Highly unlikely that's the fault of the postal carrier. 

On 10/2/2023 at 6:47 PM, Biggin747 said:

Contact your pressing service provider and explain the situation. Express your concerns and dissatisfaction with the results. They may offer to fix the problem or provide compensation.

I just got back one like this and was very disappointed. Several spine ticks and scuffing on the back that were not there. It was a SS book so I would think it was handling during the pressing or grading process since it should not have come out of the yellow signature folder before this, Right? Shipping should never cause this. Oh, well you live and learn.

On 10/10/2023 at 4:42 PM, newshane said:

I mean, anything is possible. That doesn't make it likely. 

In both instances, there would be other damage like massive folds, bends, or ripples across the cover. But a series of color-breaking spine tics? Highly unlikely that's the fault of the postal carrier. 

I just purchased 5 comics and I think USPS may have done just that. Drive a truck over the Gemini folder they were shipped in. All have bends and one was a foil that can't be pressed out.

Gemini_1.jpg

Gemini_2.jpg

Gemini_3.jpg

On 10/16/2023 at 10:17 AM, WDBill said:

I just purchased 5 comics and I think USPS may have done just that. Drive a truck over the Gemini folder they were shipped in. All have bends and one was a foil that can't be pressed out.

Gemini_1.jpg

Gemini_2.jpg

Gemini_3.jpg

1. That's extremely unfortunate! I'm so sorry! 

2. The damage is there for sure. But as you can clearly see, unfortunately, there will be much more apparent damage than a series of spine tics!  I was just saying that postage mishandling isn't going to lead to localized damage like spine tics (that's probably the fault of the presser...I mean...butcher).