• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problems with Metropolis/Comic Connect
2 2

20 posts in this topic

Has anyone else had recent problems with Metropolis/Comic Connect?  I won two books in late August on Comic Connect auctions.  I live in Canada, so to make the shipping worth it I bought four more books from Metropolis.  I did not see any way to link the two purchases into one package for shipping, so I called their phone number, and spoke to a very helpful staffer who agreed to ship the 6 books together, and charge to my credit card on file.

It usually takes about two weeks to get a package from the US.  After four weeks, I had received nothing, so I called them last Wednesday morning.  After  a lengthy period on hold, the again helpful staffer apologized and said something had gone very wrong with my order.  One or more of the books I ordered could not be found, and potentially had been sold/sent to someone else.  But rather than do anything about it, they just parked my order and there it sat until I called.  The staffer asked for more time to figure out what was wrong, and promised to call me back by the end of the day.

She didn’t.

Nor did she call the next day.

I called again Friday, got the answering machine, and left a message.  No response.  

I called today, spoke to the same staffer who again apologized, said other people have not gotten back to her.  She again asked for the remainder of the day to shake people down.  I agreed on the strict condition that she call me back with an update by the end of the day, and she promised to do so, asking if she could leave a message if I did not pick up, and I said that was fine.  I also said at this point, I’m ok with just cancelling this order if they will refund my credit card.

The work day in New York City, where Metropolis is located, ended an hour ago.  No response to me.

So at this point I am wondering if anyone else has had recent or current problems with them?  And you might want to stay off Comic Connect until they figure this out. 

I will of course update everyone if there are further developments.

Sorry to hear that. I would think that since they admitted fault the least they could do would be to refund you the cost of books that they can't locate and ship the ones they do have for free to make up for it and give you a discount on a future purchase.

Haven't bought from them in a few years but never had an issue like this. I'm in the U.S.tho.

I just bought a book from them yesterday for the first time. Afterwards it said, "shipping your orders can take up to 3 weeks to ship out of our facility." Seeing that left a sour taste in my mouth. I'm in NY though so hopefully don't run into the same problems you've faced. That sounds like a nightmare scenario. I really hope it gets squared away for you.

This any many other reasons are why people don't buy from Metropolis. Hopefully you purchased cgc graded comics or you might have a second issue with there famous raw grading.  Kind of a "good enough gang" mentality.  I sincerely hope you are able to get this rectified.

On 10/2/2023 at 8:12 PM, BEAUMONTS said:

This any many other reasons are why people don't buy from Metropolis. Hopefully you purchased cgc graded comics or you might have a second issue with there famous raw grading.  Kind of a "good enough gang" mentality.  I sincerely hope you are able to get this rectified.

I have bought raw books twice before from Metropolis, and had no disagreement on grades (8.5), and no problems with books not shipping punctually.

I've had an order at another big on-line dealer turn out to be a book they couldn't find and thought was stolen, but I received immediate notification.  I've also had an auction win and added a non-auction book to the order and had no problem with getting them shipped together - but again, not Metropolis.  Hopefully, they'll be able to resolve this quickly.  Thank you for allowing a reasonable period of time to pass before inquiring and posting here.

I placed an order for a bunch of books with them in the spring, and it took a little over a month to receive them (I'm in the NYC area just like they are, so the postal system had nothing to do with it). Seemed like the books I was buying were consigned and it took several weeks for them to receive them; communication wasn't great and it felt like I did have to chase them a bit. Just like you're describing, not the worst transaction ever but pokey enough to be annoying.

On 10/2/2023 at 10:05 PM, Point Five said:

I placed an order for a bunch of books with them in the spring, and it took a little over a month to receive them (I'm in the NYC area just like they are, so the postal system had nothing to do with it). Seemed like the books I was buying were consigned and it took several weeks for them to receive them; communication wasn't great and it felt like I did have to chase them a bit. Just like you're describing, not the worst transaction ever but pokey enough to be annoying.

But let me guess - you had to pay immediately.  Something radically wrong with their business model...

Edited by pemart1966

On 10/2/2023 at 9:02 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I've had an order at another big on-line dealer turn out to be a book they couldn't find and thought was stolen, but I received immediate notification.  I've also had an auction win and added a non-auction book to the order and had no problem with getting them shipped together - but again, not Metropolis.  Hopefully, they'll be able to resolve this quickly.  Thank you for allowing a reasonable period of time to pass before inquiring and posting here.

So please tell me who this good vendor is!

I think mcs having in possession consignment books is the way to go. Logistically it would probably be a nightmare storing other people's books for sale.

Bright side is they have the books so there is no trying to get the consignee to send books that have been bought online and then the online business sending the books to the buyer. There could be damage or missing or delays from having this other step.

And what happens if the owner of the book is away on a month vacation cruise or even longer?

UPDATE: I called Metropolis back this week, and was told they had left a message on my phone.  My phone showed a call from their number, but no message was left.  But I took them at their word.

They still cannot find all the comics in my order, so as I had offered, they will simply cancel the entire order and issue a refund via Mastercard.  If I don’t actually see that refund, I will let everyone know.

They apologized again, and said if the comics ever show up I will be given the chance to purchase them at the previously prices (I won’t).  They also said I will get free shipping if I decide to order from them again.  That does not seem likely at the moment.

On 10/2/2023 at 6:54 PM, LadyDeath said:

I just bought a book from them yesterday for the first time. Afterwards it said, "shipping your orders can take up to 3 weeks to ship out of our facility." Seeing that left a sour taste in my mouth. I'm in NY though so hopefully don't run into the same problems you've faced. That sounds like a nightmare scenario. I really hope it gets squared away for you.

Oh man….  I just bought there a few weeks ago and I’m encroaching on 3 weeks and no shipment yet.   I cannot believe it takes that long.  I’ll probably never buy there again.

On 5/4/2024 at 7:34 AM, kmarty009 said:

Oh man….  I just bought there a few weeks ago and I’m encroaching on 3 weeks and no shipment yet.   I cannot believe it takes that long.  I’ll probably never buy there again.

Yeah, that was the only time for me. I ended up getting that book in the middle of November. Terrible.

On 5/4/2024 at 7:34 AM, kmarty009 said:

I hear you. I bought a book from them April 21, paid their separately-invoiced shipping charge the next morning and no movement since then.  :juggle:

An order from around last December took about 5 weeks to get to me.  Outside of that, they've been "ok".  But I've only used them about 3 times now and they've been extremely quick in fixing an error on an auction for me.  So, I guess I can't complain too much.