• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does this restored book have a universal label?
5 5

24 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 10/5/2023 at 9:27 PM, Comical21 said:

I haven't seen this before and was wondering if this is a new label policy. Maybe the most likely explanation is the wrong label was used and it was supposed to be printed on a purple label?

Is this your book?

On 10/6/2023 at 3:40 AM, namisgr said:

Besides the mistake on the label color, that front cover is missing an awful lot of its right side.  Especially so for a book with a back to front cover miswrap.

The cover miswrap is the very reason why the right edge of the cover is cut off. The text and comics code stamp on this particular issue are too close to the edge even on a well-centered copy.

x2.thumb.jpg.3dd054085ce4e7289d62bfe7de3e1056.jpg

On 10/6/2023 at 10:41 AM, trademarkcomics said:

The cover miswrap is the very reason why the right edge of the cover is cut off. The text and comics code stamp on this particular issue are too close to the edge even on a well-centered copy.

Perhaps, but that explanation doesn't jibe with the front cover right edge landing a considerable distance short of the interior pages (that is, instead, a common occurrence for books with front to back cover miswraps, such as the jokingly called 2 cent Marvels), or the pristine straightness of the right front cover edge despite the considerable wear distributed over the rest of the front cover.

Edited by namisgr

On 10/6/2023 at 7:57 AM, namisgr said:

Perhaps, but that explanation doesn't jibe with the front cover right edge landing a considerable distance short of the interior pages (that is, instead, a common occurrence for books with front to back cover miswraps, such as the jokingly called 2 cent Marvels), or the pristine straightness of the right front cover edge despite the considerable wear distributed over the rest of the front cover.

Possibly trimmed. But still could be simply a reverse spine roll situation as well---probably incidental, but if they cleaned and replaced the staples, they could have purposefully done this to "hide" spine damage...I don't think CGC notes that, though they should. I'm giving CGC the benefit of the doubt... 

On 10/6/2023 at 9:04 AM, devco said:

This is was mine. Came to me as universal 3.0. The cover was cleaned and original staples reinstalled.

There is no trimming, that’s how the cover ended up after re-centering and press.

This should received a Conserved label because the cleaning but because of the staple issue, it should have been purple. 
I have let the buyer know and offered to return for a full refund if so desired. 

CGC has offered to review the staples again.

DevcoComics

(thumbsu  (thumbsu

I knew I was getting a book back that had been classified as restored, so when I received it, I thought to myself, "I hope they screwed up and gave me a blue label too". No, not a blue label...a yellow one. :roflmao:

asm78whoops.thumb.jpg.e5f440fd0710ff0b6a0589946eb553d1.jpg

It was in QC for days too...now I'm left wondering how they could have missed the mistake. Not sending it back in to be fixed, since this is for my personal collection and I'll take a yellow label over purple any day and twice on Sunday. 

On 10/7/2023 at 7:10 PM, trademarkcomics said:

I knew I was getting a book back that had been classified as restored, so when I received it, I thought to myself, "I hope they screwed up and gave me a blue label too". No, not a blue label...a yellow one. :roflmao:

It was in QC for days too...now I'm left wondering how they could have missed the mistake. Not sending it back in to be fixed, since this is for my personal collection and I'll take a yellow label over purple any day and twice on Sunday. 

naked-gun-facepalm.gif

Spoiler

It also bares repeating 

That you're free to do what you want, I just also remember this one taking a while and now to see it end up like that? I agree with you in the sentiment 

lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/7/2023 at 5:10 PM, trademarkcomics said:

Assuming that one of the covers doesn't have resto makes it a Universal grade still ??? @CGC Mike

On 10/8/2023 at 2:04 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Assuming that one of the covers doesn't have resto makes it a Universal grade still ??? @CGC Mike

Actually the inner cover was also restored with a piece replaced.

asm78dcb.thumb.jpg.23adcc093b4de8207347b933c25a9b4d.jpg

I removed the piece in an effort to get a blue label. But apparently the outer cover had resto. But you make a good point. if you remove the outer cover it would be a 5.5 universal grade. 7.5 purple...5.5 blue...

lweitherway.gif.53e2026c1d7c9ee86e2a1051baba786c.gif

On 10/8/2023 at 9:30 PM, trademarkcomics said:

Actually the inner cover was also restored with a piece replaced.

asm78dcb.thumb.jpg.23adcc093b4de8207347b933c25a9b4d.jpg

I removed the piece in an effort to get a blue label. But apparently the outer cover had resto. But you make a good point. if you remove the outer cover it would be a 5.5 universal grade. 7.5 purple...5.5 blue...

lweitherway.gif.53e2026c1d7c9ee86e2a1051baba786c.gif

Got a pm from CGC Mike. They are offering to remove the resto and give me a blue label for free. So I took them up on it. It might come back a 5.5, but at least it will be unquestionably what it is.

Thanks CGC!!!

wedding-crashers-cheers-ef7akopeqbymhci4.gif.138f079a33d198de22c1378eda42bd0e.gif