• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie here, found all of this in 3 Poland Spring boxes in a storage unit
2 2

26 posts in this topic

Hi, I mostly do estate sales and storage cleanouts. I had a peak at this and knew it was special.

DC, marvel, Gold Key, Dell, Chartlon. Nothing in bags unfortunately. Slowly going through it figuring out what's what. Kind of new to the comic buy/sell market game but not to selling things in general. Any suggestions on how to proceed are appreciated. Located in North NJ if anyone can't point me in the right direction. 

20231005_074650.jpg

20231004_084103.jpg

20231004_122815.jpg

Edited by richATTK
Added stuff

Thanks, yes a bit, I have some late 80s 90s Marvel stuff that I've had since I was a kid, bagged and boarded. Nothing crazy but 1st Gambit 1st Jim Lee, 1st Bishop etc. I've thought about sending those away to be graded for a few yrs. 

Or are you talking about just a general ballpark "eyeball" grading? Yeah I'd be completely new to that. 

Edited by richATTK
Tried to quote, figuring out how the forum works.

Welcome To The Boards!!!

Depends what you are looking for price wise, what you have and how much time you are willing to put in.

In order to sell properly the book(s) needs to be graded and a FMV determined before attempting to sell. As far as grading, you can guess/estimate for an eBay posting which a lot of sellers do as long as you post good/clear pics of the entire book(s). You cannot sell in Facebook Comic Book Sales groups without assigning a grade, the mods will not allow the listing but you can sell anyway you like in the Marketplace, if you are looking to sell the entire lot to a dealer, there is a dealer in Central/North Jersey who buys comics, I just recently spoke with him about my Son's books, naturally you would not get full FMV from a dealer and you will need a complete list of what you have or drive the books to them, either way, you should know what you have before doing any of this.

https://www.njcomicstop.com/about

FMV can be obtained using "Ebay Sold Auctions" for books in the same grade, again you need to have an estimate of grade, use the pictures to see if the books look like yours.

I would suggest you read through the grading guides, get an understanding, grade a couple of books then post them with good/clear pics in the "https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/" section and see what other knowledgeable folks see the grade as and if they agree with your assessment, Do Not tell us what you thought the grade may be until after folks have replied so we go in with no pre-conceived notions.

Which ever way you decide to go, Good Luck!!!

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

https://gemstonepub.com/price-guides/grading-guides/

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/10586/cgc-guide-grading-comics-nelson/

On 10/6/2023 at 1:45 PM, marvelmaniac said:

Welcome To The Boards!!!

Which ever way you decide to go, Good Luck!!!

Wow, thanks for that incredibly detailed reply. Tons of great info. I'm trying to have fun with this, went through a big set of Chartlon, Dell, Gold Key books today, just scanning eBay completed sales. 

On 10/6/2023 at 1:45 PM, marvelmaniac said:

if you are looking to sell the entire lot to a dealer, there is a dealer in Central/North Jersey who buys comics, I just recently spoke with him about my Son's books,

there are many of us in central NJ!

I let OP know I am now an auction house and sell on Live Auctioneers now, so anyone who wants to watch their books sell at auction is welcome to contact me! I'm running out of books after 4 auctions this year! ;-)

Rich,
Happy to help provide advice here.  I live in Bergen County NJ if you need local support.  From what you showed, most of the books appear to be mid-low grade, but there are a few bronze and silze keys sprinkled within, that you showed in your picture and the stacks listed.

Happy to help here..
DP

Having fun with it is the key. 

I would bag and board them and then catalog them in an excel spread sheet. 

You'll find there is no easy/ short way to do this. It's a labor of love. And unfortunately most books likely aren't worth that labor. 

That said, you've got some cool books in there. Most of the $0.12 Marvel's will have some value.  You've definitely got some minor keys.  If you put the excel sheet together,  post it and a number of us can pick out the bigger books.  We can even help grade those books,  so you can get a good feel for prices. 

Simple advice, I would try to take the best stuff and sell it myself for close to FMV. Take the drek to local comic shops and get pennies on the dollar for it, just to move it and save the head ache. 

On 10/7/2023 at 2:34 PM, richATTK said:

Went through some fun stuff today. Bagged and boarded everything. Most are low to mid grade, a few DDs are mid-Fine 

Daredevil 51-76, 78

Incredible Hulk 107-109, 115-136, 139, 141

Inc Hulk Giant Size Special Ed. 3

Thor 129-137, 140, 143-148, 159, 161-171,190 

Sgt Fury and His Howling Commandos 23, 24, 29, 31, 35-37, 39-41, 44-51, 53-55, 58-61, 63-70, 72, 73, 75, 77-79, 89

Sgt Fury Commandos Giant Size Spec Ed 5&6

20231007_141632.jpg

Awesome. They'll look really nice in bags / boards.   The colors look great. 

On 10/8/2023 at 7:42 AM, richATTK said:

They are! Making me even more excited as I bag them, haha 

20231008_094112.jpg

Might want to count pages as you bag and board.  Almost everything excepting giant size from this era is 8 pages to the center staples and 8 pages to the back cover making a book 16 pages double sided..  Don’t want to sell incomplete books as complete.  

Congrats you have some value here