• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you willing to do to fund your comic collecting hobby?
2 2

65 posts in this topic

An interesting article was recommended to me by my comic related newsfeed. There has been much discussion about who is paying large sums for collectible comics. Speculation ranged from Russian oligarchs, rich comic dealers, trust fund kids or wealthy individuals seeking alternative investments from high tech, business, sports and  entertainment fields. This guy with a famous dad funded his $100K purchases of 2 Pokemon cards and an Amazing Fantasy 15 from his inheritance, wife’s salary and income from his OnlyFans account. He intends to flip the cards and comic for profit later. I was not familiar with OnlyFans until I looked it up on Google. :whatthe:

I won’t judge this guy’s life choices but could someone tell me the investment potential of Pokemon cards? I think there may be some interesting comments…

https://pagesix.com/2023/09/28/marston-hefner-spent-100k-onlyfans-check-on-pokemon-cards-comic-books/

On 10/7/2023 at 10:34 PM, jpepx78 said:

An interesting article was recommended to me by my comic related newsfeed. There has been much discussion about who is paying large sums for collectible comics. Speculation ranged from Russian oligarchs, rich comic dealers, trust fund kids or wealthy individuals seeking alternative investments from high tech, business, sports and  entertainment fields. This guy with a famous dad funded his $100K purchases of 2 Pokemon cards and an Amazing Fantasy 15 from his inheritance, wife’s salary and income from his OnlyFans account. He intends to flip the cards and comic for profit later. I was not familiar with OnlyFans until I looked it up on Google. :whatthe:

I won’t judge this guy’s life choices but could someone tell me the investment potential of Pokemon cards? I think there may be some interesting comments…

https://pagesix.com/2023/09/28/marston-hefner-spent-100k-onlyfans-check-on-pokemon-cards-comic-books/

Best part of this post : "I was not familiar with OnlyFans until I looked it up on Google. :whatthe:"

:roflmao:

Edit : I guess I should answer the question posed, so : I retired a few years ago, but I keep my purchases to an "internal/mental" budget.  I don't really have a budget for anything other than my comic book purchases since I really don't spend a ton of money on anything else, and I don't spend anywhere near what I could spend on comic books.  If it ever came to "gosh, I think I may be spending too much on comics", I nix the comic purchases. :)  So specifically, I would never attempt to "save" my comic book hobby, for example.  I'd curtail it if the need ever arose.  Hopefully it doesn't.

Edited by Telegan

On 10/8/2023 at 8:27 AM, KCOComics said:

I'm curious why holding them for 20 years would be a bad idea? 

A few years ago,  my son was begging me for graded pokemon cards. He was 7 or 8 at the time and he swore they would be worth a fortune one day.  I said no and proceeded to explain why he was wrong.... but,  I flashed back to conversations I had with my father 30 years earlier about comics. 

Now, the comics I was trying to convince my father to buy would have been a waste (modern age 90s drek.. Spawn 1, Xmen 1(90s)).  So dad would have won that argument... but had he bought some SA keys for a few hundred dollars? 

Anyway - I told my son we would look into it. So we researched which decks to buy,  the grades and characters and so on. I got advice from folks here,  and for Christmas I bought him 5 graded cards from the original series. They were popular characters in high grade.  Nothing terribly expensive. 

They have sat locked away with my comics and have only come out when he asks to see them. But the plan is, wait and see. When he is 30 or 40, will they be the "key" collectibles of his life? Or will they be bookmarks in nice cases? Either way,  it's minimum risk.  

Great!

Whenever I sell my comic books (graded, one day to be graded, and raw) I will give all the proceeds to my daughter as, thankfully, my wife and I don't need them. My daughter, thankfully as well, does not need them but she and the grandchildren will, of course, have more of a lifetime to put the funds to work.

On 10/8/2023 at 8:53 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Great!

Whenever I sell my comic books (graded, one day to be graded, and raw) I will give all the proceeds to my daughter as, thankfully, my wife and I don't need them. My daughter, thankfully as well, does not need them but she and the grandchildren will, of course, have more of a lifetime to put the funds to work.

Not to derail the thread to much,   but I love it. My dream was always that my kids would enjoy comics and want to collect with me. If they don't,  I'm very content with idea of any proceeds from the comics enriching their lives. 

I went without health insurance for 9 years in order to continue collecting comics. I finally caved in and bought health insurance in 2021 after COVID hit. (I've been to the doctor twice in the past three years, so I often think ruefully about the extra comics I could have purchased if only I hadn't caved in and bought health insurance. I may have a problem.)

On 10/8/2023 at 1:14 AM, Telegan said:

Best part of this post : "I was not familiar with OnlyFans until I looked it up on Google. :whatthe:"

:roflmao:

I'm still not familiar with OnlyFans (and I'm not going to bother Googling it) so I don't get what's funny.

My attitude towards collecting is I buy it because I want it not because I NEED it and have always funded my love of the hobby the same way. If I have the disposable income to pick up a few books here and there, great. If it’s something on the higher end pricewise, I have less expensive books I can sell or trade that can be more easily replaced at a later date. I can also accept there are books that are just beyond my reach and doing without has always been pretty normal for me. I’ve also come across “opportunities” but having a conscience is a good way to keep the hobby fun for me.