• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the top 5 Pedigree’s in your opinion?
7 7

125 posts in this topic

On 10/23/2023 at 1:32 PM, MrBedrock said:

I remember the run going to Geppi for $4000 in 1981.

Reckless spendthrift rantrant

On 10/23/2023 at 2:59 PM, sfcityduck said:

I've got the 1991 and 1994 Sotheby's catalogs, but not the 1997.

Mods notified. (tsk)

There was a run of Planets in approximately fine condition, with the #1 restored.

On 10/24/2023 at 2:59 AM, sfcityduck said:

Jerry Buss was the right guy when it came to comics. I'd heard he owned a really great run of Planets. Thought they were the MH. In any event, looks like he sold his collection in 1997 through Sotheby's. I've got the 1991 and 1994 Sotheby's catalogs, but not the 1997. Now I'm curious if they had a Planet run. I heard he had to sell because of money troubles with the Lakers. From the LA Times:

Remember Those Comics Your Mom Tossed? Well. . .

BY IRENE LACHER
JUNE 6, 1997 12 AM PT
TIMES STAFF WRITER

There is one overriding reason why prices are soaring for the nation’s most popular collectible.

When your mother had the chance, she made you throw it out.

The humble comic book, once damned by parents as toxic trash, is now bringing in serious cash.

“One of the common adages among collectors is ‘My mother made me throw them away,’ ” says Gary M. Carter, editor of the San Diego-based monthly the Comic Book Marketplace. “It just plants the seed so that as soon as they grow up they march back to mail-order houses and bookstores and put together the comics they were forced to get rid of. It has a tendency to keep comics rare because nobody kept them.”

Consider the scarcity--and estimated price--of a well-preserved Action Comics No. 1, one of the crown jewels of the massive collection of Dr. Jerry Buss valued at more than a quarter-million dollars. The L.A. Lakers owner’s 4,000-book trove, considered among the country’s top dozen comics collections, goes on the block next week at Sotheby’s in New York and is on view today in Beverly Hills.

Action No. 1 is considered the most important comic book ever published because it launched Superman and the age of superheroes. Buss’ copy, which cost a thin dime when it was published in June 1938, is now worth an estimated $40,000 to $50,000.

Those prices seem awfully quaint now, don't they? lol

Of course, comics aren't the only assets that have skyrocketed in value since 1997.  The Lakers are now valued at $6.4b, although I would guess they'd go for even more if they ever actually came on the market because potential buyers would realize it'd be their only opportunity to own the NBA's marquee franchise.

On 10/16/2023 at 9:22 AM, zzutak said:

If we consider only a single criterion -- state of paper preservation (aka blinding white pages) -- and limit the discussion to Golden Age and Atomic Age pedigrees, the Central Valley Collection, Salida Collection, and Spokane Collection will be difficult to top.  Approximately 80% of the 400 books in the Central Valley Collection were certified as having white pages (with another 15% deemed to be "only" ow-wh).  And every raw Salida or Spokane copy I've been fortunate enough to thumb through has had a gorgeous, snow-white interior.  :hi:

Vancouver?

Several more Church copies...

70849431-3688-4b4b-9bc8-ce64a91e499a_zpstrnu1hlx.jpeg.8b3f7eea29550cba11aadc51cbe95534.jpeg

6458bbc2-a9ce-47b3-9361-2b695e35d89a_zpsxpoxowzn.jpeg.768d2268ee0b8e50ec0819b7640c26de.jpeg

3e6bcddf-c1ac-4534-8d83-952048a60ee4_zpsbqzclxnp.jpeg.755d9e99dc2cf0f6822a200b70d3220a.jpeg

Spoiler

AN9-1B_zpsd7a4b1fc.jpeg.4f66328deb84bfec86f6be86bddb73c2.jpeg

Spoiler

f5d3339b-3300-44b4-b262-3f81253e97d5_zps4566bf9d.jpeg.472bdc35fab5ccfb6e2225e5e69d5578.jpeg

Spoiler

982830f2-9e4a-4fd3-8cf4-08062f46a74f_zpse589a124.jpeg.395e69c5bf8d2fbd87829afd80415ca4.jpeg

...provided for those more interested in visuals than our verbose text stories (to meet 1940's postal regulations)! :wink:

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Ale was involved!

On 10/24/2023 at 2:12 AM, lou_fine said:

Nice white pages, but as far as I can remember, no keys at all and in fact, no books of any real significance at all.  :frown:

Nontheless if state of paper preservation - and nothing else - is the criteria as per the quote I replied to , then that’s a top pedigree.

Edited by Bronty

On 10/24/2023 at 2:12 PM, lou_fine said:
On 10/24/2023 at 10:54 AM, Bronty said:

Vancouver?

Nice white pages, but as far as I can remember, no keys at all and in fact, no books of any real significance at all.  :frown:

But in terms of how pristine the books are on average, I would take them over just about any other pedigree.  

On 10/24/2023 at 7:37 PM, Bronty said:
On 10/24/2023 at 2:12 PM, lou_fine said:

Nontheless if state of paper preservation - and nothing else - is the criteria as per the quote I replied to , then that’s a top pedigree.

Not just state of paper preservation.  Other pedigrees such as the Salidas and Spokanes have even better preservation.  But the structural quality of the books from those pedigrees are typically not nearly as good as the Vancouvers. 

On 10/24/2023 at 6:32 AM, tth2 said:

Not just state of paper preservation.  Other pedigrees such as the Salidas and Spokanes have even better preservation.  But the structural quality of the books from those pedigrees are typically not nearly as good as the Vancouvers. 

All true, but with a horrid name like that, it offsets all of the other positive attributes of the pedigree and drops it right to the bottom of the list.  :p

Being the stand up type of guy I am, even though some of you might disagree, I am willing to take a hit for the hometown team and begrudingly take them off your hands for full top of guide.  :bigsmile:  :takeit:

On 10/24/2023 at 10:48 AM, MrBedrock said:

Genius! I don't think anyone has done humor like this before!

Why, thank you kind sir..................I do these kinds of posts lots of time to entertain and to alleviate the boredom here, but they are probably deleted before most boardies can read them while I am banished to the CGC sin bin to comtemplate and cleanse my twisted mind of these rather humorous, but such sinful thoughts.  lol

On 10/24/2023 at 6:32 AM, tth2 said:

About 5 to 10 years ago, some local dealers including a LCS dealer that I deal with won some random high grade books at some dinky local auction house.  It included some Classics and some funny animal books.

As he dealt with Heritage for other collectibles, they were consigned to them and due to Heritage's investigation and quality of the books, they felt that they were some missing Vancouver pedigree books and CGC agreed with them.  Apparently, all the numbers were missing from the original batch purchased by Chris Bell back in the day.

The LCS owner said one other crazy bidder went all out for some low demand Westerns so they are still out there.