• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone explain this ComicConnect Auction “coincidence”
5 5

55 posts in this topic

I drunkenly put in a bunch of bids on some books a couple weeks ago on ComicConnect’s current auction. Out of the 8 bids, I lost 1, won 1 $5 dollars under my max bid and the other 6 I won, but at exactly my max bid within the last 3 minutes, which would reset another 3 minutes. 

Am I missing something or did the other 6 books have bidders that happened to bid at the exact bid increment under my max bid, that would have triggered my max bid. It’s not like the price slowly moved upward as bidders participated, it went from way under my max  to exactly max bid on the next bid. 

Seems like a weird coincidence that it happened on almost every book. Have never experienced that ComicLink, Heritage, MCS, etc. 

Edited by mikenyc

On 10/18/2023 at 4:50 PM, mikenyc said:

I drunkenly put in a bunch of bids on some books a couple weeks ago on ComicConnect’s current auction. Out of the 8 bids, I lost 1, won 1 $5 dollars under my max bid and the other 6 I won, but at exactly my max bid within the last 3 minutes, which would reset another 3 minutes. 

Am I missing something or did the other 6 books have bidders that happened to bid at the exact bid increment under my max bid, that would have triggered my max bid. It’s not like the price slowly moved upward as bidders participated, it went from way under my max  to exactly max bid on the next bid. 

Seems like a weird coincidence that it happened on almost every book. Have never experienced that ComicLink, Heritage, MCS, etc. 

PM Sent.

On 10/18/2023 at 4:50 PM, mikenyc said:

It’s not like the price slowly moved upward as bidders participated, it went from way under my max  to exactly max bid on the next bid. 

Consider yourself lucky as whenever I think I put in a max bid, some other know-it-all just keeps biding me up beyond my max bid.  (:

Seriously though, just curious as to what kind of dollar amounts are we talking about here relative to their bidding increments?  hm

On 10/21/2023 at 3:59 AM, Gaard said:

...which I suspect happens quite often at the auction house that I purchase many comics from.

Sounds suspicious to me as well.  But the real trouble is, especially if true, "What are you gonna do about it?!!"  NOTHING.  It's the beast.  

This is basically a trust issue - trust that the auctions run by a site are completely fair. 

I believe it all comes down to who has access to the max bids and whether they are inclined to ever share that info. It would need to be pretty high level access to the system used by the site, so someone either at or near an ownership level for system access or else programmers who maintain the site. Site owners stake their entire business on running fair auctions so I have a hard time wrapping my brain around someone taking risks like that, but of course it takes all kinds to fill a freeway. 

I dont have a horse in this particular race since I dont use CC. There is no doubt in my mind that CL and MCS are completely fair based on my own experience so I stick with what I know and trust. 

On 10/21/2023 at 8:31 AM, alexgross.com said:

this was alleged here by a former cc/metropolis employee there with inside knowledge. important to state that it is simply an allegation.

if you don't know about the np gresham case mentioned by @BEAUMONTS its a depressing read on google. but essentially that was a lawsuit against heritage for precisely this behavior. it was settled privately. 

Yeeesh. That is actually very depressing to read. Anyone who's curious: just google NP Gresham Heritage and it's the first hit.