• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It’s Amazing how many of the San Francisco books have bone white pages.
1 1

9 posts in this topic

On 10/24/2023 at 9:44 AM, Robot Man said:

“White pages” is a misnomer. There really is no such thing. I have worked in the printing industry most of my life. Even fresh rolls of newsprint of the best quality is no better than “off white”.

Newsprint by its nature is the cheapest grade of paper manufactured. Even in its higher grades. In the best grade, it might even have a “blueish” cast.

And, newsprint “yellows” first especially if in bright sunlight. Eventually, tanning and browning with light and heat, humidity. I have seen many books with yellowed pages. 

I have seen books with paper that looks like it came from the mill though. Mile High, Salida, Vancouver come to mind. Off white might be more appropriate.

”Bone White” is simply a selling tool and even bones yellow with time…

I don't think anyone here is under any real illusion about what is 'white'...us proper folk were raised with the OWL card :D 

805290-OWLCard.jpg.8310d73bedf163a517c931d7ba367293.jpg.9cc6362502c9ad45216e746302b4cbed.jpg