• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Season 2 Fall Edition #8 Round 3
8 8

158 posts in this topic

I'm learning on the job here......I didn't know what to think about a ....Detached Centerfold.....it sounded horrible ....so I detracted a lot ......oops....I guess it's not really a big deal if the rest of the book looks good.....well that's why I do these contests....to learn,

On 11/1/2023 at 2:54 PM, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

I'm learning on the job here......I didn't know what to think about a ....Detached Centerfold.....it sounded horrible ....so I detracted a lot ......oops....I guess it's not really a big deal if the rest of the book looks good.....well that's why I do these contests....to learn,

I have been doing these since they started (and have been learning about grading) for 20 years and I still learn and make mistakes lol

• Administrator
On 11/1/2023 at 3:06 PM, comicginger1789 said:

I think the real analytics that need to occur is whether the emoji CGC Mike sends to confirm your grades has any correlation to how poorly you will do. Or how well. I believe there must be a pattern!

There has not been 1 person that has been able to "crack the code" in my brain.  :insane:

:preach:

I got this, this last round, and i interpret it as, "you did better! So much so, where was this in the 1st place? Cause its too late baby, it's too late! Though we really did try to make it :whistle:!!"

Forgot all about the grades would be posted last night.  Halloween in my neighborhood and especially our street is psycho...basically like a rave with parents (a lot in costume) and kids and real party!  Average kids to doors/candy was above 600 by 8pm and things go on until about 9pm and then peter out...everyone's out of candy :insane: (:

And then was super busy with work today and it just dawned on me to check results.  First 3 books I was looking strong with 2 bullseyes and a total of 1 point.  Then went downhill from there with 2 points on the MRA 68 book (had at 5.5) and total fail on the Nature Boy had at 5.5 = 3 points.  ugh.  Still, happy with the 6 as these books are waay outside my wheelhouse.  Accumalitve total 3 rounds 17 points. :headbang:

On 11/1/2023 at 8:31 PM, CGC Mike said:

There has not been 1 person that has been able to "crack the code" in my brain.  :insane:

I don't see how you would have the time to analyze the results as they come in for the purpose of adding custom emojis. 

• Administrator
On 11/1/2023 at 9:17 PM, paqart said:

I don't see how you would have the time to analyze the results as they come in for the purpose of adding custom emojis. 

Everyone's grades are always analyzed to determine the proper emoji.  

On 10/31/2023 at 7:16 PM, TheGeneral said:

Ouch, I think this is one of the worst rounds I’ve ever had. CGC hit the books with detachment/partial detachment issues harder than I thought they would.

That's interesting.  I'm on the other end of the spectrum.  I would think the detached parts would be a HARDER hit.  (shrug)

Gonna send my detached books back in for re-grading.  Guess they won't get 3.5's this time.

On 11/1/2023 at 8:31 PM, CGC Mike said:

On 11/1/2023 at 9:20 PM, CGC Mike said:

Everyone's grades are always analyzed to determine the proper emoji.  

For contrast, I did a lot better in the last one, and these were the emojis:
Round 1: :fourleafclover: : "Good Luck!" (5 pts)

Round 2: hm: "Whoops. Maybe things will get better with the next round" (8 pts)

Round 3: :wishluck:: "Not too horrible, you may squeak through yet" (6 pts)

Round 4: :popcorn:: " This is gonna come down to other people doing badly, but this isn't too horrible." (5 pts)

The real secret to this contest is to recognize individual variability among graders. Strict adherence to CGC guidelines still leaves room for interpretation, and that means grades will be interpreted differently. There is no way around it. Is a grease stain on the back the same deduction as a rip on the front? Graders are comparing apples to oranges and have to make judgment calls. The same goes for us contestants, who don't have the benefit of holding the comics in our hands. On that basis, it occurs to me that a final score of 15 or so is about as good as it will get, short of mutant psychic grading powers.

Yeah I’ve always said 15 is a “perfect” score. Since grading is not an exact science, being within 1 grade of CGC every time is about as good as you can hope for. 

As for Mike’s cryptic emojis, I got excited when I got a rocket in R2 then later saw I scored 2 so he’s definitely sending a message with those. But some, like the can juggler which I also got in my horrific last round, you need to be Alan Turing to figure out