• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Halloween Original Art
2 2

34 posts in this topic

Here's a timely Halloween scene from last year's "Werewolf Jones & Sons Autumnal Grievance Spectacular" (Fantagraphics, 2022) by Simon Hanselmann, my most recent pick up of the Australian-born creator's art (I've been a fan for years now). Megg, Mogg, Owl & Werewolf Jones' sons (Jaxon & Diesel) have a disturbing encounter with a shotgun-toting neighbor before witnessing an even more distressing scene in the form of a pants-less and possibly dead Werewolf Jones lying in the middle of the road behind police tape!

A great Hanselmann page without any oozing orifices, veiny genitalia, lewd sexual acts and/or other depictions that would make it unsuitable for display (always a risk with Hanselmann pages!!)

SimonHanselmannWerewolfJonesandSonsFallFolliesp112023scan.thumb.jpg.7aa1deac4cf0b1537a87dfd0146df9f7.jpg

On 10/30/2023 at 10:03 AM, delekkerste said:

Here's a timely Halloween scene from last year's "Werewolf Jones & Sons Autumnal Grievance Spectacular" (Fantagraphics, 2022) by Simon Hanselmann, my most recent pick up of the Australian-born creator's art (I've been a fan for years now). Megg, Mogg, Owl & Werewolf Jones' sons (Jaxon & Diesel) have a disturbing encounter with a shotgun-toting neighbor before witnessing an even more distressing scene in the form of a pants-less and possibly dead Werewolf Jones lying in the middle of the road behind police tape!

A great Hanselmann page without any oozing orifices, veiny genitalia, lewd sexual acts and/or other depictions that would make it unsuitable for display (always a risk with Hanselmann pages!!)

SimonHanselmannWerewolfJonesandSonsFallFolliesp112023scan.thumb.jpg.7aa1deac4cf0b1537a87dfd0146df9f7.jpg

Nice piece!

As a side note, its interesting to see the different thought processes on the more risque work.    My approach is the opposite; if an artist is known for really risque material (R-rated because of graphic sex or violence) then that's exactly what I want and I'm not worried about whether or not it can be displayed.      If I collected Crumb, I'd want one that exemplifies what he's known for, which probably means somebody's having sex with somebody on the page where I suspect you'd be more comfortable with say an illustration of Mr Natural that you could hang without any hanky panky happening in the illo.    I'm not familiar with this artist, but if graphic is what he's known for, its what I lean into.

I wonder what other people think on that?    I think both perspectives are out there but I wonder where people fall out, on average.   

Edited by Bronty

On 10/30/2023 at 10:03 AM, delekkerste said:

Btw Gene, I feel like I've seen this artist before but I haven't bought any new books in a while?   Does he do other work we might have seen?

On 10/30/2023 at 11:07 AM, Bronty said:

Btw Gene, I feel like I've seen this artist before but I haven't bought any new books in a while?   Does he do other work we might have seen?

No, it's all Megg & Mogg and related characters from the series (like Werewolf Jones). 

On 10/30/2023 at 10:50 AM, Bronty said:

Nice piece!

As a side note, its interesting to see the different thought processes on the more risque work.    My approach is the opposite; if an artist is known for really risque material (R-rated because of graphic sex or violence) then that's exactly what I want and I'm not worried about whether or not it can be displayed.      If I collected Crumb, I'd want one that exemplifies what he's known for, which probably means somebody's having sex with somebody on the page where I suspect you'd be more comfortable with say an illustration of Mr Natural that you could hang without any hanky panky happening in the illo.    I'm not familiar with this artist, but if graphic is what he's known for, its what I lean into.

I wonder what other people think on that?    I think both perspectives are out there but I wonder where people fall out, on average.   

I would say that while you wouldn't want to buy, say, a Serpieri piece that didn't have nudity, there is a wide majority of funny and/or pathos-inducing pages by Hanselmann that don't actually show the most extreme gross-out humor that he is capable of and so I don't think it is in any way settling for less to get a page that doesn't include squirting, penetration, etc. :eek: 

On 10/30/2023 at 10:33 AM, delekkerste said:

No, it's all Megg & Mogg and related characters from the series (like Werewolf Jones). 

I would say that while you wouldn't want to buy, say, a Serpieri piece that didn't have nudity, there is a wide majority of funny and/or pathos-inducing pages by Hanselmann that don't actually show the most extreme gross-out humor that he is capable of and so I don't think it is in any way settling for less to get a page that doesn't include squirting, penetration, etc. :eek: 

I specifically chose a Serpieri page that didn't have nudity. But I wouldn't get one that didn't have Druuna.

image.thumb.jpeg.433bb032144bb6b602f947b5a4465495.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ce0dcb148e119d95c9c056641fc7c7fd.jpeg

Getting back to the horror theme, here's Iko Racho pencils from Tommy Zombie:

image.thumb.jpeg.10149bd3e12197de698196a1f716044a.jpeg

And a Walking Dead scene from art student Rocky OBK.

image.thumb.jpeg.ad4dd896ce79fedf0c257e7d969d75a6.jpeg

On 10/30/2023 at 11:33 AM, delekkerste said:

squirting you say!   I may have to start reading it :insane: