• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You paid what for that?
1 1

213 posts in this topic

On 11/1/2023 at 4:29 AM, Spawnfreak said:

A friend bought a 1966 911S in 1970. The day he had to replace a heater box(ran over something)

for $1500, yes $1500, he sold it. I did get to drive it once, though; it handled like a slot car. Fun, fun, fun!

Because the engine is in the back (not even in the mid section) the car is very tail heavy and in corners, when people try to sly down in a fast curve the tail end inertia causes it to whip around. The car is terrifying at speed but then that's half the fun (trying not to die). lol

On 11/1/2023 at 4:32 AM, Spawnfreak said:

I was a mechanic for 52 years, and about those English cars?-do you know why the English drink warm beer?-wait for it- because their refrigerators were made by LUCAS!:devil:

I worked on British cars for about a decade and never heard this joke before. (worship)

For anyone that doesn't know, Lucas did all of the electrical systems on most British Cars for decades until the 90's they're known as The Prince Of Darkness among insiders because they never worked properly. 

Apt for Hallowe'en. lol

image.jpeg.8aef610df6b32338fa90134846cf9681.jpeg

Edited by VintageComics

On 10/31/2023 at 9:45 PM, VintageComics said:
On 10/31/2023 at 8:35 PM, ttfitz said:

My first boss out of college (so around that time) owned a Porsche.

Although I think it spent as much time in the shop as it did the company parking lot....

Do you know what year it was?

1970's? 1980's?

I might have known at one point in time, but nearly 40 years later, I don't really remember.

On 11/1/2023 at 7:46 AM, davidpg said:

As I post this from the service department at the second largest Jaguar Land Rover dealer in North America....... ;)

With Land Rover, their service departments are like home away from homes.  Great interiors, horrible reliability.  I like how one of my friends who despised them after owning one said he saw his service rep more than he did his children. lol.

On 10/31/2023 at 6:45 PM, VintageComics said:

Do you know what year it was?

1970's? 1980's?

Hide contents

Of all the exotics out there, German ones were always the most reliable.

Italian and English cars were glorious works of art visually, and they were full of character when driven - it was their quirkiness that gave them character, but good God man, sometimes you couldn't even go to the corner store without it breaking down on you. They were NOTORIOUSLY bad. 

Porsches and Benz's on the other hand had pretty good reputation comparatively. Benz's in particular were bulletproof. Remember, Porsches were tuned hard for racing unlike Benz's.

In the 1970's MOST cars were problematic. We didn't have the tech then that we have today so everything had a weird hybrid fuel systems.

At this time, Porsche had a system called "Mechanical Injection" which was basically a high pressure diesel injection system adapted for gasoline.

This is a top down view of the intake and injection system.

image.jpeg.2915d37fc6845ddf625b584bcb46d27c.jpeg

The problem with that system and it was quite complicated to set up, was that it had a ZILLION moving parts. 

The engine was a 6 cylinder, so there were six "intake stacks" - one for each cylinder, and so that meant six throttles, six injectors, six fuel lines and about 15 pieces of mechanical LINKAGES TO TIE IT ALL TOGETHER.

You had one big linkage from your gas pedal to the engine in the back That's the thick bar at the bottom end of the picture above, going across the entire engine) and then a zillion little linkages branching off all over the engine. It literally looked like something out of a 1950's science fiction movie. lol

image.jpeg.aa90bfba13e08d618b4903cb34d20c5a.jpeg

And that central "pump" that pressurized and distributed the fuel to the injectors?

This is what it looked like apart. :eek:

Good luck fixing that without any professional training.

image.jpeg.418305f5ebb3acf8d5eacafc91eb695a.jpeg

This is what a 911 engine with Mechanical injection looks like out of the car.

Front.

image.jpeg.abb9e7e1f998001019a818c8f5991a22.jpeg

Back.

image.thumb.jpeg.6fc5f18e5f7d6d97c4e328d85599c336.jpeg

Because there was so much experience needed to set up those early 70s 911's, they were extremely difficult to get to run properly and most people didn't know how to work on them. But if you knew how to set it up, it was pretty magical.

For the record, I never learned how to set one of those up even after 22 years in the industry. lol

But man, what a sound. 

Back in 79 when I had a 76 Camaro LT 305 3 speed , I followed a Porsche 911 around corners and little straight lines and  went full out to keep up . Something tells me he was just driving and felt a little nat on his back .

Edited by davidking623

On 11/1/2023 at 11:17 PM, Nick Furious said:

I like these guys!   I'll argue with you when I think your wrong, but I would definitely have a drink with you!   

I'd totally have a drink with you even though I'm never wrong. :wink:

On 11/2/2023 at 12:20 AM, VintageComics said:

I'd totally have a drink with you even though I'm never wrong. :wink:

I barely wanna have a drink with you! ;)

This is the last bar we ended up in, and that's Roy's dainty hand squeezing a lemon in the bottom left corner.  Spot was called Le Darling, on St. Laurent boulevard here in montreal.  St Laurent is the east/west dividing road that also traditionally seperated the English (west) and the French (east).  This road has existed since tnhe establishment of Montreal and starts south at thje Old Port, so well over 350 years.  And the traditional party and good time street as well ;)

IMG_2293 (1).jpg

On 11/2/2023 at 11:33 AM, davidpg said:

Wondering how long it would take someone to post that ;)

@VintageComics sould I post the famout mic pic? ;)

You should also tell the story about the OO date stamp history, as well as the little stamp that was on some of your books. 

Cool stories!

On 11/1/2023 at 4:21 PM, Telegan said:

With Land Rover, their service departments are like home away from homes.  Great interiors, horrible reliability.  I like how one of my friends who despised them after owning one said he saw his service rep more than he did his children. lol.

I mightily miss my 2012 Range Rover - but it was (I hate using this term) literally in the shop longer than I owned it. When it finally came out the last time, I drove it 100 miles to the next town and traded it in on a 2020 Suburban. I didn't want to blacklist myself in my own town trading that thing in.

The way it handled, the interior, the cockpit, the ride, the horsepower (I had a 500HP supercharged Autobiography) - I still dream of driving it. It was a wonderful machine 5% of the time, but with no dealers and one place to have it serviced within 400 miles - it just wasn't meant to be, and never will again. Such beautiful vehicles, but absolute craptastic in practically every other area of manufacture.

On 11/2/2023 at 12:04 PM, Dr. Balls said:

(I had a 500HP supercharged Autobiography)

Dave calls me on the phone every time he takes one of these home from the shop. lol

On 11/2/2023 at 10:06 AM, VintageComics said:

Dave calls me on the phone every time he takes one of these home from the shop. lol

I've owned a few fast cars in my life, but that thing was something else. My Challenger and Mustang were really squirrelly when you laid into it, the Rover was a lot more balanced, despite it being an SUV. It was always a fun drive - when it was running.

On 11/2/2023 at 12:15 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I've owned a few fast cars in my life, but that thing was something else. My Challenger and Mustang were really squirrelly when you laid into it, the Rover was a lot more balanced, despite it being an SUV. It was always a fun drive - when it was running.

American cars give you a lot of power with their American muscle, but the chassis is not as refined to put that power down to the ground effectively because refinement and engineer cost lots of $ and that's not the target audience. 

People always complain about how expensive European cars are to buy, but there's a reason. You are paying for the engineering that makes it feel like a quality product and a lot of that engineering is a trickle down from racing. 

The English are famous for having great rides and handling (Colin Chapman from Lotus was considered a genius, as well as Jaguar and Rolls all had incredible handling and rides).

On 11/2/2023 at 10:19 AM, VintageComics said:

The English are famous for having great rides and handling (Colin Chapman from Lotus was considered a genius, as well as Jaguar and Rolls all had incredible handling and rides).

... and leaking oil. 

But you're absolutely right about American car handling.  I've driven most of the sports car models from US manufacturers and it's awful.  I haven't gotten into a C8 yet, but I hear there's some understeer although the rest of it is pretty top notch.  

On 11/2/2023 at 2:07 PM, buttock said:

... and leaking oil. 

Oh yeah. 

Rolls actually had a hydraulic system that was "designed to leak a little" lol

They used aerospace technology to create an ultra high pressure pump that pumped 1000s of lbs of pressure and they put a pan under it to catch leaks. 

Wiping the pan down was a part of the service. doh!

On 11/2/2023 at 2:07 PM, buttock said:

But you're absolutely right about American car handling.  I've driven most of the sports car models from US manufacturers and it's awful.  I haven't gotten into a C8 yet, but I hear there's some understeer although the rest of it is pretty top notch.  

I just can't get excited about American autos. They're just not what they used to be, although I can't really comment on the new C8 as I don't have any experience with it but I did comment that it looked cool when it came out and that moving the engine to the mid section was inevitable if they wanted to stay competitive. It's just physics. You can't have a heavy weight all the way at the front and still be competitive with a balanced, mid engine car. 

On 11/2/2023 at 1:46 PM, Tbone911t said:

Had a 1972 911t which had been imported to Canada from Germany. Gemini blue with a houndstooth interior. Man I loved that car.

Bought it in 1992 for 15k. Was forced to sell in 2013 unfortunately, I did get 55k for it though....... 

Yup. 

You know, you just brought up an INCREDIBLE point. 

Which comic would you have bought back in 2013 for $55K?

And what would it be worth now? 

What would that 911t be worth now? Did that asset outstrip the AF #15 in 7.5 or fall behind? :whatthe:

image.thumb.png.3580bd7e2c37c82dcf88604b3c1ff549.png

On 11/2/2023 at 1:46 PM, Tbone911t said:

Had a 1972 911t which had been imported to Canada from Germany. Gemini blue with a houndstooth interior. Man I loved that car.

Bought it in 1992 for 15k. Was forced to sell in 2013 unfortunately, I did get 55k for it though....... 

You had 911 posts whenb you posted this!!

image.png.9aa8c574c419835b70d598caa98195e6.png

On 11/2/2023 at 5:04 PM, davidpg said:

You had 911 posts whenb you posted this!!

image.png.9aa8c574c419835b70d598caa98195e6.png

Wait. @Tbone911t

Where in Canada are you? Daves in Montreal and I'm near Toronto!

On 11/2/2023 at 9:04 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I mightily miss my 2012 Range Rover - but it was (I hate using this term) literally in the shop longer than I owned it. When it finally came out the last time, I drove it 100 miles to the next town and traded it in on a 2020 Suburban. I didn't want to blacklist myself in my own town trading that thing in.

The way it handled, the interior, the cockpit, the ride, the horsepower (I had a 500HP supercharged Autobiography) - I still dream of driving it. It was a wonderful machine 5% of the time, but with no dealers and one place to have it serviced within 400 miles - it just wasn't meant to be, and never will again. Such beautiful vehicles, but absolute craptastic in practically every other area of manufacture.

Like English motorcycles. I have owned vintage Triumph, BSA and Nortons. Every one leaked oil no matter how many gaskets I replaced. And Lucas hand wiring. Seems like every time I went over a bump, the soder would pop. Love them but no more…