• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You paid what for that?
1 1

213 posts in this topic

On 11/3/2023 at 2:55 PM, Tbone911t said:

Just outside of Halifax. 

I picked up a raw AF #15 there once! Flew out from Toronto for it on St. Patrick's Day no less!

What a pretty, pretty town.

On 10/30/2023 at 12:29 PM, FlyingDonut said:

I have a 1981 first edition Galaga machine in my basement - it needs to be fixed up but it (mostly) works. I was at one point ranked in the top-20 in the world on Galaga. I'm pretty sure the talent pool was about 25 people at the time, so that probably explains it. I did very much impress my children at a beach trip about 10 years ago by playing for six hours on a single quarter on an old school Galaga machine at the beach in North Carolina.

I would pay a great deal of money for a working Track and Field game - they're almost all broken now. I'd also love to get a Zaxxon game - there's a working one in a comic store in Rheinbeck, New York but I haven't seen another working one in years.

I have a nice Zaxxon in my basement arcade.  One of my favorites from the golden age of arcade games.  The 3D perspective was so cool and unique at the time in the early 80s.  Those crazy airplane waves in space are still my downfall.

On 10/30/2023 at 12:46 PM, davidpg said:

Avid arcard player here as well, starting in the early 80s.  We played Track and Field a lot, and guys started using spray paint caps on their fingers to get maximum running speed hitting the two buttons ;)

There was also a trick to use a pen or pencil between the fingers to rapidly hit both buttons with minimal effort.  I saw some massive scores achieved that way.  As a kid, I never could figure out the technique.

On 11/5/2023 at 8:58 PM, mrlatko said:

I have a nice Zaxxon in my basement arcade.  One of my favorites from the golden age of arcade games.  The 3D perspective was so cool and unique at the time in the early 80s.  Those crazy airplane waves in space are still my downfall.

A real one? That's awesome.

On 11/2/2023 at 9:19 AM, VintageComics said:

American cars give you a lot of power with their American muscle, but the chassis is not as refined to put that power down to the ground effectively because refinement and engineer cost lots of $ and that's not the target audience. 

People always complain about how expensive European cars are to buy, but there's a reason. You are paying for the engineering that makes it feel like a quality product and a lot of that engineering is a trickle down from racing. 

The English are famous for having great rides and handling (Colin Chapman from Lotus was considered a genius, as well as Jaguar and Rolls all had incredible handling and rides).

My son bought a Nissan 200SX when he was about 17, and I bought it from him when he moved on to a different vehicle - I think it was a 5-speed...., maybe 1996?, that if you nursed it, got 50 MPG. But holy carp, what a sportscar! :yeehaw: He ended up rolling it after I bought it from him (he's wrecked four of our cars - not his, ours). That is one of the few cars I really want back. BAD.

On 11/4/2023 at 7:05 AM, Nick Furious said:

Is it because of Scurvy?  I heard that lemons are good for Scurvy.  Is Roy a pirate, by chance?  

We have a pirate on our team?

On 11/6/2023 at 12:16 AM, lizards2 said:
On 11/4/2023 at 10:05 AM, Nick Furious said:

Is it because of Scurvy?  I heard that lemons are good for Scurvy.  Is Roy a pirate, by chance?  

We have a pirate on our team?

So, a little voice inside my head told me to pack this just as I was leaving for Collector's Summit. True story.

Now I know why. 

image.thumb.jpeg.78545a4049830b1cc08912e2abc52077.jpeg

On 11/5/2023 at 9:16 PM, lizards2 said:

My son bought a Nissan 200SX when he was about 17, and I bought it from him when he moved on to a different vehicle - I think it was a 5-speed...., maybe 1996?, that if you nursed it, got 50 MPG. But holy carp, what a sportscar! :yeehaw: He ended up rolling it after I bought it from him (he's wrecked four of our cars - not his, ours). That is one of the few cars I really want back. BAD.

Really? 4 of YOUR cars? He would be walking after the second one in my crib or homeless…

My daughter totaled her boyfriend’s Z-28 street racing and piled up her heavily modified Mini Cooper on the freeway. Fortunately, walked away from both of them. She now drives a Boss 302 but has gotton older and wiser and learned her lesson. The only time she has driven my Camaro is when I’m in the passenger seat…

Edited by Robot Man

On 11/6/2023 at 8:35 AM, Robot Man said:

Really? 4 of YOUR cars? He would be walking after the second one in my crib or homeless…

My daughter totaled her boyfriend’s Z-28 street racing and piled up her heavily modified Mini Cooper on the freeway. Fortunately, walked away from both of them. She now drives a Boss 302 but has gotton older and wiser and learned her lesson. The only time she has driven my Camaro is when I’m in the passenger seat…

Yeah - rolled the Nissan, and Chevy Trailblazer (the big extended version), and thankfully walked away from both. Then he ran into my Dodge Ram with my Toyota Tercel. He also took the Dodge down to the Sheldon Wildlife Refuge, and broke a bunch of stuff on it, and f-d up a lot of the wiring. He's far away on an island on the panhandle of Alaska now, where he can hopefully not do much more damage.

On 11/5/2023 at 6:01 PM, mrlatko said:

There was also a trick to use a pen or pencil between the fingers to rapidly hit both buttons with minimal effort.  I saw some massive scores achieved that way.  As a kid, I never could figure out the technique.

Being the 80s, the cool kids always carried a fat comb in their back pocket and I had a friend who could use that comb, between his fingers as described, to hit those buttons with blinding speed! :ohnoez:

Can’t say I was never young and stupid.

When I was a senior in high school, I rolled my ‘62 21 window VW bus at 2:30 in the morning in the rain on the Pasadena Freeway. It is a short, very old and windy 3 lane freeway. Just turned too fast.

I was with 3 buddies and very stoned. I remember crawling out the smashed front window and hearing “Give me Shelter” blaring out of the 8 track.

Luckily, none of us were hurt so we quickly jumped out and flipped it back on it’s wheels and made it home somehow.

My dad about killed me and I didn’t drive anything for about a year. 

On 11/6/2023 at 2:00 AM, VintageComics said:

So, a little voice inside my head told me to pack this just as I was leaving for Collector's Summit. True story.

Now I know why. 

image.thumb.jpeg.78545a4049830b1cc08912e2abc52077.jpeg

Roy, are you and Arlo Guthrie related?

Untitled-1.jpg

On 11/7/2023 at 7:31 PM, mrlatko said:

Yes, as real as they come. (thumbsu

PXL_20231108_012837142.jpg

Killer Instinct! That's definitely in my top 3 arcade cabinets I'd like to own. Several years ago I had an old repurposed cabinet retrofitted with a KI board. I ended up taking the board/hard drive out and selling it on ebay and scrapped the cabinet. Wish I had that board back now; those things are expensive and I'd love to build that cabinet as a side project. 

On 11/7/2023 at 3:18 PM, toro said:

Roy, are you and Arlo Guthrie related?

Untitled-1.jpg

I literally have had people stop me to ask me that. 

That's way better than the Weird Al comments I get from time to time. doh!

On 11/9/2023 at 6:19 AM, VintageComics said:

I literally have had people stop me to ask me that. 

That's way better than the Weird Al comments I get from time to time. doh!

I always thought the hairstyle was more Kirk Hammett’s from Metallica.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/9/2023 at 1:35 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I always thought the hairstyle was more Kirk Hammett’s from Metallica.

I get a lot of that but if you really look closely, I look nothing like him. It's flattering but I don't see it.