• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You paid what for that?
1 1

213 posts in this topic

On 10/30/2023 at 1:37 PM, FlyingDonut said:

Track and Field:

track.jpg

Avid arcard player here as well, starting in the early 80s.  We played Track and Field a lot, and guys started using spray paint caps on their fingers to get maximum running speed hitting the two buttons ;)

On 10/29/2023 at 11:48 PM, JollyComics said:

I played for 4.5 hours on one quarter and got 477,300 points on Asteroids.

I did that once on the same game. I got hemorrhoids.  

On 10/30/2023 at 5:58 AM, namisgr said:

And 20 cents apiece for these comics:

ASM121front.thumb.jpg.2b561e5deedf05bd7a679dbc17c1422c.jpg    

I remember that book. 

CGC said it was trimmed but you'd bought it off the newsstand originally. 

70's Marvels QP was ATROCIOUS and I've seen many books that looked 'trimmed' but weren't.

Iron Man #55 is a big one. The back cover on that book always has a weird edge and it looks like someone has trimmed the book when it's from the publisher that way. 

On 10/30/2023 at 5:10 AM, Ken Aldred said:

You paid how much for the first appearance of Crackerjack Jackson?

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has it burned into my memory that Overstreet noted Hulk 182 as first appearance of Crackerjack Jackson.  But for some reason I remember it as Crackajack.  I also remember 182 being paired with 180 as having the same value back in the day.   

On 10/30/2023 at 12:30 AM, davidking623 said:

I just played a Pac Man at Costco like 6 or 7 times getting killed every time it felt like the original and stood just as tall as I remember . They wanted around 600 for it and when I went back a few days later they were all gone , I was surprised . Not that I was buying it ,just surprised they were all gone . Now i am gonna go search Ebay did I miss out on the new flip . :roflmao:

If it's the one I'm thinking about, that arcade has about 10-15 games on it including PacMan, Galaga, Galaxian, Dig Dug, etc.  You can get smaller versions of it for $199-$299.  Walmart sells the $299 version, I think.  I had a co-worker who used to build those arcades and run them using a Raspberry Pi/emulator, from what I recall.  I don't know the legalities of that, though.  I've seen you can play them on various websites, but ... ain't the same. lol

On 10/30/2023 at 9:55 PM, Telegan said:

If it's the one I'm thinking about, that arcade has about 10-15 games on it including PacMan, Galaga, Galaxian, Dig Dug, etc.  You can get smaller versions of it for $199-$299.  Walmart sells the $299 version, I think.  I had a co-worker who used to build those arcades and run them using a Raspberry Pi/emulator, from what I recall.  I don't know the legalities of that, though.  I've seen you can play them on various websites, but ... ain't the same. lol

I don't know 100% for sure it seems like it was basically geared as a pacman machine it was stout , tall and but not the same as the ones that came out as video games , but it did not seem to have other games on it although I was not looking for sure . Of course I can't go see it they were all gone so next time I go I will dig a little deeper to see if they were moved possibly . I really suck at Pac Man so spending 700 on it was not justified for me , although It seemed worth it if you really like that game and are good at it , maybe .

On 10/31/2023 at 12:02 AM, davidking623 said:

I don't know 100% for sure it seems like it was basically geared as a pacman machine it was stout , tall and but not the same as the ones that came out as video games , but it did not seem to have other games on it although I was not looking for sure . Of course I can't go see it they were all gone so next time I go I will dig a little deeper to see if they were moved possibly . I really suck at Pac Man so spending 700 on it was not justified for me , although It seemed worth it if you really like that game and are good at it , maybe .

I had to look it up, but yeah, this is the company that makes them : https://arcade1up.com/.  I'm guessing you played the PacMan XL version.  If so, that's what I have bookmarked at Costco.  lol.  They have different variants and they seem to have multiple games on them even though it just says "Pac-Man" on them, so I know I'd have the ability to suck at all of them (but think of the quarters I'd "save"!). lol.  I was tempted to get one a while back, but decided not to.  I really should delete that bookmark. :D

On 10/30/2023 at 2:32 AM, namisgr said:

I paid 25 cents each in 1974 for these comics, part of over a thousand books bought off the rack between 1972 and '76.

Hulk180.jpg.72d360fe032d1d9e2f18be74bff9d728.jpg    Hulk181front.thumb.jpg.b756eac0bc1343c54da47dc590742dbc.jpg   Hulk182.jpg.7217372da4743d3a2aa99826104792df.jpg

On 10/30/2023 at 2:58 AM, namisgr said:

MSpotlight5front.thumb.jpg.c92a89cfd44c78bcf8c34edf2f8d89a4.jpg   ASM121front.thumb.jpg.2b561e5deedf05bd7a679dbc17c1422c.jpg    ASM129(1).jpg.a07e71fd85fbbcfa99e1a09a40a5b41e.jpg

Don't you absolutely hate it when the cost to get a book graded and slabbed is infinite times more than it had cost you to buy it in the first place, and the reason why most of the longer time collectors still keeps them raw until it comes time to sell them.  :mad:  lol

Then again, I guess it's not really such a bad thing since it's an indication you got yourself a steal of a deal compared to the current market prices, which you clearly did with all of your books by keeping them in such fantastic condition after all these long years.  :applause:  :whee:

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/31/2023 at 3:24 AM, Nick Furious said:

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has it burned into my memory that Overstreet noted Hulk 182 as first appearance of Crackerjack Jackson.  But for some reason I remember it as Crackajack.  I also remember 182 being paired with 180 as having the same value back in the day.   

I was working from memory.

Googled it just now and you’re right.

On 10/30/2023 at 10:09 PM, Telegan said:

I had to look it up, but yeah, this is the company that makes them : https://arcade1up.com/.  I'm guessing you played the PacMan XL version.  If so, that's what I have bookmarked at Costco.  lol.  They have different variants and they seem to have multiple games on them even though it just says "Pac-Man" on them, so I know I'd have the ability to suck at all of them (but think of the quarters I'd "save"!). lol.  I was tempted to get one a while back, but decided not to.  I really should delete that bookmark. :D

Thanks for the insight ! I wish I had looked at it better for fun . I can hardly wait to go to see if its any where in the store lol  Out of curisity I see it has Galaga on it , I have never played that I think . Does the controls on it seem similar to the orginal game ? Thanks in advance oh and its cheaper on costco website :insane:

On 10/30/2023 at 2:58 AM, namisgr said:

MSpotlight5front.thumb.jpg.c92a89cfd44c78bcf8c34edf2f8d89a4.jpg   ASM121front.thumb.jpg.2b561e5deedf05bd7a679dbc17c1422c.jpg    ASM129(1).jpg.a07e71fd85fbbcfa99e1a09a40a5b41e.jpg

Me too. As well as most of the other keys of that era. Still have most of them. Oddly, they really aren’t that important to me anymore other than the obviously financial gain I will get when I do sell them.

When I was about 12 my dad took me down to Hollywood while he had some business. He gave me $5. And dropped me off at Cherokee Bookstore. I was kind of collecting comics but really looking to get every MAD magazine. I had never paid any more than cover price for any of them.

While walking up the staircase in the back where the comics were, I saw a MAD #9 tacked up on the wall in a plastic bag. I was floored as I had never seen one that old and had no idea MAD started out as a comic book. It was priced at $3. I was shocked. But I HAD to have it. I went up and spent the other $2. On basically cover priced MADs and comics.

When my dad picked me up, he asked what I bought and I showed him. He blew a gasket on the MAD 9. I thought he was going to go up and demand the money back. All the way home is grumbled and said “you paid that much for that?”.

This was a turning point for me. From that point on, I was no longer just a reader but a collector and realized if I wanted vintage comics, I would have to pay up for them.

And, Roy, hope you are in a much better place in life now…

On 10/31/2023 at 3:14 PM, Robot Man said:

When my dad picked me up, he asked what I bought and I showed him. He blew a gasket on the MAD 9. I thought he was going to go up and demand the money back. All the way home is grumbled and said “you paid that much for that?”.

This was a turning point for me. From that point on, I was no longer just a reader but a collector and realized if I wanted vintage comics, I would have to pay up for them

I never discussed how much my American ND import cent copies or vintage back issues cost, as I knew it’d cause a meltdown, and dad could be quite ferocious and intimidating in a disagreement.  Better not to cause a scene.  That said, I really didn’t have that much to spend, anyway. I struggled.  But, even if a comic had cost £2, cover price at the time being 12p, I suspect a berserker response would have been provoked.

Edited by Ken Aldred