• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Framing Suggestions

15 posts in this topic

Hello All,

Recently purchased the attached OA. Asm 8, page 2, first appearance of odessa drake.

Looking for framing suggestions. Do you all put the published page next to the OA in a frame? Would love to see some examples.

Thanks.

Screenshot_20231023_193748_eBay.jpg

On 11/2/2023 at 4:26 PM, RBerman said:

I find that whenever I see the published page next to the original art, the color takes my eye away from the OA. For a black and white piece, a black frame and black or grey matte seem safest. For color pieces, i use a white matte with an inner accent color the complements the piece.

image.thumb.jpeg.36ae26386c4d39419fdfd6c00423798f.jpeg

what he said

seriously, do not try to "make it better" to look at by using a fancy matte or combining with the page. match white matte to background of the piece and black frame. I use a slightly larger bottom margin to pull the eye down (it works). Let the art shine on its own and let the eye wander around the art as designed by the artist...do not compete with the image

Not a fan of putting the published page next to the art. As mentioned, it draw the eye away from the art. Sometimes, the coloring did the art no favors. And in the newsprint era, the page just looks kinda dirty next to white Bristol. Also don't care for colored matte. Again, let the art be the art. The frame should be simple elegant and unobtrusive. I will say, I like frame jobs that let the notes, toplines, and blue-printed board instructions appear.

Fortunately, there are no rules and you can do whatever suits you.

Didn't think about putting a white matte with it. It's a pretty good idea. Was originally thinking it would be black or dark blue. 

I kinda like the idea of the published page being next to it but I also think it would make the frame rather large. 

I think it depends on where you want to display it and if it’s a focal piece for the area on the wall.

If it’s a singular piece going in an area where it won’t be crowded with other art - making the frame as large as possible with matting and the published page will probably look pretty good.

If you’re framing it as part of a future display of other pieces, you may want to think about a standard framing design, so future pieces don’t look inconsistent when placed near each other.

All great tips here.  You are going to get as many opinions as there are collectors.  Personally , I think it comes down to hope many pieces you want to display, where, and what appeals to you in terms of a display.  I always liked the way that the paintings were displayed at the Isabelle Gardner Stewart Museum in Boston.  It'm more of a home setting than a traditional museum setting.  I think the variety of frames, shapes , and sizes adds to the display and the art.

image.png.1cfc040bd798f45972dc5eca8d227f54.png

On 11/3/2023 at 6:19 AM, RBerman said:

One caution is that the older the page, the more toned it will be. A "true white" matte will make the paper seem more brown. Your framer can match the tone of the paper with an appropriately off-white matte. And of course museum glass to prevent further browning from ambient light. Here's an example from my wall, with a slip of white paper in the bottom left corner as a color comparison. The vertical stripe of white along the right is just a reflection from a nearby window.

image.thumb.jpeg.58ff690f2c9b392506bcf0813a167aa8.jpeg

I know this frame, have used it for dozens of pieces. If Michael's ever gets rid of it I am toast :)