• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Insuring books that are shipped TO CGC. Who? How?
4 4

35 posts in this topic

I am trying to insure a box I intend on shipping to CGC with $40,000 worth of books in it. I called CGC and they suggested these options. 
https://hwinternational.com/us/
https://shipandinsure.com/
https://us.brinks.com/
https://www.malca-amit.com/

I tried calling some, and the one I got through to was Shipandinsure.com, who told me that I had to first join the North American Collectibles Association. I've never heard of them, don't know what they are. The woman I spoke with, Elaine, was nice enough, but I didn't quite understand the fine details of the hoops I had to jump through. First of all, I had to give detailed information about three "Trade references", not sure what that means. Then I had to pay a member ship fee to join, which I began doing, but the final page wanted me to enter a card number for a fee THAT IT DIDN'T EVEN SHOW THE AMOUNT OF, as seen in the image. That was a deal breaker. Maybe I just don't have enough knowledge to be anything but skeptical and suspicious at this point. 

How do people get high dollar, let's say $10,000 and up, comics delivered to CGC with insurance? 

screenshot-www.nacacollectors.com-2023.11.02-17_09_16.png

Edited by AmbassadorSlip

On 11/2/2023 at 5:16 PM, AmbassadorSlip said:

NO, I don't live in Florida. I can break the shipment up, but one book alone is $14,000, I live in Santa Fe, NM where CGC never comes, and I need this book graded. 

That’s definitely too far a drive to Sarasota.  If you were a lot closer, I would recommend driving there and dropping them off in person.

Good luck to you.  I hope someone here can help out. 👍🙂

On 11/2/2023 at 6:05 PM, Superman2006 said:

Per Topnotchman's post above, USPS registered mail has a high insurance value limit, and I believe the insurance cost for registered mail is a lot cheaper than the insurance cost for other USPS shipping options. I'm not sure why CGC rep wouldn't have suggested USPS registered to you.

I am thinking this is the best option. My only hesitation is that I've heard that USPS is very difficult to deal with when it comes to claims. Which I hope would not be necessary. I've got four orders in this box and I've decided to break them up and ship each one separately. 

On 11/2/2023 at 7:28 PM, AmbassadorSlip said:

I'm trying to find information on this company now, and this came up. https://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/shipandinsure.com

There's no positive or negative reviews.  There are no reviews. 

On 11/2/2023 at 8:16 PM, AmbassadorSlip said:
On 11/2/2023 at 8:05 PM, Superman2006 said:

Per Topnotchman's post above, USPS registered mail has a high insurance value limit, and I believe the insurance cost for registered mail is a lot cheaper than the insurance cost for other USPS shipping options. I'm not sure why CGC rep wouldn't have suggested USPS registered to you.

I am thinking this is the best option. My only hesitation is that I've heard that USPS is very difficult to deal with when it comes to claims. Which I hope would not be necessary. I've got four orders in this box and I've decided to break them up and ship each one separately. 

Good luck!

I'm not sure if you can fill everything out online for Registered mail, or if you need to go to the post office to do all that, but for what it's worth, I found a USPS calculator that can give you an idea of the cost;

https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculator/

As an example, plugging in some random area codes, going through various screens, etc., it looks like it came up with a registered / insured mailing cost of $114.20 + usual priority mail shipping cost based on a single package with $40K value.

I would send it Registered, insured, signature with electronic receipt. I would also get collector insurance at Collectinsure.com. Get enough coverage to include your entire collection. The rates are reasonable, and paid annually, not per shipment. 

When I ship $3-$4k worth of slabs to MyComicShop for consignment, Registered is what I use. I am also insured by Collectibles Insurance Services, but I feel better with both, since I have never filed a claim with CIS.

The postal clerk tells me I don't need the signature confirmation, as it is included with Registered. They're trying to be helpful. I thank them, but I disregard that suggestion, and pay the $4, or whatever the amount is, might be $7. I notice that you get more detailed online info, such as the name of the person who signed, instead of just that it was signed. Sometimes you need that more specific info for a claim.

CIS insures your books in your possesion, on their way to you, and on their way from you. there are certain signature requirements depending on book value and carrier but they insure them both ways. i have had my policy for several years now. i've never made a claim but some boardies have stated that they have received payment when they made a loss claim.  website is www.collectinsure.com and no i dont work for them. 

On 11/2/2023 at 6:27 PM, alexgross.com said:

CIS insures your books in your possesion, on their way to you, and on their way from you. there are certain signature requirements depending on book value and carrier but they insure them both ways. i have had my policy for several years now. i've never made a claim but some boardies have stated that they have received payment when they made a loss claim.  website is www.collectinsure.com and no i dont work for them. 

+1

USPS Registered supposedly won't lose the box, but good luck collecting 40K if the box gets crushed.  I think chances are higher that Santa drops by your house this Xmas with replacement books.

CIS is an insurance company.  It's what they do, and have for many years, covering many different collectibles.  You'll have to take out riders on some of those books, and if something happens provide some comps for value maybe - but you'll get your check.

I've read all the advice and I decided to go with three smaller boxes, the first of which is going to just get basic priority shipping insurance, the other two I will have to go to the USPS office and pay for registered mail to get the higher insurance value because pirate ship will only sell me a label with up to $5000 in insurance. 

As far as insuring my whole collection, I don't have that much left, I've been trading up as it were, and the books I have for reading, such as my CrossGen collection, are just not high value. But, I'll think about it. My high dollar books are in a safe deposit box at my bank. 

I'll check back tomorrow and let you know how USPS went. 

On 11/3/2023 at 12:11 AM, shadroch said:

Get a price on the insurance and compare that to the cost of flying to a show where CGC will be. 

I have never, and will never, fly to a convention. I've never actually been to any large size comic convention, I couldn't care less about that part of the hobby and I would never even consider flying to a place just to have CGC do anything to my comics. I know that's something many people accept as part of the hobby, but I don't. I'm also one of those strange people who doesn't like anyone, not even people involved in the creation of a comic, write or draw on my books. So all that standing in line for hours stuff is lost on me. I don't do the whole celebrity worship thing. 

Edited by AmbassadorSlip

On 11/3/2023 at 1:11 AM, AmbassadorSlip said:

I have never, and will never, fly to a convention. I've never actually been to any large size comic convention, I couldn't care less about that part of the hobby and I would never even consider flying to a place just to have CGC do anything to my comics. I know that's something many people accept as part of the hobby, but I don't. I'm also one of those strange people who doesn't like anyone, not even people involved in the creation of a comic, write or draw on my books. So all that standing in line for hours stuff is lost on me. I don't do the whole celebrity worship thing. 

IMG_0151.jpeg