• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
24 24

1,357 posts in this topic

On 3/6/2024 at 10:45 PM, KCOComics said:

I don't have a problem with CGCs response. They were just stating Hero's status with CGC. 

And look,  back in 2022 most of us had no idea people had been waiting years for their comics.

I thought Hero had a great reputation.  

No, at the time I didn't either.  Hindsight is a bi*ch.  

Edited by GaryHanson

In HR's history, it may be that those folks who received their comic books back in a "timely" manner are few and far between. Where such instances done "honestly"; that is, the comic books received the complete service that was paid for in a reasonable time period; or as a way to encourage them to perhaps submit more expensive comic books? I, naturally, do not know the answer.

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe
Typo: "Where" to "Were".

On 3/7/2024 at 8:11 AM, KCOComics said:

I honestly think it was less nefarious than that. I think he had every intention of doing the work asked of him. 

I think he was disorganized, a poor business person and gave himself no margin for error. So when errors came,  he collapsed.

And the collapse was complete and total. Personal and professional. 

And none of this is an excuse for him. He stole money from hundreds of people. Hundreds of thousands of dollars. That's inexcusable. He should go to jail. He sold people's comics. He should go to jail. I don't believe anything he's said. The first robbery, the second robbery, the heart attack and covid... maybe it's true. Maybe parts are true. But he's given us no reason to believe him and I simply don't believe any of it. 

I agree, thus why I wrote "may be". etc., and, as you note, what has occurred since has eradicated any good that may have been intended.

On 3/7/2024 at 8:11 AM, KCOComics said:

I honestly think it was less nefarious than that. I think he had every intention of doing the work asked of him. 

I think he was disorganized, a poor business person and gave himself no margin for error. So when errors came,  he collapsed.

And the collapse was complete and total. Personal and professional. 

I believe this is likely the case. Folks have to bear in mind that the vast majority of HR business was run-of-the-mill clean and press. Many (including myself) used his C&P service with no problems. This is how he built a good reputation.

For the complex restoration he was obviously in way over his head. That was the ticking time bomb.  

Hi all:

My name is Randy Hampton. 

This will be my final post here as we are preparing to move forward with legal action and put this entire situation to rest.

If you are stil out books and money,  you can email me at cantina201@gmail.com. 

Others here have already joined and participated in our zoom call.

We have other avenues to pursue beyond just Mike.  So join us now.

Thanks

On 3/7/2024 at 11:47 AM, flchris said:

Why is there a user named "Cantina201" that's separate from a "Flake Tapper" whose gmail address is "cantina201"? "Flake" even defends "Cantina201" as if separate in this thread (on page 47).

This should be good.....

200w (2).gif

Why is there a user named "Cantina201" that's separate from a "Flake Tapper" whose gmail address is "cantina201"? "Flake" even defends "Cantina201" as if separate in this thread (on page 47). (Cantina started this thread btw fwiw)

Oooh, great catch! That deserves some :popcorn::popcorn:

Why is there a user named "Cantina201" that's separate from a "Flake Tapper" whose gmail address is "cantina201"? "Flake" even defends "Cantina201" as if separate in this thread (on page 47). (Cantina started this thread btw fwiw)

Possibly someone made what we used to call a "Page 8" mistake in the gaming community. What I mean is that he maybe thought he was logged in on the other account instead of the one he posted from.

Many years ago, when I used to play some online games. There was a time when someone had cheated someone else out of some good gear if I remember correctly. Well anyways, there were, what we thought, two guys arguing back and forth. Kind of a good cop bad cop thing. On the eighth page of the forum's posts the guy forgot which account he was on and replied using the wrong one. All of a sudden the guy giving the cheater the most grief, turned out to be the same person using two different logins. I cannot remember if it was EQ, WOW, or another online game's forum. The fallout from that forum was all over the news in the gaming forums back then. The cheater would have his pristine main character, and another he would use to swindle people, so if the bad one got caught and banned, the other one would be insulated from that one.

Edited by ThreeSeas

I thought it was very odd that Catina201 and Flake were pushing for these video chats... and then complimenting one another. 

On 3/2/2024 at 6:48 PM, Domo Arigato said:

joke.jpg.49b328e8c73d94e22eb33ba088514ad2.jpg

On 3/7/2024 at 8:47 AM, flchris said:

Sounds like you need to add another picture with Cantina201 in a bozo wig.

On 3/6/2024 at 8:48 PM, GaryHanson said:

No, at the time I didn't either.  Hindsight is a bi*ch.  

And that's the sad part about all this Gary.  Heroes was considered to be a skilled and trusted restoration expert and now we're learning that while he may be skilled he can't be trusted and isn't good at running a business.  And sadly, in this hobby there are very few people doing this work.  Other than Kenny are there any relatively young comic restoration experts out there?

On 3/7/2024 at 12:57 PM, Number 6 said:

Sounds like you need to add another picture with Cantina201 in a bozo wig.

I can confirm that Cantina201 / and Flake Tapper (Randy) are associated, but not the same person.  I met with 1/2 of them face to face via Zoom - and its definitely not Mike - and I don't think a Mike plant.  I mean, at this point, what does Mike have to gain? I'm sure he's busy battling all of his other problems right now. My impression of Cantina201 is that he's just another concerned collector who got burned by Mike (like many of us did) and is trying to pick up where Sauce Dog left off pursuing whatever kind of legal justice he can. 

I only loosely followed these CGC boards so I knew something was up with HR, but he (Mike D.) was asking people to give him the benefit of the doubt - so I did.  I've DM'd several of you after realizing my book was Stolen / sold by Mike on ebay and everyone's been great!  So I'm out $3000 worth of property (was CGC signature series 8.5 before Mike cracked it out).  What bothers me more is that so many people got burned, feel that there is no justice in this (laugh if you will) and are not sure what to do, who to talk to, or if they have any options at all.  Additionally if a customer of HR who doesn't follow these boards were to try to track down their missing books, all of the HR websites, phones and email addresses are gone or disconnected - basically Mike was able to disappear without a trace (unless you follow these boards closely).

So with that being said.  *I guess I need no introduction*  I (Gary Hanson) am putting together a website that is similar enough to Mike's that hopefully people or as some put it, "Victims" will find and contact me. 

I don't have any answers, just questions.

• I'd like to know the scope of the problem - how many victims? 
  • I'd like to know how much property was lost (both in quantity and dollar value). 
  • I'd like to know how much cash was taken (via payments for services NOT RENDERED). 

Is this any of my business? - probably not, but maybe if we can come up with a comprehensive list someone will take notice.  Law enforcement, DOJ, a law firm, etc.  Some have pointed out to me (rightly so) that Mike may not (and most likely DOES NOT) have any assets to go after.  While that may be true it may not be our only (legal) course of action.  I do think we have a slight chance of getting some type of closure for so many who deserve it.  Mike was on these boards for years and built a certain level of trust and credibility which was all taken away due to whatever personal issues he had. But there are others that vouched for him either directly or by implication who's trust he completely destroyed on top of it all.     

On 3/7/2024 at 2:00 PM, thehumantorch said:

And that's the sad part about all this Gary.  Heroes was considered to be a skilled and trusted restoration expert and now we're learning that while he may be skilled he can't be trusted and isn't good at running a business.  And sadly, in this hobby there are very few people doing this work.  Other than Kenny are there any relatively young comic restoration experts out there?

Thanks Torch!  I completely agree.  I intentionally never sent that book to anyone else for fear of this exact situation, but Mike / HR was on these boards for over 10 year and I thought I'd be safe (like so many others...)

On 3/7/2024 at 12:17 PM, GaryHanson said:

Thanks Torch!  I completely agree.  I intentionally never sent that book to anyone else for fear of this exact situation, but Mike / HR was on these boards for over 10 year and I thought I'd be safe (like so many others...)

Sometimes you just don't know what's going on behind the scenes until it's too late.  It's safe to say people were having problems with Mike well before this all blew up but didn't say anything because nobody else had complained.  Once someone started publicly asking questions everyone realized they weren't the only ones having problems. 

On 3/7/2024 at 3:17 PM, thehumantorch said:

And I want to point out that when this first came out Mike was posting in this thread about how this was making it difficult for him to take on new work and make money.  He always put himself and his business first.

LMAO