• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
27 27

1,924 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2024 at 8:29 AM, joeypost said:

Only $10,000.00? 

Seems harsh to be honest. 

The 21 year old (at the time) in town was 3D printing and selling ghost guns.  On a day that I went to visit there was quite a commotion.  They seized, two 3-D printers, two ghost guns, one assault weapon, ammunition, and assorted gun parts.  They also took $3,000 in cash, a money counting machine, and laptops.

His bail?  $2,500

On 8/23/2024 at 8:35 AM, Buzzetta said:

The 21 year old (at the time) in town was 3D printing and selling ghost guns.  On a day that I went to visit there was quite a commotion.  They seized, two 3-D printers, two ghost guns, one assault weapon, ammunition, and assorted gun parts.  They also took $3,000 in cash, a money counting machine, and laptops.

His bail?  $2,500

Very sad. 

On 8/23/2024 at 9:29 AM, joeypost said:

Very sad. 

I omitted that this was on my parent's block which was who I was visiting and why I was there.   

Also, two current police, one retired police, as well as a former state assemblyman and now town councilman all live on the same block.  It's a "quiet area." :eyeroll: 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 8/23/2024 at 9:18 AM, Buzzetta said:

I omitted that this was on my parent's block which was who I was visiting and why I was there.   

Also, two current police, one retired police, as well as a former state assemblyman and now town councilman all live on the same block.  It's a "quiet area." :eyeroll: 

It's wild how much we often don't know about our neighbors.  A former neighbor of mine is currently doing 30 years for some heinous criminal acts, and I found out there was a bust a few years ago on the block we just moved to where an individual got scooped up for providing financial support to ISIS.

On 8/23/2024 at 7:35 AM, Buzzetta said:

His bail?  $2,500

not to get noodly

The bail is likely due to a prosecutor realizing the police arrested the suspect "too early" due to how scary "ghost gun" sounds and how difficult it is to actually charge someone for it.

3D printing a gun is perfectly legal and has a much longer history sourcing back to "privately made firearms". Nothing they seized was illegal to own and the only crime likely committed was the selling of the potentially unserialized privately made firearm. Which if the person had taken 5 minutes to program his printer to add a unique number to each receiver (or which ever part classifies it as a gun) is now no longer illegal to sell privately!

Obviously I do not know the particulars but the police should have taken a longer term approach verifying he was selling them without serial numbers, tracking how many he sold (turning him from a private seller to a dealer), inquiring to the IRS if he is reporting income, thereby racking up the number of potential charges resulting in the argument for flight risk and High or revoked bail.

On the Private Sale/Dealer issue there is no actual guidance where the line is, just where the ATF decides it is at time of arrest and how good your lawyer is (usually never good enough).

Everyone in this thread can go to Ace Hardware with $35 to purchase a one foot 3/4 inch diameter end threaded pipe, 3/4 inch end cap, a one foot 1 inch diameter smooth pipe, and a nail. You just created a privately made firearm which is an unserialized slam fire single shot 12 gauge.....legally (as long as you do not sell it).

On 8/23/2024 at 12:09 PM, DougC said:

not to get noodly

The bail is likely due to a prosecutor realizing the police arrested the suspect "too early" due to how scary "ghost gun" sounds and how difficult it is to actually charge someone for it.

3D printing a gun is perfectly legal and has a much longer history sourcing back to "privately made firearms". Nothing they seized was illegal to own and the only crime likely committed was the selling of the potentially unserialized privately made firearm. Which if the person had taken 5 minutes to program his printer to add a unique number to each receiver (or which ever part classifies it as a gun) is now no longer illegal to sell privately!

Obviously I do not know the particulars but the police should have taken a longer term approach verifying he was selling them without serial numbers, tracking how many he sold (turning him from a private seller to a dealer), inquiring to the IRS if he is reporting income, thereby racking up the number of potential charges resulting in the argument for flight risk and High or revoked bail.

On the Private Sale/Dealer issue there is no actual guidance where the line is, just where the ATF decides it is at time of arrest and how good your lawyer is (usually never good enough).

Everyone in this thread can go to Ace Hardware with $35 to purchase a one foot 3/4 inch diameter end threaded pipe, 3/4 inch end cap, a one foot 1 inch diameter smooth pipe, and a nail. You just created a privately made firearm which is an unserialized slam fire single shot 12 gauge.....legally (as long as you do not sell it).

There was a crackdown across Long Island and quite a few people were arrested across the span of that year.  They knew for awhile what they were pursuing and this was not an isolated incident. In the same span of a year they arrested numerous people for arms trafficking and possession of illegal firearms constructed in this manner.  These were no threaded pipes either.  This is what they took from the 21 year old. 

Screenshot2024-08-23at12_43_26PM.thumb.png.be872370aeab779e94a6b776388c024d.pngScreenshot2024-08-23at12_43_14PM.thumb.png.528be2106c78e63af6f3231e10fe9d34.png

Screenshot2024-08-23at12_43_42PM.thumb.png.8b4986e7df1764844e4c6fc65c8094c6.pngScreenshot2024-08-23at12_43_58PM.thumb.png.0a1033191588fd6be9201c48b17f06d8.png 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 8/23/2024 at 11:46 AM, Buzzetta said:

There was a crackdown across Long Island and quite a few people were arrested across the span of that year.  They knew for awhile what they were pursuing and this was not an isolated incident. In the same span of a year they arrested numerous people for arms trafficking and possession of illegal firearms constructed in this manner.  These were no threaded pipes either.  This is what they took from the 21 year old. 

Screenshot2024-08-23at12_43_26PM.thumb.png.be872370aeab779e94a6b776388c024d.pngScreenshot2024-08-23at12_43_14PM.thumb.png.528be2106c78e63af6f3231e10fe9d34.png

Screenshot2024-08-23at12_43_42PM.thumb.png.8b4986e7df1764844e4c6fc65c8094c6.pngScreenshot2024-08-23at12_43_58PM.thumb.png.0a1033191588fd6be9201c48b17f06d8.png 

Ah, I see. Just dumb criminals being dumb. a simple serial number on the smooth side of that receiver and selling under 15ish of them would have gone a long way to not getting a felony.

anyway back to Mike getting out of jail and going on the lam!

image.thumb.jpeg.1cb22814cf0a0fea9ff4a10de10de64c.jpeg

RE: Bail

There is a TON of bail variance at the discretion of the judge and prosecutors, and also laws/rules/regulations that vary by jurisdiction.

The bail can vary by crime, by loss of the victims, by evidence, by criminal history, by age, by health, by community, by income, by how filled the local jails are, by safety (of the defendant and/or the community and/or crime victims), by flight risk, by judge, by the judge's mood that day, by income of the defendant, and by many other intangibles (most of which cannot be quantified or documented easily).  

And this variability and inconsistency is what has led some jurisdictions to go to "no-cash bail", because it appears very difficult to apply bail values in a manner that APPEARS to be consistent and fair to all defendants, who are supposed to be treated as legally innocent until proven guilty.

PLEASE NOTE:  I'm not trying to advocate for any political policy, just providing a general explanation that things aren't always so easily understood on the face of it, and that comparisons of different cases are not so easy to make.

On 8/23/2024 at 2:03 PM, DR.X said:

giphy.gif

I hear he's getting out.  I emailed them a lengthy statement why I feel like he should not be and Cantina201 called them, but sounds like we were too late.  They gave me 2 deadlines.  1 11:30 PST and 10:30 PDT.  Full of typos, but I sent it by 10:30 their time.  Justice is deaf blind and dumb.  

Edited by Neo "The One"

What happens to the books in evidence if he is somehow found innocent? Would the books MCS had on consignment go to the original owners, the now-cleared accused thief, or the person who bought them from the accused thief?

On 8/22/2024 at 2:09 PM, KCOComics said:

This is the ill-fated thread where I defended their reputation.... that was Feb last year and the first sign of trouble I'm aware of.... though I dismissed these concerns at the time.  

Don’t beat yourself up over it. I’m in the same boat. Having known Mike for a long time and not hearing of any previous trouble, my initial reaction was is that some drama queens were overreacting. It’s not like that never happens on Internet chat boards. :whistle: I gave him the benefit of the doubt based on a long track record. When Mike contacted me, I believed him that it was just health related problems and everything was going to be taken care of. I was wrong. But if I had to do it again, I would still give someone that I knew the benefit of the doubt, especially when the charges seemed so uncharacteristic. (shrug)