• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
27 27

1,927 posts in this topic

Fraud, negligence, misappropriation of property, theft.

That's quite a collection.

I am not a lawyer so idk if these specific crimes were committed so I am only speculating.

He was working hard at not working on books though that does seem to be apparent.

Do we have a new total on how many people were victimized?

Here's my rapid fire analysis. The deposits customers gave to Mike are basically gone, he's probably been selling the comics over time and they seem to not be all in the same location, and no law enforcement is going to take this case completely seriously because 1) customers willingly paid Mike (obviously hes been doing theft, but not in the more traditional sense of snatching property) and 2) the assets of concern aren't fine art, but comics, a collectible that's barely taken seriously by the general public and is relatively ambiguous with respect to monetary value. I doubt any more people will be made whole here, but Mike getting locked up would be a sweet outcome. Him being gravely sick recently has to be bullshi as well.

Also, as a young guy (20s) who's green in this hobby, I'm shocked at how charitable (and dare I say passive) some people here have been along the way, even in the formative stages when it was already evident the guy is a crook and had no intention of completing the restoration jobs and returning books and cash lol

Edited by L'Angelo Misterioso

On 12/30/2023 at 9:20 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

When you’re in your 50s, hopefully you have a little more empathy, wisdom and emotional intelligence.

I had a lot of sympathy for the guy at first. Partly because I've talked to him and he's clearly a comics super-fan. But mainly because so few people do restoration at his level. I'd hoped he'd somehow manage to get his life back on track and return books and finish the work. The community needs people who do this, especially conservation. We're losing so much know-how with Susan C. retiring and now Mike imploding so spectacularly. But, it's hard to have much sympathy for the guy at this point. 

On 12/30/2023 at 11:20 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

There are also the people who have long-term perspective and know that Mike has been a part of this community for a long time, and ran his business for nearly a decade without any impropriety. Most people don’t turn into criminals at age 55.

Those people were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, thinking he made some bad decisions and had some health problems, but would turn things around.

That is the main thing, this wasn't some fly-by-night pop up operation and Mike has been active in the community for much longer than the actual Hero Restoration business was running. 

Most of us who do have books with would be very happy for him to turn things around (not necessarily possible with the restoration business at this point, but he can still salvage some of his reputation by doing the right thing and maybe still continue pressing as a source of income). While we all fully understand any money paid is gone (and not necessarily due to explicit criminal activity, rather very poor business spending and accounting decisions) he can still mail books back to appease the most vocal of customers that are just wanting their property back regardless of the state they are in. 

Even if Mike does the right thing (I mean how long have these shenanigans been going on for now?), I would not trust sending my books and money to him. In my opinion, his reputation as a comic book restoration/pressing expert has diminished with no recourse.  I mean there is one client of his who has been waiting about 10 years to get his high valued book back!? That's insane!! 

There are a few other guys I trust sending my books to who have done a fantastic job.

On 1/15/2024 at 12:21 PM, Dark Knight said:

Geeze, things went from bad to worst. Not only is he selling client's books and stealing money, but he seems to have an alcohol and drug  problem and now a sex predator?  :whatthe:

He's doing the speedrun life any%