• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulp grading review at Collector's summit
3 3

15 posts in this topic

Thanks Jack. Bedsheet slab? And I'd like to know the depth of the Amazing Stories 6.5 slab, previous biggest slab was 1" deep. Wonder if a 276 page pulp could fit into something narrower.

Edited by Dr. Love

On 11/6/2023 at 10:30 PM, Dr. Love said:

Thanks Jack. Bedsheet slab? And I'd like to know the depth of the Amazing Stories 6.5 slab, previous biggest slab was 1" deep. Wonder if a 276 page pulp could fit into something narrower.

Looks like a large deli sandwich from New York 

On 11/6/2023 at 10:30 PM, Dr. Love said:

Amazing stories with the death star cover is a bed sheet tried to get one of those in Windy City auction 

I don't see wedges on any of these (although I'm sure some of these are factory trimmed).  Is there any plan to try and protect those overhang edges?  I thought I read something about the case being designed for that.  (shrug)

On 11/7/2023 at 9:40 AM, Robot Man said:

I notice that the grades are numerical and resemble comic book grades. Will the new graded pulps be graded like comics or more like the Bookery Guide?

Other than like squarebound comics they are a totally different animal.

I have found the Bookery standards to be very accurate and very easy to grade from.  

The old pulp collector way of grading (which has always been good by me) is going to run headlong into the slab culture of expecting some sort of exact standards or "assurances" about what they are buying.  If you want some sort of estimate at the percentage of pulps that have had at least a little bit of what collectors freak out about here as "restoration," I'd only say it's very high :roflmao:  I promise there will be books graded in the higher ranges that will still fall apart immediately with almost any handling and books in the lower ranges with nice fat pages and only semi-tatty covers that you'd be happy to own. I guess "handling" isn't really what a book in a slab is about anyways.

FWIW, the older generation of pulp collectors (almost all of whom are readers and more distinct from the comics crowd than you might imagine) is absolutely horrified at what CGC coming in has already done to the market, terming the new generation of buyers from the land of comics as "suckers," even if they are happy to be moving a lot of books right now.  I don't quite see it that way and welcome newcomers to the fabulous world of pulps but do expect the prices from the last year (and maybe the coming years as well) to come back to earth.

On 11/7/2023 at 12:45 PM, Yorick said:

I don't see wedges on any of these (although I'm sure some of these are factory trimmed).  Is there any plan to try and protect those overhang edges?  I thought I read something about the case being designed for that.  (shrug)

Look close at the war book and the thrilling; seem to have bottom overhangs which are protected 

On 11/6/2023 at 4:05 PM, comicjack said:

The pulp is safe and secure in there and viewable on all sides for the fan base. There are some amazing history and covers in this genre and can be welcomed as a way to save the copies for future collectors.

But a slabbed pulp cannot be read.
Any slabbed pulp that I buy will get cracked out of the holder so I can read the pulp.

You're not here to "save the copies for future collectors".