• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brittle Pages? How Bad Is It? Is It a Dealbreaker?
7 7

65 posts in this topic

I don't normally keep brittle books if I find them, but  I HAVE slabbed a few books that did not seem to be brittle anywhere, only for them to come back "slightly brittle" ...so I'm iffy about those. I also don't buy cream/ow colored books with spine rolls, I had one of those but when it was opened up, every page was split. (I bought it thinking I'd have the spine roll flixed).

Edited by skypinkblu
typo

There was a conservationist posting here a while back that had been working on a de-acidification process for the newsprint paper.  He used a great old DC book with (what looked like) slightly brittle pages and made them supple cream.  Whether this worked as a long term preservation method or not, I do not know.  I am hopeful that there may be a time in the near future that we'll have better processes for reversing paper degradation.

On 11/11/2023 at 5:07 AM, goldust40 said:

Always avoid brittle books. Structure is important but so is preservation, and a book with brittle pages is on its last legs in that department, unless there's a restorational method of reversing the deterioration. Normally (but not always) the book is very tan, with the browning visible on the cover, with some of the corners missing. If I wanted a reader, I'd obviously prefer one with decent pages so I could read the damn thing and not have to worry about damaging it - comics are fragile things, but brittleness is the point of no return for me, even with the best storage available. As for investment, I'll pass. Too much of a scarlet letter for me.

Excellent point right here. Thank you.

On 11/11/2023 at 5:36 PM, Robot Man said:

No, it is the Mile Low copy. And, by the way, thanks for the prompt refund…:roflmao:

You're welcome.

I have a Mold guarantee certificate. B|

On 11/11/2023 at 5:55 PM, Yorick said:

There was a conservationist posting here a while back that had been working on a de-acidification process for the newsprint paper.  He used a great old DC book with (what looked like) slightly brittle pages and made them supple cream.  Whether this worked as a long term preservation method or not, I do not know.  I am hopeful that there may be a time in the near future that we'll have better processes for reversing paper degradation.

I really don't think you can reverse brittleness.

Putting lipstick on a pig is one thing, but bringing long dead paper back to life?

That's Jesus territory.

When I was younger, I worked a few years at art galleries and frame shops doing framing. I was so in-tune with cutting mats, that when I look at framed artwork, I immediately look at the corners of the mat to see the amount of overcut or tearing. It's maddening because 30 years later, I still do it.

Awhile back I got a deal on a Thrilling Crime Cases 49 that had beautiful color, but hammered to 1.0 because of brittle pages. I stare at that book and enjoy the bright, vivid color - but my eye wanders right up to the PQ part of the label. It reminds me of looking at matboard, and I go back-and-forth about getting rid of it because 30 years from now, I'll still have a problem with the brittle pages. :frustrated:

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 11/11/2023 at 8:29 PM, Dr. Balls said:

When I was younger, I worked a few years at art galleries and frame shops doing framing. I because so in-tune with cutting mats, that when I look at framed artwork, I immediately look at the corners of the mat to see the amount of overcut or tearing. It's maddening because 30 years later, I still do it.

Awhile back I got a deal on a Thrilling Crime Cases 49 that had beautiful color, but hammered to 1.0 because of brittle pages. I stare at that book and enjoy the bright, vivid color - but my eye wanders right up to the PQ part of the label. It reminds me of looking at matboard, and I go back-and-forth about getting rid of it because 30 years from now, I'll still have a problem with the brittle pages. :frustrated:

As somebody said before, PQ is debateable with CGC.

I think that their qualification of page colour is very often flawed and questionable at best, especially with the drop in grading standards over the last few years. I think PQ is something they don't really put their best effort into ascertaining.

Just going from personal experience crack-outs when I say this.

I'd like to think that Forrest Gump could identify Brittle Pages........but  who knows?   

On 11/11/2023 at 1:34 PM, Paul (GG) © ® ™💙 said:

I think that their qualification of page colour is very often flawed and questionable at best, especially with the drop in grading standards over the last few years. I think PQ is something they don't really put their best effort into ascertaining.

I'd like to think that Forrest Gump could identify Brittle Pages........but  who knows?   

… hmmmmmmm tempting

On 11/11/2023 at 3:34 PM, Paul (GG) © ® ™💙 said:

This. ^

On 11/11/2023 at 3:29 PM, Dr. Balls said:

When I was younger, I worked a few years at art galleries and frame shops doing framing. I was so in-tune with cutting mats, that when I look at framed artwork, I immediately look at the corners of the mat to see the amount of overcut or tearing. It's maddening because 30 years later, I still do it.

If you use and adjust the stops, you’ll never get overcuts. :gossip: