• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comicart live Nov 2023 discussion
3 3

72 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2023 at 3:54 PM, Lago32 said:

Why are dealers allowed to post inventory pieces that have in some cases been sitting on their website for years? I had thought there was a rule stating all dealer offerings had to be fresh material? If so, it obviously is not being enforced. Kudos to Albert for bringing out some fresh material at least.

Not just that, Mike, but why are pieces in the upcoming Clink Nov auction appearing in CAL searches (search by title or artist)???

On 11/12/2023 at 3:54 PM, Lago32 said:

Why are dealers allowed to post inventory pieces that have in some cases been sitting on their website for years? I had thought there was a rule stating all dealer offerings had to be fresh material? If so, it obviously is not being enforced. Kudos to Albert for bringing out some fresh material at least.

Bill makes most of his money from dealer/auction house advertising... you don't disturb the geese laying your golden eggs 

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 11/12/2023 at 5:50 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Bill makes most of his money from dealer/auction house advertising... you don't disturb the geese laying your golden eggs 

Two pieces I had seen were posted by non-dealers (one is a part time dealer who doesn’t advertise) at exactly the same price they have been listed for already. I didn’t need to go through, what, 200 screens for that.

Just to be clear, I have no problem with people buying art at low prices and then putting it up for sale at higher prices, but I hate it when someone buys art for $750, says its their "holy grail" - and I'm happy for them! - and then puts it up for sale for $5,000 right around a year after acquiring that so-called "holy grail."

The prices are very high in this CAL, but, hey, it's your art, so price it as high as you want. I don't begrudge anyone for trying to maximize their profits and I will never blast someone in that sour-grapes-from-bitter-old-jealous-collectors thread about the flip of the day. It is funny to see people post in that thread and then put art up on CAL for multiples what they just paid for it recently in some auction or that they snagged in a bargain eBay sale. ;)

I bought 1 piece from super cool Fisch that was right up my collecting alley and allowed me to check another artist off my list to get a piece from.

I had some sellers reach out for reduced prices on pieces I had saved but those were fall back choices in case I didn’t buy anything.  However, since I did buy something I really wanted, I didn’t respond (except 1 for a modern cover hoping for a larger reduction).  I haven’t heard back from that one so I assume it’s a no-go.  But at the end of the day, I am perfectly happy with the piece I did get.

On 11/12/2023 at 8:26 PM, Benedict Judas Hel said:

I bought 1 piece from super cool Fisch that was right up my collecting alley and allowed me to check another artist off my list to get a piece from.

I had some sellers reach out for reduced prices on pieces I had saved but those were fall back choices in case I didn’t buy anything.  However, since I did buy something I really wanted, I didn’t respond (except 1 for a modern cover hoping for a larger reduction).  I haven’t heard back from that one so I assume it’s a no-go.  But at the end of the day, I am perfectly happy with the piece I did get.

Fisch is a good guy.

With 45 minutes left to go before the show ends, this is the worst sales I have done since these began. I ended up just selling 3 pieces and all were sub $100 each. Oh well. With conventions back in full force, I think people may prefer going back to in person sales and the various auction services that have been around longer.

I haven't watched Bill's summary but I believe the past sales made $1M+...pretty sure this one is down at least 30%.  Sell-through is at `8% which I think was ~ 10% in the past but I could be wrong.

I feel it is an indication that people are a bit more cautious these days - also fixed price sales require a bit more faith or knowledge than an auction when things are not booming.

I sold 5 pieces so far with 2 more in trade talks and bought 4 so not so bad.
(Update one trade deal closed so 6 sold and 5 picked up)

It is worth going through the site - and there is a convenient search - which you can't do at a physical convention!

Edited by mtlevy1
Typo - update

I bought a neat Tim Sale unpublished piece, not a lot of 90’s stuff for me on either day. Was pretty surprised to see $1200+ color guides. If people are paying that, I anticipate a whole lot of counterfeits in the future. 

I didn't buy any more the second day, although I did scan through everything posted.

I didn't have new items listed for Sunday and was worried that my remainder Saturday stuff might get less attention but I finished strong and sold a few pieces towards the end of the show.

Overall I'm quite happy with the show. Some higher end pieces that I would only sell at a certain price sold, and some lower end pieces sold

As Brian said, I'm buying less these days due to many reasons (main ones being I have most of what I want to collect, and I don't need addition examples from the same artist/run at today's prices)

Malvin

On 11/13/2023 at 8:35 AM, Brian Peck said:

I was annoyed at some of the lack of etiquette. I had two people contact me thru the CAL contact email option (not a purchase request). First person emailed me on saturday he was interested and asked the shipping cost but did not include what artwork he wanted. I responded asking what artwork. Then resent a purchase request which had the artwork listed but still mentioned he was interested. I responded but never heard back. Then I sold it to another person later after waiting an hour.

Other person CAL contact email option on saturday and said he was "seriously interested" and asked if I could do a lower price. I responded with and offer but no response either accept or reject. Emailed again today earlier but no response. I understand there is alot of art people are looking at and some are selling. But if you inquire about a piece say your interested or ask for a discount. I expect the person to response saying the will do the deal or decide not to. This is what I always do if I inquire and and decide not to buy I always tell the seller my decision.

Please a little etiquette when you inquire about possible buying artwork.

Similar etiquette is to be expected by dealers / sellers as well.  I sent through a request to purchase to a very "reputed" dealer and got no answer at all.  I sent through an offer on another piece and did not receive a reply either.

On 11/12/2023 at 6:34 PM, Michael Browning said:

I don't begrudge anyone for trying to maximize their profits and I will never blast someone in that sour-grapes-from-bitter-old-jealous-collectors thread about the flip of the day.

Your “never” is approximately as reliable as that other dude’s “grail” - semantics that you posted your gripe in this thread instead of the other. If you want no part of that then don’t post it 😉

On 11/13/2023 at 4:19 AM, Carlo M said:

I sent through a request to purchase to a very "reputed" dealer and got no answer at all.  I sent through an offer on another piece and did not receive a reply either.

You didn’t get the memo? “Away from my desk, so sorry, adding two zeroes to all my listings, get back to you soo…”

On 11/13/2023 at 4:58 AM, vodou said:

You didn’t get the memo? “Away from my desk, so sorry, adding two zeroes to all my listings, get back to you soo…”

You don't have to wait for your artwork to gain a decade's worth of value, we'll sell it to you for that price right now! The all-new trend in original art: 2033 pricing in 2023!