• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMIC STORES 2023: 'IT'S NEARLY 2024 AND I'M MORE THAN CONCERNED'
4 4

545 posts in this topic

On 11/16/2023 at 10:47 AM, Robot Man said:

Being an old geezer, I don’t find young people of today much different than when I was young. Or any previous generation for that matter.

I do consider them inexperienced in life. The older you get, the smarter you get. And you aquire more life experience.

I do, probably like my parents before me, feel bad for the world we all live in. Hopefully, the young folks of today make it a better place but I kind of doubt it.

And as an old time comic collector, I really feel bad for the collectors today. You folks really missed out…

Don't feel bad....I'm 34, started when I was 11 or 12 though and went right into stuff from the 60s and 70s at that time. Whilst I am sure what I have doesn't hold a candle to what many have given the time period I was born, I still really enjoy and am proud of the books I do have and it has been a wonderful hobby for me. Also the fact that I will likely be doing it for another 34 years? Amazing! Granted I may never be in a situation to get books that many could once upon a time (AF 15s or even Golden Age beauties), I have still managed to acquire some of these level of books and the thrill that it could happen again is well worth continuing. 

On 11/16/2023 at 4:14 PM, Paul (GG) © ® ™💙 said:
On 11/16/2023 at 3:42 PM, ttfitz said:

:"Wow, there were a lot of people at the Michigan football game this week."

"Oh, yeah? How many?"

"EIGHTY-NINE!"

Sold out again?

image.png.b1fbb974dbd436726617f26fe3571b61.png

(:gossip: seating capacity 107,601)

On 11/18/2023 at 1:36 AM, Nick Furious said:

Good grief.  Many of us collect things that were out of print long before we were born.  Or at least long before we were aware of their existence.  Having an appreciation for appealing qualities that have withstood the test of time...that doesn't stem from any of the motivations offered by this blowhard.   I wonder how he would explain the popularity of pre-code horror with people born long after that era.     

I think you are kind of making his point for him.  He is saying the collector “hides” in the old (even stuff older then us) and complains about the new.  I don’t agree that the collector is wrong in thinking the new is bad because to most of us the new stuff is bad to our taste.  If new was good to us the print runs of modern books would be 5x what it is today.  

On 11/18/2023 at 4:59 AM, 1Cool said:

I think you are kind of making his point for him.  He is saying the collector “hides” in the old (even stuff older then us) and complains about the new.  I don’t agree that the collector is wrong in thinking the new is bad because to most of us the new stuff is bad to our taste.  If new was good to us the print runs of modern books would be 5x what it is today.  

But that's not the writer's point, that just the perception that he works off of in order to draw the conclusions that make his point.  That perception, or observation, is probably at least partially true.  The point the author tries to make about the "collector" is an exercise in insulting and malignant mindreading nonsense:  This kind of totalization by means of objects always bears the stamp of solitude. It fails to communicate with the outside, and communication is missing within it. . . . The collector is never an utterly hopeless fanatic, precisely because he collects objects that in some way always prevent him from regressing into the ultimate abstraction of a delusional state, but at the same time the discourse he thus creates can never -- for the very same reason -- get beyond a certain poverty and infantilism." 

My opinion is simply that the collector is typically not a "first-adapter" but more often someone who prefers things that have been seasoned and survived the test of time (although there are a few people who are both "first adapters and collectors, but we tend to call them hoarders).  It would be easy to write an equally stupid and critical analysis of the motivations of "first-adapters"; always seeking the new and having no appreciation for the old and established.  But again, that would be malignant mind-reading and insulting.      

Edited by Nick Furious

On 11/18/2023 at 8:06 AM, Nick Furious said:

But that's not the writer's point, that just the perception that he works off of in order to draw the conclusions that make his point.  That perception, or observation, is probably at least partially true.  The point the author tries to make about the "collector" is an exercise in insulting and malignant mindreading nonsense:  This kind of totalization by means of objects always bears the stamp of solitude. It fails to communicate with the outside, and communication is missing within it. . . . The collector is never an utterly hopeless fanatic, precisely because he collects objects that in some way always prevent him from regressing into the ultimate abstraction of a delusional state, but at the same time the discourse he thus creates can never -- for the very same reason -- get beyond a certain poverty and infantilism." 

My opinion is simply that the collector is typically not a "first-adapter" but more often someone who prefers things that have been seasoned and survived the test of time (although there are a few people who are both "first adapters and collectors, but we tend to call them hoarders).  It would be easy to write an equally stupid and critical analysis of the motivations of "first-adapters"; always seeking the new and having no appreciation for the old and established.  But again, that would be malignant mind-reading and insulting.      

Oh I agree he is trying to reduce the collector into a box (and an ugly box at that) which shows his bias.  Maybe he got beat up by a comic book nerd in high school and has never been able to get past it.

But I do think there is some truth to the thought they collectors prefer to be surrounded by the past and some people take it too far and neglect the now.  

On 11/17/2023 at 8:59 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Don't feel bad....I'm 34, started when I was 11 or 12 though and went right into stuff from the 60s and 70s at that time. Whilst I am sure what I have doesn't hold a candle to what many have given the time period I was born, I still really enjoy and am proud of the books I do have and it has been a wonderful hobby for me. 

I'm glad to have a relative youngster around, comicginger. (The 1789 at the end of your name led me to believe you were much, much, much older.)

Not only do I appreciate you as a thirty-something collector, I appreciate how active you are on the boards. I've read a ton of your posts over the years.

What's it going to take to bring your peers into this awesome hobby of ours?

As a 60 plus year collector, dealer, and still to this day reader...here are my thoughts and predictions;

1- the single comic book  for 4.99...5.99 etc  is a dead man walking which will revert to new material being released as graphic novels only, that will add another 10 years plus the life of a comic book production .  Single Comic books even if dead here will have to  follow the Japan model. I do not see a complete demise of this art form in any time in the near future. I do see a forced trend to elimination of the printed comic book on environmental grounds to save trees..forests etc , as well as a general trend for all print media to go that way. Again, our savior in the comic book world will be the graphic novel...here is the problem...future comic books collecting will have a cut off date...that is no new  single issues...no new collectors PERIOD ...just readers . DC/Marvel going price reduction...never happen, they dont care and they will do what they did to Mad Mag....remember that...the king of comic books in terms of sales...they will slowly kill it with no new material until it does on some internet site which is shut down. DC goes first, them Marvel.

2-The demise of the current issue sales is also a combination of instant access to millions of back issues at a much cheaper price..some as low as a $1....The back issues, which might be better written and possibly drawn will take down the new issue sales as time goes on..consumers will always take the better deal..as well as collectors.

3-The current reprint material, such as the one I am reading now which is Green Lantern SA Omnibus 1....that material is first rate, I purchased that at SDCC for $50...it contains 3 showcase issues and 35 regular issues. The intelligence in the story line as well as the outstanding art for like 1.25 an issue in a hardcover book....who is even gonna pay  5 bucks for 22 pages......Look for more collectors to  restort  to the SA and Bronze Omnibus and other graphic collections.

4-Comic book stores which are on the decline...its happening all over, not just to comic book stories...people are going on line...buying for cheaper because the retailer has less overhead without a store front. You are not gonna pay your local comic book store $10 more  for the  graphic novel over time.

5-The Marvel Flame of hits has hit a brick wall.....look at the Marvels....just garbage and a mess...hey I do like very much LOKI....and GOTG3...it can be done right....just like the comic book, the entire company needs a reboot....not a bad thing, unless they screw it up.

So...Marvel....DC...fi you are listening...change or die....and in this world of NO patience...you had better shake things up to save what little we have left of a great, mighty institution called the comic book shop... it saved you many years ago, you owe us....I do not want to say in 5 years....remember the day we  used have comic books shops.

MY 2 cents

Mitch

Edited by Mmehdy

On 11/18/2023 at 4:47 PM, Off Panel said:

I'm 56, and first started reading comics when I was eight.

I collect everything from Silver Age up, and have been on a big Bronze kick for the last decade or so. I also still read new comics -- Marvel and the very rare DC. I have a litany of "old man" complaints* about today's comics, but I also realize that comics weren't perfect when I was a kid**, either.

One complaint that I will push back on is that today's writing and art aren't any good. Ironically, I feel like this belief is held most strongly by those who don't read comics anymore and I'm always curious about how they come to that opinion.

"Today's writing is utter garbage -- and I should know! I haven't picked up a comic since ASM 441!"

I'm catching up on some new comics reading today (I'm a few months behind) and I read two books back to back this morning that I would hold up as fine examples: Spider-man #9 (Legacy 165) written by Dan Slott and Avengers Beyond #3 written by Derek Landy. Both books were plenty entertaining, and both gave me a twist that I wasn't expecting that made me smile or got me more invested in the story.

If you haven't picked up a comic lately, I would recommend either as a nice dip back in the comic book pool. If you have no intention of picking up a new comic, I'll give you a quick plot summary of each in the spoiler box:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoilers for those who want them:

In Spider-man 9, Spidey is feeling guilty about someone he couldn't save last issue. He has found a way to amp up his spider-sense to the point where he can tell when anyone in the city is in danger and he is running himself ragged trying to save everyone. This culminates in a completely crazy situation: Spidey goes to break up a bank robbery and gives himself a migraine taking on the perps. Each time he throws a punch, his spider-sense feeds back, since the bad guys are in danger thanks to Spidey's own punches. Now tell me that Stan himself wouldn't have loved that one?

In Avengers Beyond 3, the Avengers are stepping up to protect the Beyonder from the "Lost One," an omega-threat villain who kills Beyonders. Cap and the gang are struggling to keep the Lost One off of Earth through the use of Tony Stark's and T'challa's planetary defense shield, which the Beyonder has helped them to strengthen. Halfway through a fight with the Black Order, the shield comes down unexpectedly and the Lost One breaks through, looking for the Beyonder, who has made himself scarce.

The power crystals powering the shield are suddenly teleported out of the Avengers' facility and repositioned into four orbiting satellites and the shield goes back up as the Beyonder watches from space. The Beyonder has executed a double-cross to save himself by turning the Earth into an inescapable prison for the Lost One. Tough going, Avengers.

Keep in mind, these are not the best modern comics I've read. These are just two comics I read this morning from my May 2023 stack. 

Whereas I love, love, love Silver and Bronze Age comics, books today on average are probably written better. Having said that, there were both masterpieces and stinkers back then and that is still 100% true today.

* Old man complaints about today's comics:

• Another re-number? Can't we string together more than six issues before flipping the table on the numbering scheme? Trying to find issue number 3 of ANY series on eBay brings back seven different candidates!
  • Did Marvel treat all its writers to a seminar on En Media Rez? If read one more book that jumps forward six months and starts in the middle of the story, I'll snap.
  • $4.99? What is this book printed on -- the Magna Carta?
  • I don't want another poster on the front cover. I want a glimpse of what's happening in the story. When I look at this book a year from now, I'll have no idea what it's about.
  • I'm so glad this interesting story I've been reading will now be interrupted by a two-issue tie-in to Secret Civil Wars, Marvel's new 64-issue cross-company event about something.

**Comics also weren't perfect when I was a kid"

• That thing that happened on the cover didn't come close to happening in the actual book. What the hey?
  • "Still only 25¢."? Oh sugar! Another price hike is comin'...
  • Apparently that story was a dream, a hoax, AND an imaginary tale!
  • I can't find Captain America #99 or Incredible Hulk #101 -- It's like they don't exist!

I think you give a fair analysis.  I enjoy looking at the covers of silver and bronze age books, but I don't find the writing very appealing.  I appreciate a cover that makes you want to buy the book for reading rather than for slabbing.  I think the 80's brought in an era of more mature, and better writing that probably continues on to modern times.  I think it was inevitable that the cover prices would escalate quickly when comics moved from newsstands to specialty retailers, just based on the specialty retailers need for more gross profit dollars per book to pay the overhead.  

Edited by Nick Furious

On 11/18/2023 at 5:47 PM, Off Panel said:
  • Another re-number? Can't we string together more than six issues before flipping the table on the numbering scheme? Trying to find issue number 3 of ANY series on eBay brings back seven different candidates!
  • Did Marvel treat all its writers to a seminar on En Media Rez? If read one more book that jumps forward six months and starts in the middle of the story, I'll snap.
  • $4.99? What is this book printed on -- the Magna Carta?
  • I don't want another poster on the front cover. I want a glimpse of what's happening in the story. When I look at this book a year from now, I'll have no idea what it's about.
  • I'm so glad this interesting story I've been reading will now be interrupted by a two-issue tie-in to Secret Civil Wars, Marvel's new 64-issue cross-company event about something.

**Comics also weren't perfect when I was a kid"

• That thing that happened on the cover didn't come close to happening in the actual book. What the hey?
  • "Still only 25¢."? Oh sugar! Another price hike is comin'...
  • Apparently that story was a dream, a hoax, AND an imaginary tale!
  • I can't find Captain America #99 or Incredible Hulk #101 -- It's like they don't exist!

xD

On 11/13/2023 at 4:58 AM, Prince Namor said:

Character swapping, gender-bending, and changing sexual orientation of beloved characters fell flat with the Wednesday Warriors who supported the industry for decades.  The crowd of new readers the changes were meant to attract didn’t translate to a 1-for-1 swap, leaving a declining customer base.

The 'new crowd of readers' generally don't spend nearly as much of their money as legacy supporters do, and never will.

Do you want proof? Comic dealers live by the phrase "cosplayers have no pockets in their costumes" meaning, they don't carry money to spend. All they want is their 15 minutes of fame and they're gone. They're too busy chasing fads. 

Stop pandering to people who have no money, no will to even get up in the morning, no real life experience to make mature, long term decisions and no business sense to dictate what other people should do with their money. 

You can't build anything lasting from the top down. It's not how nature works AT ALL. It is how BIG MONEY works, though.

You can only grow it from the bottom up and the fact that Big Money is willing to torch the 80 years of organic growth everyone one of us has put into this hobby should be a lesson to you all.

Don't believe what they tell you. Believe what they show you. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/19/2023 at 12:22 PM, VintageComics said:

The 'new crowd of readers' generally don't spend nearly as much of their money as legacy supporters do, and never will.

It would be nice for the comic book industry if I were immortal and could keep spending my money with them indefinitely. 

Since my killjoy doctor says that's unlikely, they're going to have to replace me with a new reader at some point.

On 11/19/2023 at 12:30 PM, Off Panel said:

It would be nice for the comic book industry if I were immortal and could keep spending my money with them indefinitely. 

Since my killjoy doctor says that's unlikely, they're going to have to replace me with a new reader at some point.

There are two important facets to this discussion as I see it.

1) The world is very diverse and there are many successful (and unsuccessful businesses) but in order for a business to be successful for the long term, it needs to be honest with itself and allowed to operate freely to produce it's art form as it sees fit. This includes things you don't like. 

Businesses are being pressured and influenced by outside forces. It's happening in every area of life without exception. Every single person reading this feels it, sees it and knows it. 

They are not allowed to operate as they see fit and the internet that was supposed to connect everyone is the single most divisive tool in all of human history. You put out something someone doesn't like and they can destroy your life from their smelly sofa covered in popcorn and soda pop.

I'll add that honesty / integrity is not a highly valued commodity these days. Dishonesty is, and the end product of dishonesty is dismal failure. When you are trying to please many masters, you're dishonest with yourself.

So why are people surprised that there are so many failures when there is so much dishonesty?

Honest businesses know exactly who their audience is and they target that audience effectively but outside forces cause businesses to be dishonest with themselves and corrupt the art form, just like in music and in EVERY OTHER ART FORM. 

It has happened to every major rock band, film director, creative editor, media mogul, you name it. 

And you know it's true. 

-------------------------------------------------------

2) Children are not being raised to want to read and learn. They're being raised (actually, groomed) to avoid reading and avoid learning. Our children are being raised to avoid things they might disagree with and chase things they agree with, and in doing so are raised to act like crack addicts chasing what feels good.

Children are being distracted from reading by the influences of social media. Their attention spans are getting shorter, their breadth of material to experience real life from is getting smaller due to different things, including but not limited to cancel cultures (which is really just a projection of the few on the many), manipulation of their psyche by social media (we are physiologically / psychologically changing the evolutionary path of humanity with tech) and by an over saturation of shiny, sugary, addictive forces that have nothing positive or productive in them at all while starving them of true human connections that come from family and community. 

How do you expect your kids to want to sit down and read a book that may disagree with when they've been programmed to hate complex things that they may disagree with?

The only way to grow is to face complex things you disagree with and learn to navigate them but we've disarmed them and this has caused them to avoid it all and seek the sugar hits.

Your comic book now needs to catch them with a Taylor Swift hook to get their attention, be promoted on Tik Tok and not be over in 180 seconds long for it to be successful. And I have nothing against Taylor Swift. 

There's a new Tik Tok craze and Gen Z are realizing what it's like to unplug from the digital world. doh!

This is a pathetic failure on the part of US, me and you, and the ones who led the way. Believe me, I have tried. You've seen me trying. 

Why did it take nearly 30 years for children to realize en masse how devious social media is and how many countless millions of lives have been ruined before they realized it?

You all know this is true too. 

------------------------------------------------------------

You want to expand your reader base? You need to focus on these two things.

TLDR for the crack addicts?

More more autonomy, more honesty, less social media, building better families and stronger communities.

It's the only thing that will work. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/19/2023 at 10:24 AM, VintageComics said:

1) The world is very diverse and there are many successful (and unsuccessful businesses) but in order for a business to be successful for the long term, it needs to be honest with itself and allowed to operate freely to produce it's art form as it sees fit. This includes things you don't like. 

Businesses are being pressured and influenced by outside forces. It's happening in every area of life without exception. Every single person reading this feels it, sees it and knows it. 

They are not allowed to operate as they see fit and the internet that was supposed to connect everyone is the single most divisive tool in all of human history. You put out something someone doesn't like and they can destroy your life from their smelly sofa covered in popcorn and soda pop.

I'll add that honesty / integrity is not a highly valued commodity these days. Dishonesty is, and the end product of dishonesty is dismal failure. When you are trying to please many masters, you're dishonest with yourself.

So why are people surprised that there are so many failures when there is so much dishonesty?

Honest businesses know exactly who their audience is and they target that audience effectively but outside forces cause businesses to be dishonest with themselves and corrupt the art form, just like in music and in EVERY OTHER ART FORM. 

It has happened to every major rock band, film director, creative editor, media mogul, you name it. 

And you know it's true. 

-------------------------------------------------------

2) Children are not being raised to want to read and learn. They're being raised (actually, groomed) to avoid reading and avoid learning. Our children are being raised to avoid things they might disagree with and chase things they agree with, and in doing so are raised to act like crack addicts chasing what feels good.

Children are being distracted from reading by the influences of social media. Their attention spans are getting shorter, their breadth of material to experience real life from is getting smaller due to different things, including but not limited to cancel cultures (which is really just a projection of the few on the many), manipulation of their psyche by social media (we are physiologically / psychologically changing the evolutionary path of humanity with tech) and by an over saturation of shiny, sugary, addictive forces that have nothing positive or productive in them at all while starving them of true human connections that come from family and community. 

How do you expect your kids to want to sit down and read a book that may disagree with when they've been programmed to hate complex things that they may disagree with?

The only way to grow is to face complex things you disagree with and learn to navigate them but we've disarmed them and this has caused them to avoid it all and seek the sugar hits.

Your comic book now needs to catch them with a Taylor Swift hook to get their attention, be promoted on Tik Tok and not be over in 180 seconds long for it to be successful. And I have nothing against Taylor Swift. 

There's a new Tik Tok craze and Gen Z are realizing what it's like to unplug from the digital world. doh!

This is a pathetic failure on the part of US, me and you, and the ones who led the way. Believe me, I have tried. You've seen me trying. 

Why did it take nearly 30 years for children to realize en masse how devious social media is and how many countless millions of lives have been ruined before they realized it?

------------------------------------------------------------

You want to expand your reader base? You need to focus on these two things.

TLDR for the crack addicts?

More more autonomy, more honesty, less social media, building better families and stronger communities.

It's the only thing that will work. 

Amend...Brother....one of the best posts of year...maybe the decade!

On 11/20/2023 at 1:24 AM, VintageComics said:

Marvel IS producing the art form as it sees fit. DC IS producing the art form as it sees fit. The same as Heavy Metal is, the same as Avatar is, the same as Boundless... you think Garth Ennis isn't producing the art form as he sees fit? You think Alan Moore isn't producing the art form as he sees fit?

They're business' who've chosen to produce the art form in the way that they see fit.

That's their CHOICE to feel pressured. Tim Vigil isn't feeling pressure when he does 'Web Witch'. The Comic Book companies still doing 'nude variants' aren't feeling pressured. Garth Ennis hasn't apologized for the way he wrote 'The Boys' and how it's been altered for TV. 

The pressure they feel to change is on THEM. 

They are not allowed to operate as they see fit

Complete nonsense.

and the internet that was supposed to connect everyone is the single most divisive tool in all of human history. You put out something someone doesn't like and they can destroy your life from their smelly sofa covered in popcorn and soda pop.

Examples?

And you know it's true. 

So... Marvel was an honest business, and 'the man' put pressure on them to change?