• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMIC STORES 2023: 'IT'S NEARLY 2024 AND I'M MORE THAN CONCERNED'
4 4

545 posts in this topic

On 11/21/2023 at 5:48 PM, Cat said:

If I believe he's a changed man, which I do, can I petition for him to be removed from the HOS? What he did was horrible, no doubt about it, but I genuinely believe he is not that person anymore. And yes, I was extremely skeptical of him and his motives. 

you can bring it up in the HOS / PL discussion list.  Ask @crassus I think there needs to vote.  

On 11/21/2023 at 5:32 PM, Bosco685 said:

Maybe. But then again studio heads have done this previously.

See current DCU situation where Gunn/Safran shooting themselves (and the studio financials) in the foot by announcing in advance all the pending movies had no go-forward connectivity to future movies. Unless shareholders are going to organize a class action lawsuit, whom would you assume will take the time to determine criminal action against studios?

It's shocking that people still think that this sort of thing never happens. 

They think it's nearly impossible that someone would play with people's lives like they're pawns on a chess board and no matter how much immutable, unequivocal proof you show, it's easier for them to believe that it's just either co-incidence or there's some other far less nefarious explanation. 

I understand why. People want to think the world is a safe place. That's how Bambi feels all the time but it's unrealistic and the sooner people realize it the sooner they can position themselves better. 

Everything and everyone is fodder for the profit machine and that machine includes Disney.

Time to step out of the Dialectic Wizard's Circle.  

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/22/2023 at 6:03 AM, VintageComics said:

It's shocking that people still think that this sort of thing never happens. 

They think it's nearly impossible that someone would play with people's lives like they're pawns on a chess board and no matter how much immutable, unequivocal proof you show, it's easier for them to believe that it's just either co-incidence or there's some other far less nefarious explanation. 

I understand why. People want to think the world is a safe place. That's how Bambi feels all the time but it's unrealistic and the sooner people realize it the sooner they can position themselves better. 

Everything and everyone is fodder for the profit machine and that machine includes Disney.

Time to step out of the Dialectic Wizard's Circle.  

No one said it didn't happen. I just don't see the proof. 

SOME people prefer to see actual proof of criminal behavior involving hundreds of millions of dollars and affecting the lives of thousands of people, as opposed to just... conjecture. 

Conjecture just to make someones views feel knowledgeable. 

The type of sociopathic behavior it would take to just casually sabotage a $626 Million Dollar project may seem blasé to the common man in social scuttlebutt, but I can assure you, corporations do NOT see it as such. 

On 11/21/2023 at 6:43 PM, Poekaymon said:

Anyway, John Carter sucked.  It happens--they can't all be winners. 

There's an entire army of fans that thought it was great (me included), but the article quite clearly explains how the film was sabotaged.

I even belong to a large Facebook group that tried to push for a sequal back in 2012 and 2013.

Did you even bother to read it or are you too well versed in reading minds and it's beneath you? ???

The discussion may be new to you, but this conclusion was already well established 10 years ago as everyone dissected and debated to death why the film failed. We even discussed it on this forum openly and many came to those same conclusions, well before people became so closed minded and programmed to turn the "conspiracy theory" term into a dog whistle. 

You should search that discussion out. It's probably still here somewhere.

Stop making it personal. If you disagree then explain why you disagree and leave it at that or ignore it. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/21/2023 at 5:48 PM, Cat said:

If I believe he's a changed man, which I do, can I petition for him to be removed from the HOS? What he did was horrible, no doubt about it, but I genuinely believe he is not that person anymore. And yes, I was extremely skeptical of him and his motives. 

You want him to be able to sell here again?? :facepalm:

On 11/22/2023 at 11:18 AM, CAHokie said:

You want him to be able to sell here again?? :facepalm:

I don't believe he'd sell here again. I merely honestly believe he's a changed man, and may deserve to be removed from the HOS. I say may as it's not my decision. But I believe he is ready. I am just as surprised as you, but he really has changed. He is no longer that person. 

On 11/21/2023 at 8:26 PM, Cat said:

I don't believe he'd sell here again. I merely honestly believe he's a changed man, and may deserve to be removed from the HOS. I say may as it's not my decision. But I believe he is ready. I am just as surprised as you, but he really has changed. He is no longer that person. 

That’s good to hear. I am glad he has changed and happier in life. I wish him the best, seriously. I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing him post again as he has a lot of knowledge.  He can stay on the HOS though. 

On 11/21/2023 at 8:29 PM, CAHokie said:

That’s good to hear. I am glad he has changed and happier in life. I wish him the best, seriously. I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing him post again as he has a lot of knowledge.  He can stay on the HOS though. 

Stop derailing the thread! :slapfight:

:devil:

On 11/21/2023 at 8:34 PM, CAHokie said:

(Do you even use shampoo in that hair?) :bigsmile:

Actually...no. I stopped using shampoo a while ago. True story. But don't tell anyone. 

On 11/22/2023 at 11:29 AM, CAHokie said:

That's fair enough. I made a post in the Probation forums if you want to share your opinion there too. :)

Edited by Cat

On 11/21/2023 at 1:55 PM, thehumantorch said:

Absolutely.  When I crack open an early FF I can hardly believe how bad the art and writing is.  It's just so crude.  I love it and it's classic to me but it's awful.  

:jawdrop:    Are you actually criticizing Kirby artwork?

On 11/21/2023 at 6:29 PM, Prince Namor said:

No one said it didn't happen. I just don't see the proof. 

SOME people prefer to see actual proof of criminal behavior involving hundreds of millions of dollars and affecting the lives of thousands of people, as opposed to just... conjecture. 

Conjecture just to make someones views feel knowledgeable. 

The type of sociopathic behavior it would take to just casually sabotage a $626 Million Dollar project may seem blasé to the common man in social scuttlebutt, but I can assure you, corporations do NOT see it as such

Clearly you forgot about all the TOO BIG TO FAIL corporations that then led to massive impacts to regional or worldwide industry impacts. Regulators only went after these companies because they had such a massive impact leading to shareholders and customers demanding action. So to assume an industry like movie studios doesn't have executives purposely undermining one another so as to boost their credibility for current and future positions would be avoiding the obvious: it happens too often.

Look at a film like The Fantastic Four (1994). It was created just so producer Bernd Eichinger could keep his option on the film rights, with no plans to really release it. He gave Roger Corman $1 Million to make the film, and three (3) weeks to shoot it.

The Real Reason 1994's Fantastic Four Was Never Released

The producer shopped the project endlessly for the better part of the next decade, and in 1992 — with his contract with Marvel set to expire — he realized he was running out of time. He asked Marvel for an extension, and when they declined, Eichinger got an idea. There may not have been any way he was going to be able to whip up a huge, international production in a matter of months... but he didn't necessarily have to. "They didn't say I had to make a big movie," he reasoned — and with that new approach, he knew just who to go to for help.

All for the sake of later on making a better movie by at least throwing something together to retain the rights. Including wasting the time of the director, crew and actors without a care how this impacted their time and careers.

Studio sabotage is a reality. Along with Hollywood accounting practices to make a movie look successful or not. Corporations when it comes to movie studios play these games often. Sorry to be the bearer of such real news.

On 11/22/2023 at 8:40 AM, Bosco685 said:

Studio sabotage is a reality. Along with Hollywood accounting practices to make a movie look successful or not. Corporations when it comes to movie studios play these games often. Sorry to be the bearer of such real news.

Facing reality is a very hard to thing to do. I myself avoided it for a long time and lived with my head in the clouds, but facing it changed everything for the better.

It reminds me of when I used to coach my kids in soccer and the U-18 boys always tried to show me up when we scrimmaged. lol

I was new to coaching soccer, hadn't played much growing up and early on they'd get me because they used a lot of flash but I realized quickly that they didn't use much fundamentals. 

So I turned the tables really quickly by just sticking to basic, time proven fundamentals, and I began to hold my own even if those these kids were a 3rd of my age and approaching their prime athletic years while I was well past mine. :wink:

Crouch in a defensive position, back up as they advance, keep an eye on their eyes and not just the ball. It quite literally changed everything. 

Big Money has lots of flash because they don't have much else to sustain their enormous, ever growing profits. If they stuck to just the basics, they'd make less money and the CEO would be ousted. It's not that their product gets better year after year, it's just that the song and dance changes and they dazzle you differently every year. 

There's always an angle.

Once you start to see the angles you no longer fall for the flash and man, there's no other way to live peacefully. 

On 11/21/2023 at 5:57 PM, VintageComics said:

Stop making it personal. If you disagree then explain why you disagree and leave it at that. 

Did you even bother to read it or are you too well versed in reading minds and it's beneath you? ???

well before people became so closed minded and programmed to turn the "conspiracy theory" term into a dog whistle. 

:roflmao: