• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMIC STORES 2023: 'IT'S NEARLY 2024 AND I'M MORE THAN CONCERNED'
4 4

545 posts in this topic

On 11/14/2023 at 1:15 AM, Paul (GG) © ® ™💙 said:

Comic books aren't as good as they were.  Shocker.  meh

In other news....

image.png.7642c895c72a6aaf92ede51a71036e02.png

As a soon-to-be 60-year-old who can find some modern comics to be at least as good as many of the best from my youth, clearly I’m a bit of an anomaly.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/14/2023 at 1:18 AM, Ken Aldred said:

As a soon-to-be 60-year-old who can find some new comics to be at least as good as many of the best from my youth, clearly I’m a bit of an anomaly.

It's a generational thing I guess. There is some merit to modern stuff. Have you read the Bogie Man...published I think c.1990. Funniest stuff I've ever read.

Edited by Paul (GG) © ® ™⚽️💙
spelling.

On 11/14/2023 at 7:41 AM, fastballspecial said:

My quesiton is why isnt this brought up at Cons when executives are there for this discussion?

I'm not sure what they could do and really... I'm not sure they'd be honest about their intentions... which are...

On 11/14/2023 at 7:06 AM, KingOfRulers said:

It's sad to say, but I foresee interest in newly published comics continuing to decline. I don't see that trend ever reversing. I think American-style Marvel and DC comics had their time, and that time is coming to an end. It's hard for me to imagine newly published Marvel and DC comics going extinct (at least not in my lifetime), but I definitely expect continuous readership declines.

If you notice... we don't see any publishing statistics anymore. Even MORE concerning is... we have no idea what the DIGITAL sales numbers are.

Think about it...

If I'm Marvel Incorporated and I don't care about anything other than what's best for ME... I continue making comics - in DIGITAL FORM - to completely cut out the middle man (Diamond and the Retailers) - who they've pretty much distrusted and abused for decades. Print can completely die... and Marvel can still continue to publish (to hold onto publishing rights) strictly through Marvel at a fraction of the cost. 

Most likely that day is coming...

On 11/13/2023 at 5:26 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Be careful with Archies from the 2010s onwards. 

Zombie epidemics, werewolves eviscerating their victims, satanism.

Not all-ages entertainment.

I learned how to read in the late 60s thanks to Gold Key, Harvey, and Archie comics. Fairly innocuous reading material for the young'uns back in the day! I must admit, the frequent innuendo in the Archie stories harmlessly sailed way over my head. I do understand that it's a grimmer and grittier world these days, even among the kiddie characters.

Edited by Dr. Haydn
Added sentence at bottom

I still have a pull file at my LCS that I’ve been going to for 15 years. It’s down to about 6 titles. I used to go every wed and I’d have 6-8 titles a week but since about 2018 or so I have cut back huge. My main issue is the price to entertainment ratio. Like many have already stated, 3.99, 4.99, 5.99 for 6 mins a mediocre story is just not doing it. I’ll probably cut down my list more. I enjoy getting 70s and 80s back issues for a buck or 2 and read those. I also enjoy reading fiction novels and books on military/war topics. I can go to a half price book store and get a 400 page book for 3.99 and get more value out of that. 

On 11/13/2023 at 7:59 PM, Ryan. said:

Perhaps you haven't seen the horror and crime comics from the early 50s...

True--the pre-code stuff could be pretty gruesome. I hope they were marketing the crime and horror comics (especially) to an older audience.

On 11/14/2023 at 7:47 AM, fmaz said:

I mean, let's face it - for those of us who grew up on comics in the 70's and 80's what was the entertainment competition? There was no internet, just the very beginnings of the video game industry (first arcades and then early home systems), and we went from three TV networks to early basic cable, but no such thing as a DVR... the VCR was the "wow" invention when it hit.  So the weekly run to the comic store was a big deal!

Kids today? Why on early pay $4 $5 for PART of a story about characters they like... when they stream 20+ movies or series about them, play hours of immersive video games AS them... and so forth. 

A comment made in a documentary about 70s TV in Britain, and the huge viewing figures, especially for prime time weekend shows, that the public wasn’t so much enthralled by the quality of material on offer, they were in thrall to the format and had no other option but to give in and apply full and immediate attention to the provider.

Similarly, we have other options besides the dictates of book exchanges, LCSs, conventions, back issue dealers and much more diverse means for reading and acquiring a comic story without similar, prehistoric dependencies, and many alternative feeding grounds to explore and graze upon.  Only the same depletion effect; the old school businesses begin to starve, some down to oblivion, others like vinyl resurge. Basic food chain theory, a scenario in which the predator becomes the most vulnerable and struggles the greatest.  In some cases it’s sad and I’m less clinical about it, such as when you see a store owner who’s looked after you for years close down due to the falling demand which is being analysed here. In other cases, the sense of freedom and convenience and finding a format that works best from out of all the myriad options, away from malign dependency, is quite a relief.

Edited by Ken Aldred

When I was growing up in the 90's as a kid and then as a teenager comics still were the main way I got to know a comic book characters, but also in the mix were the FOX animated cartoons (Spider-man, X-men, etc.), trading cards, toys, and video games with occasional Batman movies.  However, comic books were still the main marketing tool for me.  I think kids now get introduced more from the movies and video games then the comics.  New comics used to be the main introduction for young individuals to the superhero characters, now its just part of the overall marketing campaign.  IMO

On 11/14/2023 at 9:26 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Be careful with Archies from the 2010s onwards. 

Zombie epidemics, werewolves eviscerating their victims, satanism.

Not all-ages entertainment.

That is family entertainment these days. Nobody takes that pfaff seriously except old loonies. Plus it's hardly 'eviscerating' is it? Isn't that going a bit over the top with it. The pages I've seen fall below that mark. 

As was said, it falls well below the mark of what kids were reading in the 40's and 50's, too. 

In a market where comic shops regularly "don't receive" the hot issue only to hoard them and put them in back issue bins at 5x the price the next month, good riddance. I'll preorder online with a larger discount.

Again, comics aren't failing. Comics are at an all time high in sales. Superhero comics are failing. And again, good riddance.

On 11/13/2023 at 5:24 PM, Prince Namor said:

I'm not sure what they could do and really... I'm not sure they'd be honest about their intentions... which are...

If you notice... we don't see any publishing statistics anymore. Even MORE concerning is... we have no idea what the DIGITAL sales numbers are.

Think about it...

If I'm Marvel Incorporated and I don't care about anything other than what's best for ME... I continue making comics - in DIGITAL FORM - to completely cut out the middle man (Diamond and the Retailers) - who they've pretty much distrusted and abused for decades. Print can completely die... and Marvel can still continue to publish (to hold onto publishing rights) strictly through Marvel at a fraction of the cost. 

Most likely that day is coming...

Now I am not saying you are wrong, but I just remember in the 90's the comic book store I worked at the owner all the time told me LCS's were on borrowed time because Marvel was going to open there own branch of stores (and start going fully digital) and stop distributions all together at the LCS level.

He was so paranoid, and yet here were are in 2023 and that still has no happened yet to level he was concerned with. lol

On 11/14/2023 at 2:51 PM, Cat said:

. Plus it's hardly 'eviscerating' is it? Isn't that going a bit over the top with it. The pages I've seen fall below that mark.

Just in the process of reading Jughead The Hunger, where he’s a werewolf.  Plenty of gory scenes in that which fit the description.  Whereas, Vampironica is tamer and more Gothic.   Not your traditional Archie.

Plus, there was an ironic, joke element to my post as well, comparing the big difference of old with new.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/15/2023 at 4:40 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Just in the process of reading Jughead The Hunger, where he’s a werewolf.  Plenty of gory scenes in that which fit the description.  Whereas, Vampironica is tamer and more Gothic.   Not your traditional Archie.

Plus, there was an ironic, joke element to my post as well, comparing the big difference of old with new.

Ah I didn't pick up on that, my apologies mate. And I'll defer to your wisdom in this case. 

On 11/14/2023 at 1:10 PM, justadude said:

Again, comics aren't failing. Comics are at an all time high in sales.

I don't know what current comic sales are, but I'm guessing this is true only if "all time" only goes back a decade or two. Superman, Batman, Captain Marvel, and others regularly sold over a million copies a month in the 40s. 

On 11/14/2023 at 12:39 PM, ttfitz said:

I don't know what current comic sales are, but I'm guessing this is true only if "all time" only goes back a decade or two. Superman, Batman, Captain Marvel, and others regularly sold over a million copies a month in the 40s. 

Gross sales. Manga, children's comics, and trade paperbacks are all "comics" and make up the vast majority of the comics market. While they don't sell more in quantity than pre-code, they sell more in gross sales.

On 11/14/2023 at 4:14 PM, justadude said:

Gross sales. Manga, children's comics, and trade paperbacks are all "comics" and make up the vast majority of the comics market. While they don't sell more in quantity than pre-code, they sell more in gross sales.

So you are talking dollar volume? Yeah, I guess if you continually raise your prices, you can claim an "all time record" in sales. Not really sure that proves anything about the health of the industry, but maybe that's just me.

Although I will note that 10¢ in 1940 had the same buying power as $2.15 now, so if you adjusted for inflation it probably still wouldn't be a true statement.