• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does one sell a big book ?
4 4

37 posts in this topic

On 11/13/2023 at 11:49 AM, Corallas said:

Hi , 

I got lucky on a grade and have a moderately expensive book , well for my budget .

Avengers 3 , CGC 9.4 Grade .

I have never sold a expensive comic before and wanted to get some tips .

Looking at something like heritage it looks like someone would lose %30 total of the price . 

I know some of this is from the buyers premium but this usually leads to buyers bidding less .

Is it possible to simply list a big book on facebook marketplace and take paypal and then ship the book out? 
Or does this open one up to scams ? 

Thanks !

If you want to sell for a fixed price and are worried about scams (and don't want to sell it on the CGC boards) I would consign the comic with one of the earlier mentioned consignors.

If you want to auction the comic then both Heritage and Comiclink are options, but be ready to accept the risk that with current market conditions that comic could easily sell for less than GPA.

The final decision is really going to depend on how desperate you are to sell this comic. Good things come to those who wait.

On 11/13/2023 at 2:49 PM, Corallas said:

Hi , 

I got lucky on a grade and have a moderately expensive book , well for my budget .

Avengers 3 , CGC 9.4 Grade .

I have never sold a expensive comic before and wanted to get some tips .

Looking at something like heritage it looks like someone would lose %30 total of the price . 

I know some of this is from the buyers premium but this usually leads to buyers bidding less .

Is it possible to simply list a big book on facebook marketplace and take paypal and then ship the book out? 
Or does this open one up to scams ? 

Thanks !

MySlabs.   Just list it even if you list it elsewhere.   

Only 2% fees there.

On 11/14/2023 at 5:52 PM, Black_Adam said:

If you want to sell for a fixed price and are worried about scams (and don't want to sell it on the CGC boards) I would consign the comic with one of the earlier mentioned consignors.

If you want to auction the comic then both Heritage and Comiclink are options, but be ready to accept the risk that with current market conditions that comic could easily sell for less than GPA.

The final decision is really going to depend on how desperate you are to sell this comic. Good things come to those who wait.

Yes I have recently sold some lesser value books through an auction and they went for approx 25 percent less than the gocollect 30 day average .

One was popular book, but I guess auctions can be a roll of the dice especially ones without a large number of potential bidders .

On 11/14/2023 at 4:52 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

#1 tip sell it for more money than you paid? (shrug)

On 11/14/2023 at 5:11 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

#2 tip.  If you have to sell through 3rd party then pay the lowest fees possible. :news: :kidaround:

You're on a roll!

Not sure if this helps, but here is my 2 cents:

In my experience two big factors with large sales are time and patience. When it comes to big books the pool of potential buyers shrinks as the price goes up, and this is especially true if you are hoping for a local sale. Presenting your book to a larger audience usually means auctions houses which take a cut. That makes selling privately on these boards appealing, but of course it also adds the potential for hassles if things dont go smoothly. 

I dont know if there is a formula to all of this but it seems like a decision between good timeline, lack of hassle, and profit where you cant always have all three. 

Edited by Stefan_W

On 11/16/2023 at 3:10 PM, Stefan_W said:

Not sure if this helps, but here is my 2 cents:

In my experience two big factors with large sales are time and patience. When it comes to big books the pool of potential buyers shrinks as the price goes up, and this is especially true if you are hoping for a local sale. Presenting your book to a larger audience usually means auctions houses which take a cut. That makes selling privately on these boards appealing, but of course it also adds the potential for hassles if things dont go smoothly. 

I dont know if there is a formula to all of this but it seems like a decision between good timeline, lack of hassle, and profit where you cant always have all three. 

What about flying around the country to do deals in person ? 
Compared to a cost of a very big book this seems like it could work .

The buyer gets their book in person and the seller gets his money in person.

Advantages to both parties .

Maybe even draw up a small contract to make the sale official ? 

On 11/29/2023 at 3:43 PM, Corallas said:

What about flying around the country to do deals in person ? 
Compared to a cost of a very big book this seems like it could work .

The buyer gets their book in person and the seller gets his money in person.

Advantages to both parties .

Maybe even draw up a small contract to make the sale official ? 

I know someone who made a cash sale on a $105k book. The buyer flew him out to complete the deal in person with cash. It must have been a wild experience and I heard the seller tell the story but I dont have any experience with this approach and dont know all of the hidden ins and outs. 

On 11/29/2023 at 4:17 PM, Stefan_W said:

I know someone who made a cash sale on a $105k book. The buyer flew him out to complete the deal in person with cash. It must have been a wild experience and I heard the seller tell the story but I dont have any experience with this approach and dont know all of the hidden ins and outs. 

Oh that's awesome , I didn't even consider it for buying books. 

Hmmmmmmm

On 12/1/2023 at 7:34 PM, Corallas said:
On 11/29/2023 at 3:17 PM, Stefan_W said:

know someone who made a cash sale on a $105k book. The buyer flew him out to complete the deal in person with cash. It must have been a wild experience and I heard the seller tell the story but I dont have any experience with this approach and dont know all of the hidden ins and outs. 

Expand  

Oh that's awesome , I didn't even consider it for buying books. 

Hmmmmmmm

Well to be honest, you know that was a ancy flight home.,. Lol what's in the carry on sir?

"Oh, just 105k that I got for selling a comic!"

:insane:

On 11/29/2023 at 3:17 PM, Stefan_W said:

I bought a 6 figure book like that a few years ago.  Purchased a same day plane ticket, seller met me at the airport between the 45 minute layover and I handed him a cashier's check.  Put the book in my backpack and hopped back onto the return flight.  Easy peasy chicken queasy.  

My dude. Don't over think it. Your comic book is not a comic book, it is a widget. Sell it on the platform that gets you the most eyeballs with the lowest cost. Try to sell it here, but for a book like that I'd use Comiclink. 10% selling fee and they do a great job. It might get lost at Heritage.

On 12/16/2023 at 9:22 AM, FlyingDonut said:

My dude. Don't over think it. Your comic book is not a comic book, it is a widget. Sell it on the platform that gets you the most eyeballs with the lowest cost. Try to sell it here, but for a book like that I'd use Comiclink. 10% selling fee and they do a great job. It might get lost at Heritage.

You also need 10k minimum to sell on Heritage.