• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does one sell a big book ?
4 4

37 posts in this topic

Hi , 

I got lucky on a grade and have a moderately expensive book , well for my budget .

Avengers 3 , CGC 9.4 Grade .

I have never sold a expensive comic before and wanted to get some tips .

Looking at something like heritage it looks like someone would lose %30 total of the price . 

I know some of this is from the buyers premium but this usually leads to buyers bidding less .

Is it possible to simply list a big book on facebook marketplace and take paypal and then ship the book out? 
Or does this open one up to scams ? 

Thanks !

I've sold a lot of stuff on here, usually when I know the price and it's under $5k or so.  I have also sold hundreds of books between $100 and $5k on eBay--I always do 10 day auctions starting at a dollar.  For anything over $5k I have used the big auction houses, mostly Heritage.  I just don't want to deal with any headaches at all when it starts to be get up there, and am willing to take less for the convenience.  These three strategies have served me well.  

On 11/13/2023 at 5:26 PM, Poekaymon said:

I've sold a lot of stuff on here, usually when I know the price and it's under $5k or so.  I have also sold hundreds of books between $100 and $5k on eBay--I always do 10 day auctions starting at a dollar.  For anything over $5k I have used the big auction houses, mostly Heritage.  I just don't want to deal with any headaches at all when it starts to be get up there, and am willing to take less for the convenience.  These three strategies have served me well.  

Hi yes this was my thought about heritage , you take a big hit but it looks like the service and reputation is very good and less worries overall . 

On 11/13/2023 at 7:10 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

I'd offer it here first. No auction fees and you can avoid reporting the sale on your taxes. 

If you no one bites on the price you want, then go to one of the auction houses. 

The first reason is valid, the second not.  If you wish to withhold reporting the sale for tax purposes it makes no difference whether it's the boards, even more private, or HA.  

On 11/13/2023 at 11:58 PM, Dr. Love said:

The first reason is valid, the second not.  If you wish to withhold reporting the sale for tax purposes it makes no difference whether it's the boards, even more private, or HA.  

Are you sure? I read that Goldin now issues 1099s, just like eBay. I think there used to be a non-report at HA for anything under $20k, but I thought that changed?

On 11/13/2023 at 11:49 AM, Corallas said:

Hi , 

I got lucky on a grade and have a moderately expensive book , well for my budget .

Avengers 3 , CGC 9.4 Grade .

I have never sold a expensive comic before and wanted to get some tips .

Looking at something like heritage it looks like someone would lose %30 total of the price . 

I know some of this is from the buyers premium but this usually leads to buyers bidding less .

Is it possible to simply list a big book on facebook marketplace and take paypal and then ship the book out? 
Or does this open one up to scams ? 

Thanks !

#1 tip sell it for more money than you paid? (shrug)