• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are cartoon comics not as popular with collectors as superhero comics are?
3 3

153 posts in this topic

On 11/23/2023 at 11:46 PM, Paul (GG) © ® ™💙 said:

I couldn't give a rat's arse what the ages are called personally.

I gravitate always toward the GA, as it is generally accepted today, however my field of collecting is now so narrow...PCH from 1950-55 that is really all I care about.

I love that timespan with a passion, particularly 1953 as a pivotal year, so that if they call it 'The Purple age with Orange spots' in the future, I'm ok with that. :smile: 

Doesn't matter, I'll always love that half a decade in the history of comic books. :cloud9:

OK, I'll bite. What was special about '53?

On 11/24/2023 at 5:21 PM, adamstrange said:

The bidders for GA and Atomic Age heavily overlap, so it's simpler and easier for dealers and auction houses to have just the two categories.

When I started to collect Atomic Age back in the 90s, I was very lonely.  There were GA collectors and SA collectors and each of these sometimes collected Atomic Age, but I wasn't aware of anyone seriously focused on all things Atomic Age.

My GA collection was commenced by my dad giving me his childhood collection of later 40s to mid 50s books in the late 70s.  Overstreet around that time had hyped Barks, EC and LB Cole. SOTI always seemed big. I always thought there were a lot of folks focused on that time period. 

I also always viewed Barks and ECs as two of the most heavily collected groups of books with Barks being more popular because they were easier to get. The Barks and EC reprint HCs put out by Cochran did not hurt that perception.

I have always viewed Barks ducks as one of the pillars of the hobby.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 11/25/2023 at 8:21 AM, sfcityduck said:

My GA collection was commenced by my dad giving me his childhood collection of later 49s to mid 50s books in the late 70s.  Overstreet around that time had hyped Barks, EC and LB Cole. SOTI always seemed big. I always thought there were a lot of folks focused on that time period. 

I also always viewed Barks and ECs as two of the most heavily collected groups of books with Barks being more popular because they were easier to get. The Barks and EC reprint HCs put out by Cochran did not hurt that perception.

I have always viewed Barks ducks as one of the pillars of the hobby.

There were EC collectors and Barks collectors from the early days of comics.  They were more narrowly focused than an Atomic Age collector, who is interested in EC, Barks, and so many more wonders of the time.

On 11/25/2023 at 3:07 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Thanks. That clears it up. :eyeroll:

Well I'm sorry.

Do you want me to detail every book published in 1953 in the PCH genre? I'm not going to do that. I have a life.

Anyone who is conversant with PCH, knows what I'm talking about.

:screwy:

On 11/25/2023 at 9:10 AM, Paul (GG) © ® ™💙 said:

Even those of us who are conversant wonder what makes '53 more special than, say, '52, or '51, or even '54.

But I get it. You having a life and all.

Edited by MrBedrock

On 11/25/2023 at 3:20 PM, MrBedrock said:

Even those of us who are conversant wonder what makes '53 more special than, say, '52, or '51, or even '54.

But I get it. You having a life and all.

Thanks, Tricky Dicky.

Your input is appreciated.  :banana:

On 11/25/2023 at 10:20 AM, MrBedrock said:

'53 is one of the years of all time.

On 11/25/2023 at 9:22 AM, Paul (GG) © ® ™💙 said:

Tricky Dicky.

That nickname is still the highest graded!

On 11/25/2023 at 3:39 PM, MrBedrock said:
On 11/25/2023 at 3:22 PM, Paul (GG) © ® ™💙 said:

Tricky Dicky.

That nickname is still the highest graded!

Nixon Mickey.jpg

On 11/25/2023 at 10:10 AM, Paul (GG) © ® ™💙 said:

Well I'm sorry.

Do you want me to detail every book published in 1953 in the PCH genre? I'm not going to do that. I have a life.

I’ll give my brief opinion! 😛

1950-51 PCH started picking up steam. In ‘52 it was in full swing with great art and stories. By ‘53 most PCH publishers competing with each other and of course with EC, started to out “gore” each other for the most shocking title on the newsstand. This resulted in some notable and highly collected issues but not always the better art and stories. Ending with the banning of most anything horror or crime related with the formation of the CCA. That is why 1952 is my personal sweet spot for PCH, the true Golden age of PCH. Of course others will disagree, but this is just one collector’s opinion.

On 11/25/2023 at 3:45 PM, Jayman said:

1950-51 PCH started picking up steam. In ‘52 it was in full swing with great art and stories. By ‘53 most PCH publishers competing with each other and of course with EC, started to out “gore” each other for the most shocking title on the newsstand. This resulted in some notable and highly collected issues but not always the better art and stories. Ending with the banning of most anything horror or crime related with the formation of the CCA. That is why 1952 is my personal sweet spot for PCH, the true Golden age of PCH. Of course others will disagree, but this is just one collector’s opinion.

It's all subjective. I'm good with that meister.

On 11/25/2023 at 10:46 AM, Paul (GG) © ® ™💙 said:

It's all subjective. I'm good with that meister.

It’s all good! I have many ‘53 books that are classic and some of my favorites! Tons a good material there obviously. It’s  just that in ‘52 there was no wolf barking at the door. Just nice creative horror stories! :foryou:

On 11/25/2023 at 3:55 PM, Jayman said:

It’s all good! I have many ‘53 books that are classic and some of my favorites! Tons a good material there obviously. It’s  just that in ‘52 there was no wolf barking at the door. Just nice creative horror stories! :foryou:

I'm not saying that '53 is the best year for PCH, I'm just sayin' it's my favourite.  :smile:  <3  :foryou:

On 11/25/2023 at 7:45 AM, Jayman said:

Yeah but from about 1952-1954 they just kept ramping up the shock/gore factor. This one from 1953 drives home the point. I may be a little weird but if I were a kid at the newstand this would have gotton my dime a  lot faster than Bugs or Superman! 

IMG_7773.jpeg

Edited by Robot Man

On 11/25/2023 at 3:59 PM, Robot Man said:

this would have gotton my fime a  lot faster than Bugs or Superman! 

Is this a code word for virginity?  :insane: