• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Jan 11-14, 2024 Auction
3 3

267 posts in this topic

On 12/7/2023 at 8:05 AM, delekkerste said:

There are a lot of wonderful pieces of DC original art in this sale from the estate of Kevin Brogan, who sadly passed away last month aged just 62. People here may have seen him at conventions and known him as the DC/Mid-Atlantic representative for the Hero Initiative charity. I met him a number of times over the years and actually had lunch with him just this past May. I was shocked to learn of his untimely passing recently. :frown:

The art pieces are labeled "From the Estate of Kevin Brogan" but I suspect that some/all of these big Silver Age DC books may be from the estate as well, as that was very much his jam. R.I.P. Kevin. :sorry: 

Most of the big SA/GA books are from another collector.  

On 12/6/2023 at 11:42 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Not sure if people are starting to list primo stuff in the Jan auction due to fears about the economy or some other reason, but as great as the OA listings are for this auction, those still into comic books (I still dabble here and there) are amazed by the offerings and will be watching very closely for records to be set:

• ASM #1 CGC 9.8 white pages (curator copy)
  • Showcase #4 CGC 9.6 white pages (Richard, did you own this book previously?)
  • Showcase #4 CGC 8.0
  • Hulk 1 CGC 9.2 white pages
  • Superman 1 CGC 7.0
  • All Star Comics #8 CGC 8 CGC 9.4 (1st Wonder Woman)
  • Batman #1 CGC 7.0
  • B&B #28 CGC 9.6 white pages (1st Justice League)
  • ASM #9 cgc 9.8 (1st Electro)
  • Avengers #4 cgc 9.8 (1st Silver Age Captain America)
  • Silver Surfer #1 cgc 9.8 (Boston Pedigree)
  • FF #48 CGC 9.8 (1st Surfer and Galactus)
  • HOS #92 CGC 9.8 (1st swamp thing)
  • Captain America #100 CGC 9.9 White pages
  • Hulk 181 CGC 9.8
  • etc

Hakes sold the 9.6 ASM #1 for over $500k w the juice....we thinking $750K for the 9.8 pedigree or higher? 

For ASM 1?   3m?    I’d take that bet.     I was actually wondering if that 9.6 went so strong because it was an upgrade candidate.     Note there is a 2nd 9.8 on the census now after many years of there being a single 9.8.

On 12/7/2023 at 2:53 PM, Bronty said:

For ASM 1?   3m?    I’d take that bet.     I was actually wondering if that 9.6 went so strong because it was an upgrade candidate.     Note there is a 2nd 9.8 on the census now after many years of there being a single 9.8.

Sounds crazy, I know.  Let’s see what happens when it sells in Jan

On 12/7/2023 at 1:53 PM, Bronty said:

The copy in the auction is the "Curator" copy. There was a Curator ASM #1 that was a 9.6. Unless there are two Curators it's sitting in a 9.8 slab now. 

On 12/6/2023 at 11:42 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Not sure if people are starting to list primo stuff in the Jan auction due to fears about the economy or some other reason, but as great as the OA listings are for this auction, those still into comic books (I still dabble here and there) are amazed by the offerings and will be watching very closely for records to be set:

• ASM #1 CGC 9.8 white pages (curator copy)
  • Showcase #4 CGC 9.6 white pages (Richard, did you own this book previously?)
  • Showcase #4 CGC 8.0
  • Hulk 1 CGC 9.2 white pages
  • Superman 1 CGC 7.0
  • All Star Comics #8 CGC 8 CGC 9.4 (1st Wonder Woman)
  • Batman #1 CGC 7.0
  • B&B #28 CGC 9.6 white pages (1st Justice League)
  • ASM #9 cgc 9.8 (1st Electro)
  • Avengers #4 cgc 9.8 (1st Silver Age Captain America)
  • Silver Surfer #1 cgc 9.8 (Boston Pedigree)
  • FF #48 CGC 9.8 (1st Surfer and Galactus)
  • HOS #92 CGC 9.8 (1st swamp thing)
  • Captain America #100 CGC 9.9 White pages
  • Hulk 181 CGC 9.8
  • etc

Somebody's cashing out. 

On 12/8/2023 at 3:53 AM, Bronty said:

This 9.8 Curator IS the second 9.8 on the census.  The single 9.8 that's been there all alone for many years is a non-pedigree copy that's owned by Brulato.

On 12/7/2023 at 11:05 PM, FlyingDonut said:

Also monster books in January means no income tax paid on them until April 2025, for what that's worth.

I think there's a formula for determining if you have to pay estimated withholding tax.

On 12/7/2023 at 12:19 PM, FlyingDonut said:

Easy seven figures.

With the holidays out of the way and with the Fed and Treasury doing their best to reinflate the Everything Bubble, I'm expecting prices to be high come in January across the board. :sorry: