• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Jan 11-14, 2024 Auction
3 3

267 posts in this topic

On 1/11/2024 at 3:30 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

You are aware the same exact book sold in June 2022 for $1.62 Million, right? 

Definitely not a positive sign for the market.

It's certainly nothing to do backflips over, I agree. But it depends on how you view the overall slabbed book market from 2020 or so to the present.

Given how many slab values have eaten themselves since the peaks of 2022 (30-70% dips depending on the book and grade)...10% off the top feels downright resilient in the face of how a lot of comics have performed since that time. 

This is a relatively quick public flip for a book of that stature. And selling it now, given how underwhelming the slabbed market has been in 2023-now, isn't something I would have advised unless left with no choice. 

On 1/11/2024 at 5:06 PM, comix4fun said:

It's certainly nothing to do backflips over, I agree. But it depends on how you view the overall slabbed book market from 2020 or so to the present.

Given how many slab values have eaten themselves since the peaks of 2022 (30-70% dips depending on the book and grade)...10% off the top feels downright resilient in the face of how a lot of comics have performed since that time. 

This is a relatively quick public flip for a book of that stature. And selling it now, given how underwhelming the slabbed market has been in 2023-now, isn't something I would have advised unless left with no choice. 

More than a 10% haircut b/c you have to factor in taxes (that's a lotta dough on a $1.5M book, even at a mere 5% state tax rate) + consignment fees (if any)

Edited by jjonahjameson11

On 1/11/2024 at 4:25 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

More than a 10% haircut b/c you have to factor in taxes (that's a lotta dough on a $1.5M book, even at a mere 5% state tax rate) + consignment fees (if any)

But I was talking about the sale's price difference between them and not the seller's net take. 
I was comparing this result to, say, the guy who bought a CGC 9.8 Hulk 181 in September of 2022 for $138,000 only to see the last copy sell in December of 2023 for $56,925. 
Or Giant-Size X-men #1 in 9.8 falling from $72k in late '21 to $25k in late '23.  
The All-Star looks like a recession beater compared to the bloodbath of Silver and Bronze Age destruction we've been watching unfold. 

Edited by comix4fun

On 1/11/2024 at 10:54 PM, delekkerste said:

Stocks within 0.5% of all-time highs, Bitcoin at $49K, interest rates down 100 bps from 3 months ago, gold over $2000...the animal spirits are partying like it's 1999 or 2021 again. No reason to expect anything less than fireworks in this auction. 

Someone's tune has changed in the space of a few months! 

On 1/12/2024 at 1:40 AM, Xatari said:

Ultimate Fallout 4 9.8 Djurdjevic had an uptick form a recent bloodbath ebay sale of $8500 ($15k on HA today).

I had no idea the comics market was this unmoored from reality. The OA market looks relatively sane by comparison.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 1/12/2024 at 4:29 AM, tth2 said:

Someone's tune has changed in the space of a few months! 

When the facts change... :whistle: 

The money is there now if people want to spend it. As the comics session went on yesterday, I was surprised that some of those books (like Showcase #4 and B&B #28) didn't go higher. Pretty surprising, actually. :fear: 

On 1/12/2024 at 7:22 AM, delekkerste said:

When the facts change... :whistle: 

The money is there now if people want to spend it. As the comics session went on yesterday, I was surprised that some of those books (like Showcase #4 and B&B #28) didn't go higher. Pretty surprising, actually. :fear: 

"Nobody Cares about....."

On 1/11/2024 at 1:58 PM, stinkininkin said:

I was surprised on the DD 181 page with no Daredevil. Beautiful page from key issue, but it's an all Bullseye page. Very strong IMO. It feels like Miller DD is the new Miller Dark Knight.

The #181 page surprised me too. Beautiful page, but, I didn't think a standalone Bullseye page would fetch a price like that. Standalone Elektra, sure, as that's Miller's creation and #168-181 pages featuring the character are the most prized, but, Bullseye only surprised me. Guessing it was probably a throwdown between two people who really wanted this page and that the 2nd underbidder was miles away. 

I'd be more inclined to call this one an outlier, though, and not Miller DD as the new Miller DKR. Would need to see more sales like this one to convince me, personally. 

Speaking of Daredevil, the #42 cover (1st Jester appearance) selling for $49.6K yesterday seemed like a bargain for the buyer. 

On 1/12/2024 at 12:40 AM, Xatari said:

I think the book prices actually showed signs of Stabilizing.  Hulk 181 9.8 had an uptick.  FF48 9.8 was on par.  Ultimate Fallout 4 9.8 Djurdjevic had an uptick form a recent bloodbath ebay sale of $8500 ($15k on HA today).

Many graded keys had retreated to their 2021 (or in some cases 2020 ) valuations in recent months, wiping out all gains over 2-3 years. Depending on the buyers time range for analysis, seeing a Hulk 181 selling for 10-12K less than the Q3 2021 sales price and roughly 1/2 the 2022 sales price (on the same selling venue) might seem like the time to buy back in. Had their analysis window been slightly wider in time span it might not have seemed as good a call. But HA seems to get good numbers relative to other platforms for these books consistently. If I had one I'd likely sell through them. 

On 1/12/2024 at 4:08 AM, KirbyCollector said:

I had no idea the comics market was this unmoored from reality. The OA market looks relatively sane by comparison.

Are you referring to the market swing or the book in question?

On 1/12/2024 at 8:42 AM, delekkerste said:

The #181 page surprised me too. Beautiful page, but, I didn't think a standalone Bullseye page would fetch a price like that. Standalone Elektra, sure, as that's Miller's creation and #168-181 pages featuring the character are the most prized, but, Bullseye only surprised me. Guessing it was probably a throwdown between two people who really wanted this page and that the 2nd underbidder was miles away. 

I'd be more inclined to call this one an outlier, though, and not Miller DD as the new Miller DKR. Would need to see more sales like this one to convince me, personally. 

Speaking of Daredevil, the #42 cover (1st Jester appearance) selling for $49.6K yesterday seemed like a bargain for the buyer. 

I find the comparison of these two pieces so interesting. Pre auction I would have guessed the Miller would have sold for slightly more, 3x seems crazy to me. I wonder what Mandel thought of the results. 
As you said very strong for a page without DD/Elektra. I would bet that page never sells higher ever.

On 1/12/2024 at 8:42 AM, delekkerste said:

I thought so too Gene :)..... hope you are doing well!

On 1/12/2024 at 9:22 PM, delekkerste said:

As the comics session went on yesterday, I was surprised that some of those books (like Showcase #4 and B&B #28) didn't go higher.

I wasn't.  There is a huge segment of SA collectors who will simply never buy a DC, no matter how historically important it might be.

On 1/12/2024 at 8:20 AM, KirbyCollector said:

The book in question... a variant cover which has no accurate count of its print run https://www.comichron.com/faq/ultimatefallout4sales.html

I disagree as you could say that about a lot of key books. How many Hulk 181s are out there? With UF4, we have a pretty accurate approximation from Comichron and the numbers are far less than Silver and Bronze Age.

Certainly there are a higher percentage of high grade copies given people treated comic preservation much better in the modern era. 

Miles is much more relevant to a large percentage of today’s generation. Just because we don’t feel the same about something someone else collects, doesn’t mean it doesn’t have merit or value to others. I’ve used the example recently that I don’t understand the prices for BWS Conan art as it’s irrelevant to me, however, I can understand there is a different generation to which it appeals and thus has value to those that do esteem it differently. 

I’m sure people felt the same when the OA from New Mutants 98, X-Force 1, Lee’s X-Men 1 all started selling for big numbers. “Why would someone pay so much in this market?” 

Hindsight brings much more clarity. Just different perspectives from different collectors.