• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Jan 11-14, 2024 Auction
3 3

267 posts in this topic

On 1/11/2024 at 7:42 AM, gumbydarnit said:

and I like watching you guys spend your money... GO GET EM!!!   

Stocks within 0.5% of all-time highs, Bitcoin at $49K, interest rates down 100 bps from 3 months ago, gold over $2000...the animal spirits are partying like it's 1999 or 2021 again. No reason to expect anything less than fireworks in this auction. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47zivbv5w2kb7uysi7ja

Great points, but in spite of that, I don't sense the same party atmosphere.    2021 felt like a rocketship to the moon.    I'm sure we will see some big numbers, but we're not going to see anything legitimately batshyte crazy like $3m Zeck pages IMO.   Let the mayhem begin!

Edited by Bronty

On 12/21/2023 at 11:21 AM, DougC said:

I am not the typical OA buyer as I rarely buy anything and what I do buy is usually in the $500 range. I knew the Death: the Time of Your Life post card art was coming to auction and it is my favorite piece as I used that post card as a book mark for over a decade. So I decided I would save up a bit and take a stab at it; I very foolishly thought 5K would have given me a decent shot since it was a smaller piece and only used in promotional advertisements.

I am at least glad I found out early that I was being naive... lol.

image.png.e401e426a0919adde1973e993fdadc1d.png

I was guessing 10-12 and thought I might be a player.

NOPE.

On 12/28/2023 at 9:54 PM, tth2 said:

That one was a much better image, to boot!  I'd love to see that one come back to the market.

The one currently up is one of THE Death images for me. 

On 1/11/2024 at 9:54 AM, delekkerste said:

Stocks within 0.5% of all-time highs, Bitcoin at $49K, interest rates down 100 bps from 3 months ago, gold over $2000

The question is whether investors are going to cash out for purchases or keep riding the train... choppy month ahead past vix opex, imho

On 1/11/2024 at 1:33 PM, Bronty said:

Prices so far don't seem stratospheric to me.

There were a few lots that outperformed (esp. that Perez Avengers cover, at least to me) but, overall, a friend aptly described it as "muted bidding". 

That said, I didn't think this was a particularly strong selection of art for the Platinum Session and we've seen other quiet Platinum Sessions over the past year or two only to see the buyers come out of the woodwork for the other sessions, so, I think the jury is still very much out. Could just be that there weren't any real showstoppers in this session. 

I think the real heat will be in comics today...the All-Star Comics #8 CGC 9.4 just sold for $1.5 million. hm 

Edited by delekkerste

On 1/11/2024 at 10:49 AM, delekkerste said:

There were a few lots that outperformed (esp. that Perez Avengers cover, at least to me) but, overall, a friend aptly described it as "muted bidding". 

That said, I didn't think this was a particularly strong selection of art for the Platinum Session and we've seen other quiet Platinum Sessions over the past year or two only to see the buyers come out of the woodwork for the other sessions, so, I think the jury is still very much out. Could just be that there weren't any real showstoppers in this session. 

I think the real heat will be in comics today...the All-Star Comics #8 CGC 9.4 just sold for $1.5 million. hm 

I was surprised on the DD 181 page with no Daredevil. Beautiful page from key issue, but it's an all Bullseye page. Very strong IMO. It feels like Miller DD is the new Miller Dark Knight.

Edited by stinkininkin

On 1/11/2024 at 10:58 AM, stinkininkin said:

I was surprised on the DD 181 page with no Daredevil. Beautiful page from key issue, but it's an all Bullseye page. Very strong IMO. It feels like Miller DD is the new Miller Dark Knight.

I think that 181 page in particular was a great example of Miller's sense of composition - it's incredibly dynamic, and you just want to keep looking at it.

On 12/7/2023 at 2:53 PM, Bronty said:

For ASM 1?   3m?    I’d take that bet.     I was actually wondering if that 9.6 went so strong because it was an upgrade candidate.     Note there is a 2nd 9.8 on the census now after many years of there being a single 9.8.

Well, It’s an ASM 1 not an AF15.    

3m would have been shocking.   1 and change makes sense . 

On 1/11/2024 at 2:10 PM, Bronty said:

Well, It’s an ASM 1 not an AF15.    

3m would have been shocking.   1 and change makes sense . 

Wow, seems very low to me.  I was definitely thinking $3M,  but it seems like weak results on several key books, including the ASM #1

On 1/11/2024 at 1:49 PM, delekkerste said:

You are aware the same exact book sold in June 2022 for $1.62 Million, right? 

Definitely not a positive sign for the market.

The older DC art did poorly.  The Justice League 29 splash sold for $50,400 in the Jan 2021 Heritage auction vs. $36k today.  The Hawkman 3 cover and Brave and the Bold 35 splash each sold for $36k in the November 2019 auction vs. $36k and $28,800 today.  Hawkman is definitely on the wrong side of the generational shift.

On 1/11/2024 at 4:47 PM, Kryptic1 said:

The older DC art did poorly.  The Justice League 29 splash sold for $50,400 in the Jan 2021 Heritage auction vs. $36k today.  The Hawkman 3 cover and Brave and the Bold 35 splash each sold for $36k in the November 2019 auction vs. $36k and $28,800 today.  Hawkman is definitely on the wrong side of the generational shift.

Gives me hope for the Aparo B&B Hawkman splash Sunday...